Where to buy pc stuff these days?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2019 12:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
313 posts
264 upvotes

Where to buy pc stuff these days?

Hey guys. I used to buy my pc parts from ncix but learned that they closed a while back(with a bunch of craziness apparently) and I don't know where to buy stuff from now. Typically I buy stuff every 5-7 years at most, so I'm out of the loop. Is tiger direct still good? Or does everyone go to newegg now? Thank you

Edit: just tried both tiger and newegg, newegg is a disaster in terms of speed and sorting out shipping fees/a lot of items aren't even sold by them. Tiger on the other hand is very fast, but sparse on information unless you click through to an items page, and there's no option on mobile to sort by price, only price ranges, we're in wtf.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
Didn't Tiger Direct go bankrupt too? This was before NCIX I thought.

That said, I used Amazon and Memory Express for my last build. But it was a NUC so I only really needed the NUC, RAM, and a couple SSDs.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6065 posts
3145 upvotes
Mississauga
I think Tiger Direct still has an online presence, they just closed all their bricks and mortar stores.

Canada Computers is an option of you need something right away.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3217 posts
1769 upvotes
Burlington
My last build was probably 75% newegg and 25% canada computers.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
313 posts
264 upvotes
I really miss ncix :/ friggin hell, okay, I'll check out memory express and Canada computers then. I guess the good thing about memory express is that there's a physical building on my city. Thanks guys.
Dec 2, 2010
265 posts
300 upvotes
Terrace
95% of what I buy now that NCIX closed shop is from Amazon. They have fast shipping, reasonable prices and good customer service. Newegg has shitty customer service and canada computers is even worse.
Mar 2, 2017
175 posts
146 upvotes
x3fann wrote: I guess the good thing about memory express is that there's a physical building on my city.
If you've got a local Memory Express, then to me that's the easy answer. No shipping costs. Easy returns. They'll also price match the on-line competition, beat them by 10% and won't consider the shipping price with their comparison. I've also personally had some pretty fantastic service from them, so they've earned me as a long term customer, but as always, YMMV on service.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34936 posts
4250 upvotes
Winnipeg
amazon, newegg, memoryexpress, ebay newegg store for people out west, canada computer if available locally as their shipping tends to kill the deal.
Jun 4, 2018
391 posts
275 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
blackstaffer wrote: 95% of what I buy now that NCIX closed shop is from Amazon. They have fast shipping, reasonable prices and good customer service. Newegg has shitty customer service and canada computers is even worse.
Yeah I like Amazon too. Canada Computers customer service is not good but the online store itself seems to be very competent in getting orders processed and delivered quickly. I'd have no hesitation ordering online from Canada Computers or Amazon.

As for Tiger Direct, it seems as though much of their stock is shipped from the US so delivery times can be lengthy, especially compared to Amazon. Newegg shipping prices are a complete turn off for me, no reason for the huge discrepancies in shipping costs.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1971 posts
1026 upvotes
GTA
Mix & match as everyone else mentioned. Newegg.ca, Mike's Computer Shop, Canada Computers, Memory Express, seldom Amazon.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
313 posts
264 upvotes
Yeah I went to memory express, pretty good stuff and service. Thanks guys!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
ddot98 wrote: If you've got a local Memory Express, then to me that's the easy answer.
Everything else you said is valid, but I hate local Memex solely because of parking.
First it was Richmond which is a disaster for a thousand other reasons, but Burnaby is even worse.
Victoria isn't bad, but that's a bit far from Vancouver. Langley is also far.

Sometimes I'd rather just pay the $9 shipping charge than attempt to visit in person...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
ME doing a slow creep into GTA, opening a store in Hamilton soon. I hope they avoid the mistakes NCIX made. heh like many many mistakes.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12216 posts
3363 upvotes
newegg/ebay newegg and mikes

problem with mikes is their shipping is shit (the actual shipping method) and then most of the time if you buy from newegg you get free or close to free shipping

good thing about mike is they honor price matching + 10%
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Jul 23, 2003
513 posts
31 upvotes
Chatham
Build 2 computers last year. Most of parts came from amazon.ca as they were just cheaper. Couple of items I could not find, so ordered from Newegg.ca (ebay). I would prefer buying locally (CanadaComputers close by), but they were either way more expensive or didn't have what I needed. I kinda miss NCIX.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4322 posts
4375 upvotes
Vancouver
+1 for Memory Express. Decide what parts you want, find the best price anywhere else, and they'll beat it. It's even worthwhile to have them assemble it for you, since they don't charge too much and they take responsibility for any parts that don't work without you having to argue that it wasn't you that broke it.

For price comparison, try Canada Computers.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1971 posts
1026 upvotes
GTA
sexyj wrote: newegg/ebay newegg and mikes

problem with mikes is their shipping is shit (the actual shipping method) and then most of the time if you buy from newegg you get free or close to free shipping

good thing about mike is they honor price matching + 10%
What happened with them, did something change? In Jan of 2018, I ordered from them an i7-8700 (non-K), Ontario wasn't in stock so they shipped from B/C via Purolator and I had to sign for my CPU, only took 4-5 days if I remember correctly. Had no issues with parcel being damaged or etc. But like I said it came from BC, because Ontario had 0 stock. It's been a year and a half now, has something changed?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25941 posts
3258 upvotes
Montreal
Newegg. Those idiots still don't charge PST for orders shipping to Quebec. 🤣
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12216 posts
3363 upvotes
mostly because they're a drop shipper, if you order multiple items from different "warehouse". The items will ship with different courier.

So unless you are always at home and able to wait for packages, mikes sucks for that.

For example, I ordered 2 items last week. 1st thing arrived 2 days ago. Now the second item is supposed to arrive tmr with a courier i never dealt with before, so I don't know the approximate time they are coming. I now have to wait for the whole day if they come before "the end of the day" tomorrow.
heyyahblah wrote: What happened with them, did something change? In Jan of 2018, I ordered from them an i7-8700 (non-K), Ontario wasn't in stock so they shipped from B/C via Purolator and I had to sign for my CPU, only took 4-5 days if I remember correctly. Had no issues with parcel being damaged or etc. But like I said it came from BC, because Ontario had 0 stock. It's been a year and a half now, has something changed?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop