Computers & Electronics

Where to buy used computers (colleges/hospitals)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 8:04 pm
[OP]
May 11, 2016
127 posts
117 upvotes

Where to buy used computers (colleges/hospitals)

Hi,

I searched the forum and couldn't find much information about this. I was wondering where I can purchase computers that were previously used in universities, colleges or hospitals in the Vancouver. I tried contacting several places via email through general inquiries but I haven't received any replies.

Thanks in advance.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
IT at my place used to sell 2-3 year old computers to staff for really cheap, $20-50, which was great, but then people started calling in to ask for IT's help with those computers.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16402 posts
5140 upvotes
London
See the dell refurbished thread in hot deals
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
Due to privacy issues, a lot of places, especially hospitals and public institutions, no longer sell off their older hardware. If they do, I'd expect them to come without hard drives or RAM.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1702 posts
415 upvotes
Since Hospitals and other government agencies are public entities I the think their policy is that they are not allowed to sell equipment to the employees. Public perception would be government buys expensive equipment only to sell it cheap to the employees. This wouldn't be fair for the average taxpayer.

Buy Dell re-furb. I think they come with a limited warranty as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9608 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe public auctions as well. Hopefully they come with NO hard drives as one poster above already mentioned.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4463 posts
697 upvotes
Colleges sell equipment first too students/employees. I don't know about hospitals, but I would hope that they would be discarded instead of being sold.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8311 posts
2063 upvotes
Toronto
Companies like ReBoot Canada have arrangements with corporations. ReBoot cleans the computers and sells them on to community organizations etc.
Jul 15, 2003
421 posts
178 upvotes
Look for a charity organization that is embedded in your local hospitals. In NS, there is an organization called Partners for Care, and they handle all of the surplus computers for the hospitals, and will sell to the public if you contact them. Expect no Hard drive.
Jan 3, 2013
503 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
I can understand no hard drives if they are SSD but if they are mechanical why don't they just DBAN them. I wonder what they do with the hard drives if they don't sell them with the computers.
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13687 posts
4221 upvotes
RFD
Know of a hospital who sold their old computers to employees, tower+monito+kb+mouse for cheap, but came with no HDD.
singhrh wrote: Since Hospitals and other government agencies are public entities I the think their policy is that they are not allowed to sell equipment to the employees. Public perception would be government buys expensive equipment only to sell it cheap to the employees. This wouldn't be fair for the average taxpayer.

Buy Dell re-furb. I think they come with a limited warranty as well.
Mar 26, 2008
459 posts
176 upvotes
Brian79 wrote: I can understand no hard drives if they are SSD but if they are mechanical why don't they just DBAN them. I wonder what they do with the hard drives if they don't sell them with the computers.
probably destroy them due to the potential sensitive info on them.