Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2014
5486 posts
2513 upvotes

Where to buy fresh MAHI MAHI fillet?

Does any fish place sell fresh mahi mahi in the Mississauga area? What is the price like?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
my peng you's store sometimes have mahi mahi. not in GTA doe.
:confused:
Oct 27, 2012
362 posts
293 upvotes
Shwa
you can't get fresh mahi mahi anywhere this far from the ocean. it is all flash frozen and thawed out to appear fresh.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9868 posts
4197 upvotes
Dirt cheap mahi mahi at No Frills this week, 113g for $1, frozen fillet.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1434 posts
73 upvotes
i think OP is looking for fresh - i have seen frozen versions at costco
lecale wrote: Dirt cheap mahi mahi at No Frills this week, 113g for $1, frozen fillet.
[removed]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9868 posts
4197 upvotes
EchoAngel911 wrote: i think OP is looking for fresh - i have seen frozen versions at costco
Just marveling that you can get it for $4/lb frozen. That's dirt cheap.
May 28, 2012
11377 posts
3597 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought the frozen mahi mahi fillets from Costco once...was underwhelmed, but I think that's more of a reflection on the type of fish than anything. I did not like the texture or flavour of it.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12048 posts
2381 upvotes
Toronto
I had mahi mahi in St. Lucia and loved it. So much more flavourful and plump than the fish here. Overall, I learned that Saltwater fish is much better than fresh water fish, which we have been sold as being great here, but really is flavourless.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
548 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
lecale wrote: Dirt cheap mahi mahi at No Frills this week, 113g for $1, frozen fillet.
No Frills has low quality but wild mahi mahi and pink salmon on this week. Chinese origin, works out to $4/lb.

I tried both tonight, sous vide 20 minutes, 55 C.

The salmon was barely acceptable. Sinewy, but at least it didn't smell.

The mahi mahi had a smell, a dull color, and poor texture. It was dry tasting, yet soggy at the same time.

I left a big pile of leftovers for the feral cats. It'll be gone by midnight.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9868 posts
4197 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: No Frills has low quality but wild mahi mahi and pink salmon on this week. Chinese origin, works out to $4/lb.

I tried both tonight, sous vide 20 minutes, 55 C.

The salmon was barely acceptable. Sinewy, but at least it didn't smell.

The mahi mahi had a smell, a dull color, and poor texture. It was dry tasting, yet soggy at the same time.

I left a big pile of leftovers for the feral cats. It'll be gone by midnight.
Well it was cheaper than bologna, wasn't it ;) ?
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1418 posts
107 upvotes
tried buying "Fresh" cod from Costco once, it smelled and texture was off. Trashed the whole pack of fish.
Never buying fish from Costco again!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
548 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
edvc520 wrote: tried buying "Fresh" cod from Costco once, it smelled and texture was off. Trashed the whole pack of fish.
Never buying fish from Costco again!
I have had good cod, haddock, trout, and salmon from Costco in London and Ajax. Maybe it depends on which place. In some places, I pierce the tray and smell before buying.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Apr 5, 2009
958 posts
244 upvotes
Bump. Anyone know where to find Mahi Mahi in 2021? (Given I won't be travelling south anytime soon).
Jun 16, 2012
69 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
If you want to save money and watch your weight. i suggest just getting one mahi.

Yes, I think I'll have the mahi-mahi, but can I get it with just one mahi? Because I'm not that hungry.

The House Bunny2008
The House Bunny is a 2008 film about a former Playboy bunny who signs up to be the new house mother at an unnamed university's nerdiest sorority, Zeta Alpha Zeta, after being kicked out of the Playboy Mansion. more »
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46334 posts
9351 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
jkiller wrote: If you want to save money and watch your weight. i suggest just getting one mahi.

Yes, I think I'll have the mahi-mahi, but can I get it with just one mahi? Because I'm not that hungry.

The House Bunny2008
The House Bunny is a 2008 film about a former Playboy bunny who signs up to be the new house mother at an unnamed university's nerdiest sorority, Zeta Alpha Zeta, after being kicked out of the Playboy Mansion. more »
Lol i remember that movie now