Food & Drink

Where to buy persimmon fruits in North York??

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2011 1:04 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver

Where to buy persimmon fruits in North York??

I've seen some at Dominos,but they were as hard as rock at 1.50/each. Are there any fruit markets that sell these cheaper and already ripped?
29 replies
Jan 13, 2009
776 posts
12 upvotes
Any chinese supermarket would have these. Can't name a price off the top of my head but you can buy a whole crate of it if you want.
Jul 28, 2008
880 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
T&T, not sure what you mean about "already ripped" though. Do oranges come "already peeled"? :S
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9846 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
What do you mean?.. which types of persimmons are you looking for??.. Fuyu or Hachiya? Fuyu, FYI is best eatten when hard. At that time they're sweet and crunchy. Hachiya's on the other hand cannot be eatten when it's hard.. you have to put em in a bag with an apple to ripen.

My Grandma's Hachiya persimmon tree in Cali:

[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 0480_n.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 6438_n.jpg[/IMG]

My Grandma's Fuyu persimmon tree in Cali:
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 9152_n.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12425 posts
2170 upvotes
I've only had Fuyu, but I think they are much much better when ripe, not hard. I forget the price, but we buy them by the case all the time from asian supermarkets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9846 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
slowtyper wrote: I've only had Fuyu, but I think they are much much better when ripe, not hard. I forget the price, but we buy them by the case all the time from asian supermarkets.

If you like Fuyu when ripe then you would love Hachiya's! Hachiya's are known as the "better" persimmon and it's obviously more expensive too. When ripened...peel, cut up and throw some ice on it and serve it super cold on a summer day.. YUM! :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1004 upvotes
N/A
4flava wrote: What do you mean?.. which types of persimmons are you looking for??.. Fuyu or Hachiya? Fuyu, FYI is best eatten when hard. At that time they're sweet and crunchy. Hachiya's on the other hand cannot be eatten when it's hard.. you have to put em in a bag with an apple to ripen.

My Grandma's Hachiya persimmon tree in Cali:

My Grandma's Fuyu persimmon tree in Cali:
how does your grandma feel about adoptions?

persimmon is my top 3 favourite fruit. i can have a dozen a day easily. in fact, i have done that many times.

with the fuyu type, i like them best when they are a little soft, not rock hard, although, i like them hard too.

with hachiya type, i like them super soft, when it's a ripe tomato state. i have a few ripening right now,,, yep, gonna help myself to a hachiya right now!
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
I checked 8 supermarkets and 6 chinese stores,inlcluding 1 chinese supermarket and none of them had any persimmons. I asked a guy at one of them he said persimmons are only available in October-December :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9846 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
ippon wrote: how does your grandma feel about adoptions?

persimmon is my top 3 favourite fruit. i can have a dozen a day easily. in fact, i have done that many times.

with the fuyu type, i like them best when they are a little soft, not rock hard, although, i like them hard too.

with hachiya type, i like them super soft, when it's a ripe tomato state. i have a few ripening right now,,, yep, gonna help myself to a hachiya right now!
LMAO.. my grandma is pretty open minded.. but you don't need to be her grandson to get some of those persimmons. My aunts and uncles also have many persimmon trees too and they're HUGE! they produce so much fruit on them that it's actually a nuisance cuz it causes alot of mess. Those persimmons are amazing though.. they grow to be MUCH bigger than the ones that you find here... I wish I can bring them back with me. :(
dazz wrote: I checked 8 supermarkets and 6 chinese stores,inlcluding 1 chinese supermarket and none of them had any persimmons. I asked a guy at one of them he said persimmons are only available in October-December :(
Dude, where abouts are you located(major intersection) and how far are you willing to commute??.. do you drive??... I just got back from No Frills and they had a bunch of Fuyu's although not that fresh lookin. I've seen both types of persimmons at most supermarkets that I've visited lately.

Check it out... HMART in both North York and R.Hill location have persimmons onsale.. http://www.hmartca.com/mall/flyer_01.html (bottom left corner)
Korean persimmons are amazingly good.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2781 posts
842 upvotes
T&T has them for sure.

The one at STeeles/Warden has a lot of exotic fruits.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
4flava wrote: LMAO.. my grandma is pretty open minded.. but you don't need to be her grandson to get some of those persimmons. My aunts and uncles also have many persimmon trees too and they're HUGE! they produce so much fruit on them that it's actually a nuisance cuz it causes alot of mess. Those persimmons are amazing though.. they grow to be MUCH bigger than the ones that you find here... I wish I can bring them back with me. :(

Dude, where abouts are you located(major intersection) and how far are you willing to commute??.. do you drive??... I just got back from No Frills and they had a bunch of Fuyu's although not that fresh lookin. I've seen both types of persimmons at most supermarkets that I've visited lately.

