• Aug 24th, 2022 10:18 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12907 posts
7652 upvotes
Brampton

Where to Buy a Raspberry Pi

Where's the cheapest place to get an Rpi 3 or Rpi 4?

I don't know if it's just me but the Rpis have gotten really expensive... The Rpi an Rpi2 were $30 locally way back and I remember thinking wow the Rpi3 was a decent deal since the price didn't increase but you get all these upgrades.

Fast forward to the present and a rPi4 is like $80-150 and a pi3 is ~$50-80
It's almost worth running an older NUC.

Or hell point me to a deal on a NUC.
26 replies
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think it was originally $30 USD, so I don't think you could have bought it for $30 CAD.

Lowest seems to be $48.65 for the 2GB model, backordered until "10/01/22" (hoping January, not Oct).

MemoryExpress sometimes put it on sale, especially March 14 (pi day).
There's a chip shortage, so that probably affects the price.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11483 posts
3878 upvotes
Winnipeg
its always 35 usd for all models except the zero and ones eol. Anything higher is due to distributor.Its a charity so no one can charge more than 35 usd for the soc.

depends what you need it for. like a rock64 can be better than an rpi3 and its around 30 usd.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5265 upvotes
Mississauga
Sayal seems to have them in stock.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12907 posts
7652 upvotes
Brampton
They were indeed 35USD but at the release of new versions I was able to snag some older ones cheaper.
Looks like the price for 3B+ and newer Pis are inflated, likely due to the chip shortage.

The only 2 for Sayal I see are the 3A(512MB RAM) and the 4 4GB (inflated).

I'll keep an eye on the links and wait for it to come back in stock and watch for a sale/price drop.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4529 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
I usually just get them "gently used" from Kijiji or FB Marketplace, but do agree that even the prices there seem to be inflated.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6924 posts
4655 upvotes
SW ON
tebore wrote: Canakit's prices are definitely inflated especially with their "Value add" kits

Pishop has low retail prices and it's great if you can pick up locally but their shipping inflates the prices.
Last time I bought Pi's was 1-2 years ago. The cheapest I could find was pishop.ca (it was called buyapi.ca then) even including shipping.

Please post later what you find.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1392 posts
1012 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote: Where's the cheapest place to get an Rpi 3 or Rpi 4?

I don't know if it's just me but the Rpis have gotten really expensive... The Rpi an Rpi2 were $30 locally way back and I remember thinking wow the Rpi3 was a decent deal since the price didn't increase but you get all these upgrades.

Fast forward to the present and a rPi4 is like $80-150 and a pi3 is ~$50-80
It's almost worth running an older NUC.

Or hell point me to a deal on a NUC.
if you want one i can see how much i paid for mine as never used it. msg me.. i know its not a sales forum but upto you
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3925 posts
1380 upvotes
Belle River
All costs factored in, such as shipping, where is the best place to buy just an RPi4 board and power supply?

For a 4GB + non-official PSU total came to:
Pishop $102
Canakit $113

Canakit's PSU is 3.5A and I've read it's supposed to be high quality.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36156 posts
9420 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have a Celeron NUC I can sell you for 100$. You just need to add your own memory and hard drive

I have some brand new Pi 3B if you prefer to stick with the Pi

I also have several brand new Asus Tinker Boards if that suits your need
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6216 posts
2354 upvotes
Does anyone know if the PI Zero got discontinued or something? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1239 posts
751 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Sayal seems to have them in stock.
I always found Sayal to be expensive for Pi's.

Canada Robotix is selling 8GB kits ($125) for the same price that Sayal is selling 4GB.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote: Does anyone know if the PI Zero got discontinued or something? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
The Zero is supposed to be in production until "at least" 2026, but the supply chain Americanization crisis means it's currently unavailable.

Mouser and CanaKit claim to be expecting stock of the W (wifi) variant before the end of the year. I'll be very surprised if said stock actually materializes, however.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5091 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote: All costs factored in, such as shipping, where is the best place to buy just an RPi4 board and power supply?

For a 4GB + non-official PSU total came to:
Pishop $102
Canakit $113

Canakit's PSU is 3.5A and I've read it's supposed to be high quality.
No wonder $99 Pi-top clearance @ Bestbuy was awesome!!!
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6216 posts
2354 upvotes
h2o- wrote: No wonder $99 Pi-top clearance @ Bestbuy was awesome!!!
Dammit I didn't realize at the time
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14979 upvotes
Bumping an older thread but I never needed or had to buy a Raspberry Pi before but recently was interested in doing a project with one recently...

Holy crap the prices are insane for these things! :eek: First of all the bare boards at the $30-$50 [US] MSRPs are completely out of the question--can't get one. Secondly even when you can get a Pi at all it's part of some bundle which has the price inflated quite a bit in most cases. But, it's a problem to even find stock of those.

Then there's the bright idea of checking Kijiji, eBay, etc. People are asking like $100-150 for an older model...that originally went for like $40 :rolleyes:

Specifically I'm looking for a 3b but definitely not paying $100 USD for one. Need a 3b specifically 'cause will be running someone's code/image on it and apparently he never updated or changed it to be compatible with any other version so needs to be a 3b. However with these insane-in-the-membrane prices, this project will have to go on hold for at least a year I guess, until prices go back to what they should be.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4529 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto
^ Yes, it's been nuts lately. I've been watching the prices to get a Pi 4 for an upgrade. Hopefully the supply-chain issues get sorted out soon.