Home & Garden

where to buy deck block with embedded support bracket

  • Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 6:48 am
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 31, 2008
78 posts
26 upvotes

where to buy deck block with embedded support bracket

I am building a floating deck and shopping for some deck blocks. I don't want to place posts directly on the concrete block therefore looking for blocks that have post support bracket embedded. Something looks like below

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-12-in-x ... ck/3113745
DeckBloack.png
Any supplier in GTA carry this?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9648 posts
5038 upvotes
Paris
Never seen those in Canada.

PT Wood directly on a deck block works fine.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 31, 2008
78 posts
26 upvotes
Thanks - I thought about this method but was not sure about 2 things
1. whether the block has matching hole to install the support. I like to avoid drill holes myself. Can you confirm that the block above has matching hole?
2. Compare to a solid block, due to the hollow top, will the footing still strong enough? As far as I can see, it is going to have a lot less lateral strength
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1385 posts
1780 upvotes
strongline wrote: Thanks - I thought about this method but was not sure about 2 things
1. whether the block has matching hole to install the support. I like to avoid drill holes myself. Can you confirm that the block above has matching hole?
2. Compare to a solid block, due to the hollow top, will the footing still strong enough? As far as I can see, it is going to have a lot less lateral strength
You don't have to drill anything. The support sits on the block just like a 4x4 would. I've never seen or heard about one these breaking. Its just as strong. You're building a deck not a skyscraper.

Its a better option than what you were looking for because its adjustable. The blocks will move with the frost/thaw cycle so its very useful
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
4810 posts
1340 upvotes
Just build them directly off the concrete block like everyone else. You can angle them slightly so the water runs out.

The posts are going to outlive your decking material anyway.
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 31, 2008
78 posts
26 upvotes
Thanks all for reply. Sounds like I am over concern the rotting issue of posts, just need to have a bit of comfort knowing it can last for reasonable time.
Any suggestion for a good lumber yard in GTA? Is Homedepot stuff good enough? One of the youtube video said they deformed too much
Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2009
416 posts
511 upvotes
strongline wrote: Thanks all for reply. Sounds like I am over concern the rotting issue of posts, just need to have a bit of comfort knowing it can last for reasonable time.
Any suggestion for a good lumber yard in GTA? Is Homedepot stuff good enough? One of the youtube video said they deformed too much
If you are in the east end, try Peacock Lumber in Oshawa.
Newbie
May 25, 2020
46 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
The pylex adjustable deck supports are not CCMC approved, so if you are getting a permit you may run into an issue. That said the fact that they are not CCMC approved is, in my view, strictly a paperwork issue, and I would have no problem having my family walk on a deck supported by the adjustable pylex brackets. If you really want to use the adjustable supports to a post directly then rent or borrow a hammer drill and bolt them to the deck blocks. Otherwise like RCGA said, just lay the joists into the deck blocks like the rest of us and your deck will be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9648 posts
5038 upvotes
Paris
RaphaelG041 wrote: You don't have to drill anything. The support sits on the block just like a 4x4 would. I've never seen or heard about one these breaking. Its just as strong. You're building a deck not a skyscraper.

Its a better option than what you were looking for because its adjustable. The blocks will move with the frost/thaw cycle so its very useful
Wouldn’t lateral sheer be a huge issue? Like a wobbly table.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1270 posts
934 upvotes
Montreal
I had these installed on my deck when I bought my house. Put some helical piers screwed in the ground. My deck will never move from now on.

Top