Check it out... HMART in both North York and R.Hill location have persimmons onsale.. http://www.hmartca.com/mall/flyer_01.html (bottom left corner)
Korean persimmons are amazingly good.

Yes I do drive and willing to drive FAR to get a lot of soft juicy persimmons :) I live right at Yonge and Finch Intersection. I 'll check the Hmart tonight..
What's Fuyu? Is that the same as persimmon?

Any other location on whereabout of those fruits are greatly appreciated. I feel like if I don't have some I will die... :( Maybe I am pregnant...pregnant guy!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9846 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Yes I do drive and willing to drive FAR to get a lot of soft juicy persimmons :) I live right at Yonge and Finch Intersection. I 'll check the Hmart tonight..
What's Fuyu? Is that the same as persimmon?

Any other location on whereabout of those fruits are greatly appreciated. I feel like if I don't have some I will die... :( Maybe I am pregnant...pregnant guy!

Fuyu is a type of persimmon.. see my pictures that I posted above. There are 2 types.. Fuyu( flatter one ) and the Hachiya type (pointy ones) that cannot be eatten when hard.

I was just at Foody Mart this weekend at Hwy 7 and McCowan and they have lots. Also was at the No Frills off Centre Street inbetween Dufferin and Bathurst.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Saw Fuyu persimmons at Empress Walk Loblaws this afternoon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6931 posts
2574 upvotes
Vancouver
4flava wrote: Fuyu is a type of persimmon.. see my pictures that I posted above. There are 2 types.. Fuyu( flatter one ) and the Hachiya type (pointy ones) that cannot be eatten when hard.

I was just at Foody Mart this weekend at Hwy 7 and McCowan and they have lots. Also was at the No Frills off Centre Street inbetween Dufferin and Bathurst.

Thanks!!!! I got 2 bags from Hmart just now at 5300 street. It's the Fuyu ones I suppose as they are hard as apples,but also pretty good. Though if I had a choice, I'd definitely go for the soft ones. It's my first time ever trying the hard persimmons. Never knew they can be eaten that way. There were so many times in the past I'd go to the store,touch them,roll my eyes up on how hard they are and walk away... :(

Did you see any Hachiya or those are all Fuyu's at NoFrills and Foody Mart?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9846 posts
2258 upvotes
Toronto
dazz wrote: Thanks!!!! I got 2 bags from Hmart just now at 5300 street. It's the Fuyu ones I suppose as they are hard as apples,but also pretty good. Though if I had a choice, I'd definitely go for the soft ones. It's my first time ever trying the hard persimmons. Never knew they can be eaten that way. There were so many times in the past I'd go to the store,touch them,roll my eyes up on how hard they are and walk away... :(

Did you see any Hachiya or those are all Fuyu's at NoFrills and Foody Mart?

No Prob. :)

I love to have the Fuyu's when it's semi hard.. it has a unique crunch when you bite to the center but if you prefer the enjoy persimmons soft then it's hands down gotta be Hachiya's but they take along time to fully ripen but you can speed the process but leaving it in a bag with an apple so that it ripens faster.

I do remember seeing hachiya's in Foody mart and also at Sobey's 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, so please note! ONLY fuyu's can be eatten hard... don't even try Hachiya's when they're hard cuz you're gonna get a whole mouth of a bitter grime.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1004 upvotes
N/A
if you like the fuyu a bit on the soft side, just let it ripe at room temp for a few days.

with hachiya, I always let it go FULLY ripe, because the amount of tanin left over is VERY unpredictable. it is ever so unpleasant when you bite into a persimmon that hasn't had the tanin leached out.

I think the lowest price I've seen so far for hachiya is a buck a piece.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6457 posts
821 upvotes
BC
duckdown wrote: such a pretty looking fruit, what does it taste like?
Good question! I have seen them in stores but have no idea what they are like.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12425 posts
2170 upvotes
duckdown wrote: such a pretty looking fruit, what does it taste like?
You just lost a lot of man points for that sentence.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1004 upvotes
N/A
texture-wise, the closest I can think of is papaya, but it tastes nothing like papaya.
I cannot think of any fruit that tastes like this.
it has a mellow sweetness, and no acidity, and almost no scent.
when unripe, there is a lot of tannin in the flesh, and it is really unpleasant, but when ripe, it is heavenly.
it is an exotic fruit by canadian standard, but it isn't tropical.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)