Shopping Discussion

Where to buy salt for driveway ice melting? OOS everywhere!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2013 10:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12202 posts
1127 upvotes
Brampton
Try pouring hot water to melt the ice where it is hard to break. Good luck!
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
…of course you could also just have salt ready to go before the winter so you don't have to worry about it. :-)
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4307 upvotes
Have you tried Target?

No one really shops there so you might luck out...
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Have you tried Target?

No one really shops there so you might luck out...
I'm having the same issue, tried everywhere. Target, Walmart, Crappy Tire, Costco Home Depot, Gas Stations, Corner Stores, Grocery Stores. I get the same reaction everywhere I go.

I ask for Salt, and the sales clerk looks at me and can't stop laughing
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15442 posts
4604 upvotes
London

Some locations open 24 hours

Edit - no go here
May 31, 2008
979 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
heard on the news that some canadian tire stores are expecting large shippments last night or this morning.maybe the same for other retailers
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41272 posts
6436 upvotes
Food Basics in RH and Oak Ridges have none. Costco RH none. All should be getting stock on Thursday.
Proud to be an Indian.
Oct 19, 2008
6498 posts
2057 upvotes
GTA
Breaking up the solid 1" of ice in my driveway yesterday I noticed something odd. It was far easier to remove the ice where no salt had been applied....it required minimal effort with a steel shovel. Hitting down on the ice it would break away in large chunks, I could also slide the tip of the shovel under the ice and it would break away. Just the weight of the shovel falling would crack away large pieces of ice.

Where I had put salt down...near garage doors and on walway....down middle of the driveway etc the ice was pitted, softer....and firmly adhered to the asphalt drive or walkway. It hadn't been walked on, driven over...even a few odd patches salt went on were firmly attached to the driveway. That softer ice is a bugger to remove, doesn't break away in chunks and requires scraping till your arms are falling off!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13212 posts
2561 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Temps are slowly rising to 2C on saturday... the ice will slowly melt anyway. Try in 1-2 days, ice will be much easier to break with an ice chopper.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1392 posts
491 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Food Basics in RH and Oak Ridges have none. Costco RH none. All should be getting stock on Thursday.
I was at Costco before 9am and people hoarded all the salt.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
I went back to Home Depot this morning at 8 am to see if they got any salt. Clerk told me they had 18 skids delivered and it was gone 10 minutes after they opened. People lined up at the door before it even opened to get it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7668 posts
2456 upvotes
Maple
Tried Lowes. I was at Lowes (Jane and Hwy 7) yesterday. There was Alaskan salt 20kg for $20 bad. I picked one bag.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)