Home & Garden

Where to buy pre-glued oak veneer edging wider than 1 ¼ inches?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2017 1:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
145 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Where to buy pre-glued oak veneer edging wider than 1 ¼ inches?

Hi Guys,

Do you know where I can buy pre-glued oak veneer edging wider than 1 ¼ inches but less than 2 inches and about 8 feet long? I need edging with which I will be able to use iron to heat glue it. I am repairing and refinishing stairs at home.

I checked at Home Deport, Lowes, Rona and Lee Valley and pre-glued oak edging at these stores are less than one inch. I even went to Amazon but there price of shipping is twice more than the cost of the edging.

I live in Burlington and the store somewhere close to that town would be great.

Please let me know and thank you.

All the Best,

Ildasm
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7959 posts
3878 upvotes
Paris
Pre-glued edging will eventually shift and catch on someone to be torn off. Would be better for stairs to use a 1/4-3/8 strip that you glue on yourself and can be sanded.

Years ago I made a HUGE oak plywood desk and used this edge banding. when you rest your hands on the edge of the desk it's sharp. Should have been a sanded off corner which you can only do with thicker edging.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Jul 10, 2003
637 posts
49 upvotes
You can get sheets/rolls of peel and stick from true match in Whitby, I think they are 2x8. You can then spin the roll through a table saw to rip to width and end up with what you want. Just use contact cement on the other surface, presumably the top of the stringer. You can get regular sheets/rolls as well but you'll have to glue them as well. Good luck, once trimmed, sanded, and urethaned it will never come off.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1685 posts
685 upvotes
London
Jerico wrote: It's not thick enough to sand it down a wee so the stairs aren't sharp
Is is any different in thickness than the edging the OP wants.
It may be.
I can't find specs on it.

Apologies as well, because I just realized it is unglued, and the OP wants pre-glued.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7959 posts
3878 upvotes
Paris
arisk wrote: Is is any different in thickness than the edging the OP wants.
It may be.
I can't find specs on it.

Apologies as well, because I just realized it is unglued, and the OP wants pre-glued.
Possibly a little different but substantially it is not. I dont think either are thick enough. Need to rip strips wider.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Mar 23, 2015
145 posts
8 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your advice, I am going to try it out and I will let you know if it worked.

All the Best,

Ildasm

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)