Cell Phones

Where to buy unlocked cellphones?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2020 2:09 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
May 3, 2012
88 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Where to buy unlocked cellphones?

Where do you guys buy cell phones? I don't want a plan phone, so i wanted to buy a phone unlocked without having to pay 90 bucks a month. I am in the GTA.

The only place i can find is Swiftronics, never dealt with them though so i have no clue if they are legit or not.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
209 upvotes
YYZ
Swiftronics has a store front. You can always use amazon
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
23566 posts
5723 upvotes
Toronto
All cellphones sold in Canada are now unlocked...

So you can buy outright from carriers, bestbuy, amazon etc for an unlocked phone.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2650 posts
2209 upvotes
GTA West
Costco has a limited selection on-line and there is currently a Moto G 7 Play in the warehouse.
Member
Feb 29, 2020
249 posts
69 upvotes
Can you consider www.staples.ca? Click HERE
PFC353 wrote: Where do you guys buy cell phones? I don't want a plan phone, so i wanted to buy a phone unlocked without having to pay 90 bucks a month. I am in the GTA.

The only place i can find is Swiftronics, never dealt with them though so i have no clue if they are legit or not.

Thanks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10550 upvotes
Oakville
ji2o0k wrote: All cellphones sold in Canada are now unlocked...

So you can buy outright from carriers, bestbuy, amazon etc for an unlocked phone.
Worth noting that there are many reports of carriers refusing to sell phones outright to people without plans, though. So at the very least you may need to shell out for a sim and a day's worth of service if you want to go that route (and carrier outright prices are generally ridiculously high, too), so it should really be a last resort option.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2016
107 posts
54 upvotes
Yeah, I was looking for the new Moto G power, and the only two carriers who offer it in Canada are Freedom and Videotron. Freedom confirmed they do not sell phones outright, and havent had a chance to check out Videotron, but I have doubts they will be different or sell to someone outside of their main service area of Quebec.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
OntMathTeach wrote: Yeah, I was looking for the new Moto G power, and the only two carriers who offer it in Canada are Freedom and Videotron. Freedom confirmed they do not sell phones outright, and havent had a chance to check out Videotron, but I have doubts they will be different or sell to someone outside of their main service area of Quebec.
Motorola sells some of their phones direct.

https://intl.motorola.com/ca/mods-and-a ... es/phones/
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4524 posts
3003 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: All cellphones sold in Canada are now unlocked...

So you can buy outright from carriers, bestbuy, amazon etc for an unlocked phone.
How many years has it been since all phones legally sold in canada has to be unlocked? OP must be the type will ask if the phone works on Wind.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Aug 12, 2012
155 posts
45 upvotes
London, ON
OntMathTeach wrote: Yeah, I was looking for the new Moto G power, and the only two carriers who offer it in Canada are Freedom and Videotron. Freedom confirmed they do not sell phones outright, and havent had a chance to check out Videotron, but I have doubts they will be different or sell to someone outside of their main service area of Quebec.
Currently available online at Costco: https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g-p ... 73567.html
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
5108 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Computers carries some unlocked phone.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Feedback: HoFo | eBay | Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1477 posts
2047 upvotes
Waterloo Region
And if you're looking at a Samsung, you can get directly from samsung.ca
they even offer financing on 0% APR

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)