Food & Drink

Where to buy Diamond Kosher Crystal Salt?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2024 9:55 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I couldn't bring myself to pay the $18 amazon wants when I look back at the bill from my Costco purchase last year...$5.
I did see that costco business centre sells it - may be worth a trip....
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up a box at Costco business centre for $6.79. .Price is higher than it it used to be.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
4zim wrote: Just wondering if anyone has been to highland farms recently in Scarborough? Do they have diamond kosher in stock? I need to restock and besides Costco business it’s the only place I know that sells it.
My local Fortino's sells it. They stopped selling it for a while, but saw it there last week.

The No Name kosher salt is actually pretty good, so I would check that out as well.
Oct 27, 2012
406 posts
396 upvotes
Shwa
porksoda wrote: wow yeah that is a lot, it was 4.29 or 4.79 just end of 2019.
Ya it was pretty cheap back then, but even at 6.79 it's enough to last the average person a long time
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
A friend knew I was looking for this and picked up a box for me at Bruno's Fine Foods (Richmond Hill) :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Longos. Just saw it $9.99 box.
May 7, 2008
823 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if there's some sort of shortage or some covid related reason why the price is rising...
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2136 posts
1965 upvotes
Just like yeast and flour, the supply is seasonally adjusted, and this year baking somehow took off in the spring, when it typically slows down. Most baking recipes call for Diamond Crystal kosher salt, as it's the most consistent in terms of flakes, and taste per volume. All others are variable, and only reliable when measured by weight, which is hard to do precisely using a home kitchen scale. Windsor kosher salt and Windsor table salt are in plentiful supply, at their regular price.
May 28, 2016
194 posts
255 upvotes
Anyone know where I can find Diamond Crystal in the Montreal area? None of the major chains seem to carry it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
8085 posts
3868 upvotes
Saw this stuff at Fortinos for $5.49 today, which is cheaper than anywhere else. Bought a box even though I still have quite a bit at home because of the price.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
3540 posts
3233 upvotes
Etobicoke
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Longos. Just saw it $9.99 box.
Ouch! I remember when Costco carried it a few years back it was $2.89 a box or something along those lines.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Supercooled wrote: Speaking of eclecticism, does anyone in the GTA sell maldon? Salt flakes? They are specifically from England and every cooking channel “on YouTube” seems to use them.
I bought the Maldons flakes at The Village Grocer in Unionville. I don't remember what I paid, it was a while ago and it lasts a long time.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote: Speaking of eclecticism, does anyone in the GTA sell maldon? Salt flakes? They are specifically from England and every cooking channel “on YouTube” seems to use them.

240g for $10 wow.

https://well.ca/products/maldon-sea-sal ... pIEALw_wcB
Maldon is decent and is available everywhere - but you can find better finishing flaked salts, mostly from europe and france but there are some american salts as well that are fairly decent.

You can get maldon directly from UK for cheap, if you use it a lot you can get a bucket ordered and split with folks.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
richuwo11 wrote: The No Name kosher salt is actually pretty good, so I would check that out as well.
No Name kosher salt is what I use and I find it to be very strong. I have to use it quite sparingly and often struggle finding a balance of how much to use to get good coverage and not end up with something overly salty.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
13inches wrote: No Name kosher salt is what I use and I find it to be very strong. I have to use it quite sparingly and often struggle finding a balance of how much to use to get good coverage and not end up with something overly salty.
got a photo of the grains? :)