Computers & Electronics

Where to buy SSD drive for 2015 Macbook Air

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2016 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes

Where to buy SSD drive for 2015 Macbook Air

I would like to upgrade the SSD drive in my Macbook Air to at least 500GB and I was wondering where is the best place to find one at a reasonable price?

Also, is it easy to install? I am not super tech savvy.
12 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
20919 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
Follow the hot deals threads. There are several ongoing threads.
Member
User avatar
Aug 12, 2014
298 posts
146 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can buy a jet drive from Amazon. MacBook Air SSD is not the same as a 2.5" SSD, it is more like a memory stick. I upgraded mine, was pretty easy, but it will void your warrenty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
rightthing wrote: You can buy a jet drive from Amazon. MacBook Air SSD is not the same as a 2.5" SSD, it is more like a memory stick. I upgraded mine, was pretty easy, but it will void your warrenty.
None of those say they are compatible with the early 2015 Macbook Air. Can you please point me in the right direction?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
20919 posts
9181 upvotes
Toronto
mcbg1 wrote: None of those say they are compatible with the early 2015 Macbook Air. Can you please point me in the right direction?
How hard is it to Google search an answer these days? Let me do it for you.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/219 ... acBook+Air

Here's the how to from the same site.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Ai ... ment/38535

As for you original question of best price, check the hot deals forum. The best deals are discussed there.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
+1 dont upgrade the ssf inside. It will void ur warranty plus of u sell it. U might never get that money back.

Better to use usb stick or card or online storage
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16617 posts
2319 upvotes
mcbg1 wrote: None of those say they are compatible with the early 2015 Macbook Air. Can you please point me in the right direction?
OWC should have a compatible drive, BHphotoVideo carries it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29344 posts
9925 upvotes
This is [just another reason] why you don't buy Mac...not compatible with anything standard/anything every other contemporary device in the world uses.

Not only do you have to buy "special" Mac hardware (almost certainly at inflated prices) but you "void your warranty" in doing so as well. LOL Mac.
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 11, 2016
22 posts
1 upvote
thesk8man wrote: +1 dont upgrade the ssf inside. It will void ur warranty plus of u sell it. U might never get that money back.

Better to use usb stick or card or online storage
I was thinking of upgrading the ssf, never though of warranty, thanks
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 31, 2003
3081 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: This is [just another reason] why you don't buy Mac...not compatible with anything standard/anything every other contemporary device in the world uses.

Not only do you have to buy "special" Mac hardware (almost certainly at inflated prices) but you "void your warranty" in doing so as well. LOL Mac.
You're kidding right? This is not exclusive to Mac by any stretch of the imagination lol
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29344 posts
9925 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: You're kidding right? This is not exclusive to Mac by any stretch of the imagination lol
Uh okay name some other real computers that are the same. There at least used to be some IBM/Lenovo white-listing business but I wouldn't recommend that stuff either (particularly with the various "Lenovogates" in recent years). But even those machines have workarounds for these things and they still use standard connections. So yes, do tell, what other real computers have proprietary connections for HDDs/SSDs, and other components, like Mac does?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
792 upvotes
North York
ES_Revenge wrote: This is [just another reason] why you don't buy Mac...not compatible with anything standard/anything every other contemporary device in the world uses.

Not only do you have to buy "special" Mac hardware (almost certainly at inflated prices) but you "void your warranty" in doing so as well. LOL Mac.
Some people don't mind paying extra for Mac/Apple stuff.

Apple as a corporation appears to have done much better than Intel/Microsoft/Samsung as a company - so many users don't share those concerns.

The quality of the products and user experience keeps them with Apple.

Honestly, at the end of the day, a VERY VERY large number of the user population have no issues with an extra $500 - $1,000. To them, it is pocket change or the price of staying with the in crowd.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
792 upvotes
North York
mcbg1 wrote: I would like to upgrade the SSD drive in my Macbook Air to at least 500GB and I was wondering where is the best place to find one at a reasonable price?

Also, is it easy to install? I am not super tech savvy.
This is what OP is looking for:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/ ... /2013-2015

There is not a lot of choice regarding upgrading the SSD drive for late model Apple laptops, and certainly not cheap.

If OP is looking for a cheaper mass storage (not fast storage) solution then an SD card for Apple laptops could do the trick too.

http://minidrive.bynifty.com/

Top