Where to buy PEX tools and what brand for DIY

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 8:33 pm
Sep 23, 2019
298 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy PEX tools and what brand for DIY

I have an old cottage that needs some plumbing fixes. So I am considering getting PEX tools:
- crimper
- cutter
- ring removal
Any recommendations for the brand and where to buy if the tools will be used just occasionally?

Thanks!
16 replies
Jun 10, 2003
806 posts
214 upvotes
Halifax
I picked up the 3/4 and 1/2 tool from princess auto on sale for $45 a month ago. Have used both sides and no issues at all, I love how easy it is. Biggest probelm is the tools size, if you are only doing 1/2" the tool wont fit into tighter spaces.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
+1 to PA, even without a sale they are the cheapest around. The crimper was also about an inch shorter than the brand name ones sold at HD, which was helpful in getting into tight spaces.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
Sorry I did not see that
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
May 22, 2007
515 posts
332 upvotes
cambridge
Instead of buying the tools rather get the pex shark bite fittings which just slide on, no crimping required. Much easier.
Sep 23, 2019
298 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
macdonlg wrote: Instead of buying the tools rather get the pex shark bite fittings which just slide on, no crimping required. Much easier.
My plan is for a few 3/4 pipes use shark bite fittings, but for more common 1/2 pipes just get a cramp tool and all the much cheaper fittings.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
438 upvotes
East York, ON
do not put sharkbites behind the wall
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6222 posts
694 upvotes
Quebec
macdonlg wrote: Instead of buying the tools rather get the pex shark bite fittings which just slide on, no crimping required. Much easier.
i don't remember what sharkbite and the like actually say about reusing after removal, but mine leaked. also they are not as good for surviving a freeze.
Dec 21, 2020
946 posts
822 upvotes
I bought this set from Amazon. Used it to replumb my entire basement. It has all three tools you would ever need and also handles pipes from 3/8" to 1".
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I know my brother and I replaced all the plumbing with some pex stuff under his in-laws cottage (all sand underneath) and that jerkwad made me crawl under the cottage to do the bulk of the work. First day of work the crimper was all manual. For the second day (he did with my Dad) he was under the cottage and had bought himself one that was slightly mechanically assisted which was twice what he paid for the first one, and 100% easier to use in the cold and wet of that weekend.

This was about 5 years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4998 upvotes
Toronto
RedFlagAlias wrote: I have an old cottage that needs some plumbing fixes. So I am considering getting PEX tools:
- crimper
- cutter
- ring removal
Any recommendations for the brand and where to buy if the tools will be used just occasionally?

Thanks!
I pulled all the copper out of my small cottage a few years ago and redid everything with PEX. Awesome - I used the Princess Auto crimper tool and made sure all my plumbing is easy to access under the cabin. One kitchen sink, one 3-piece bath, one water heater, so pretty simple.

Way better for freeze/thaw cycles too if you happen to have any water left in the system. Slope it all towards two spigots on the exterior - one hot, one cold - for fall draining. I have a third spigot connected to the unused bathtub filler port on my shower valve. It allows me to drain the shower valve completely. All three are positioned together on the side of the cottage. Those and a couple of other points for the water heater and pressure tank make it dead easy to drain.
Sep 23, 2019
298 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote: I pulled all the copper out of my small cottage a few years ago and redid everything with PEX. Awesome - I used the Princess Auto crimper tool and made sure all my plumbing is easy to access under the cabin. One kitchen sink, one 3-piece bath, one water heater, so pretty simple.

Way better for freeze/thaw cycles too if you happen to have any water left in the system. Slope it all towards two spigots on the exterior - one hot, one cold - for fall draining. I have a third spigot connected to the unused bathtub filler port on my shower valve. It allows me to drain the shower valve completely. All three are positioned together on the side of the cottage. Those and a couple of other points for the water heater and pressure tank make it dead easy to drain.
In such a setup, do you even use a compressor to blow out water pipes?
I realized that in my current setup I do not have a spigot for hot water - just for a cold. I do have a drain for a hot water tank (40 gallons), so maybe after emptying the hot water tank and closing the water tank drain, I will be able to use a compressor from the cold line spigot to blow also hot water pipes.
I also have outdoor shower (just cold I believe) - about 50 feet away from the main building and cold and hot water in the bunky, so my setup will be more complicated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4998 upvotes
Toronto
RedFlagAlias wrote: In such a setup, do you even use a compressor to blow out water pipes?
I realized that in my current setup I do not have a spigot for hot water - just for a cold. I do have a drain for a hot water tank (40 gallons), so maybe after emptying the hot water tank and closing the water tank drain, I will be able to use a compressor from the cold line spigot to blow also hot water pipes.
I also have outdoor shower (just cold I believe) - about 50 feet away from the main building and cold and hot water in the bunky, so my setup will be more complicated.
No compressed air.

Connect hoses the hot and cold spigots, open them up
Open the shower valve spigot
Open all the faucets/shower in the cabin
Open the water heater drain - I leave a hose connected to it year-round and just pull it out and open the drain valve on the tank
Open the spigot I have off the pressure tanks - connected to a hose to drain away from under the cottage

Once the pressure is down, I disconnect the intake line from the lake from the pump (brass coupling to make it easier)

Remove the filler plug from the top of the pump - I put brass fittings here in place of the cast iron plug which rusts and is a PITA
Drain the pump - I installed brass fittings and a 1/4 turn valve to the small drain plug so I'm not dealing with that little cast iron plug

I'll usually flush the pump out with antifreeze but I leave the small drain open all winter and lightly put the brass plug in at the top

That's about it. I flush the toilet through with antifreeze - this is where I go overboard with the antifreeze. I've come up to a broken toilet once and it's no fun when it's the only one.
Pour antifreeze down all the drains. I don't drain the traps or anything - just dump antifreeze down the drains

Leave all the faucets open all winter.

8 years in never had a problem at this cottage, and we did basically the same at my parent's place for the last 60 years.
Mar 9, 2019
367 posts
211 upvotes
just bought a shark bite crimper and crimp rings. Used a Dremel to cut the old copper rings off. Pretty easy just MAKE SURE you have enough clearance for the tool before removing the old setup because you have to open it wide to get it around the crimp ring.