• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2020 2:45 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
579 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy dumbbells in the GTA?

I am imagining shipping will be huge due to the weight, so I would need to pick it up, or is it not that bad..?

I looked at eBay and it seemed fine. But I am looking for other suggestions.
I got Fido and Public Mobile. [removed solicitation] ????
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7133 posts
2746 upvotes
GTA
Fitness Depot....check others for who has a deal.
Kijiji is the best for weights, always decent prices in the GTA
Mar 16, 2018
918 posts
1027 upvotes
Hamilton
Seconded Fitness Depot - they usually have the best prices for new stuff. Depending on your needs, I'm a huge fan of PowerBlocks - I have the Sport EXP's up to 70 lb's (they expand from 50 to 90) and they take up very little space for how much weight they are capable of replacing. There's usually some used Powerblocks on kijiji in the GTA.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
579 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
How about about Bowflex?

Also, kijiji seems silly - the prices there are not much cheaper than retail stores and the demand is huge (judging by "Ad views" number).
I got Fido and Public Mobile. [removed solicitation] ????
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
john5170 wrote: How about about Bowflex?

Also, kijiji seems silly - the prices there are not much cheaper than retail stores and the demand is huge (judging by "Ad views" number).
Everyone i know who bought a bowflex uses it as a laundry drying rack.
Mar 16, 2018
918 posts
1027 upvotes
Hamilton
john5170 wrote: How about about Bowflex?
It's hard to think of anyone that should buy a bowflex, ever- elastic restitance from the "bows" is non-linear, so muscles are only experiencing appropriate resistance at a small part of the range of motion when you've appropraitely stretched the resistance material... This is further compounded by many common exercises only placing the muscle you want to target under useful tension at certain points (ex a shoulder press really only engages the deltoid muscles when your upper arms are perpendicular to the ground - before that point your supraspinatus is doing a lot of the work). So on a blowflex, most of the range of motion is useless and hopefully the part of the exercise that actually benefits you lines up with the "bow" stretching enough, because if it doesn't, the entire exercise is a largely a waste of time. Even for a sedentary older person that wants to start a strength training program for their health, I couldn't see how any of the Bowflex's seated exercises would build bone density on important weight bearing structures like the hip, femur, or spine.

The only product Bowflex produces that seems appropriate are their Selectech Dumbbells, but they are expensive and made out of plastic that is known to break. A high quality adjustable bench is about $110- a set of dumbells for most people could range in price from $150-$400, and a chinup bar costs $50... You've just put together a home gym for your whole body for a fraction of the cost of a Bowflex.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2452 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kijiji is all about timing and perseverance, you can't expect to get a good deal right off the bat or at all if you don't try asking. Lots of window shoppers and flakes on kijiji so your chances are better than you think. Most of my stuff I got in a single deal, a bench, a barbell and 160lbs in plates for something like $90. Added two dumbell bars from walmart for like $8 each and a easy curl bar for $25.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-exercise-equipm ... nFlag=true

Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3144 posts
758 upvotes
Ancaster
Another vote for Fitness Depot. I've always found they had the cheapest prices....aside from buying used.
Dec 1, 2018
465 posts
518 upvotes
Quality wise. I’m not sure but
Walmart and Canadian Tire sell dumbbells as well
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Costco
Holy ish!! When did Costco start selling cages, hex bars, rings, plyo box, etc?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: Holy ish!! When did Costco start selling cages, hex bars, rings, plyo box, etc?
I buy all my gear at Costco.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
trane0 wrote: I buy all my gear at Costco.
If I didn’t already have everything I need, I’d be shopping there too!
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1237 posts
714 upvotes
Markham
amz155 wrote: Holy ish!! When did Costco start selling cages, hex bars, rings, plyo box, etc?
Does it bother anyone else that the manufacturer pictures of people using the power rack show them using it wrong? What's the point benching and squatting with a power rack so that the pins can't protect you?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3118 posts
590 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: If I didn’t already have everything I need, I’d be shopping there too!
Re-read my comment again for the double-entendre. As in, I get it in the pharmacy section ;-)
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
bdckr wrote: Does it bother anyone else that the manufacturer pictures of people using the power rack show them using it wrong? What's the point benching and squatting with a power rack so that the pins can't protect you?
I find that’s the case with a lot of stock photos of people engaged in resistance training. Not equipment-related, but push ups seem to be the worst 🤪
trane0 wrote: Re-read my comment again for the double-entendre. As in, I get it in the pharmacy section ;-)
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes fake natty, eh?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15863 posts
10534 upvotes
Toronto
OP asked for dumbbells
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10690 posts
4057 upvotes
john5170 wrote: I am imagining shipping will be huge due to the weight, so I would need to pick it up, or is it not that bad..?

I looked at eBay and it seemed fine. But I am looking for other suggestions.
kijiji

Costco has a nice set of dumbbells with a storage rack (I have it). Looks like this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 8254215741

Fitness depot

There are so many otions
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus