Shopping Discussion

Where can I buy Amazon.com gift cards in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2020 4:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Tynehead, BC

Where can I buy Amazon.com gift cards in Canada?

For Amazon.com

Does anyone know of any place that sells these physically in store in Canada?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15000 posts
12115 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Doubtful...

For 2 Reasons

1- They’d have to be in US Currency
And
2- Cuz of these Cos that have a US & CDN presence ... be that a B&M Store or an Online one (.com & .ca) invest a lot of money into maintaining the Cdn version and keeping them separate from their US Version ... so as to see the Cdn one succeed

Same reason you’ll see that many of these US Cos DONT SELL (or some DONT SHIP) to Canada / Cdns

Example ... Home Depot, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc
Cannot get their US GCs here either
Infact you cannot even get a US Vanilla Visa or MC here in Canada
And ... many US Cos that sell GCs ... they won’t let you buy them & ship them to Canada either
(Have run into this with Hotel Loyalty Program Reward GCs in the past)
It’s all about protecting these US Investments in Canada

Want to “shop American” stock up on US GCs whenever you are stateside
As there are no rules regarding buying in person
Although ... there can be CBSA Canada Customs Rules about importing them
YOU DO HAVE TO DECLARE THEM ... same as any other thing you buy while out of Canada
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kakkela wrote: For Amazon.com

Does anyone know of any place that sells these physically in store in Canada?
Amazon.com sells gift cards online. You can choose between email, text or physical delivery. You can even set physical delivery to a Canadian address although I've never tried that. If you haven't already, see what will go through and in which currency. Make sure you login in to Amazon.com site and you set your location to a US ZIP code if you have access to one (e.g. an Amerifriend.)

But unless you absolutely need a physical card I would think that an email delivery would work best from Canada. You should get charged in US$ and the "card" would be denominated in US$. If you really want a physical card and are prepared to do a bit of work, you can send the GC to your own email, print off the code and glue it to a greeting card or whatever. Emailed cards arrive almost instantly.

P.S. Doing it all online has several important advantages:
1. It's more secure than buying a physical card at a store
2. It's more secure than having Amazon send you a physical card in the mail
3. It's faster
4. It's more convenient
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 1, 2019
134 posts
37 upvotes
You can't buy Amazon.com GCs online, I tried back in Spring. If you want to buy something on US website, you can get a CIBC Visa Prepaid for $6.95 - 1 time activation fee, cheaper than Canada Post pre-paid.

CBSA Custom rules - you only need to declared if you're over the "allowed with-in", unless you're planning to bring back $10,000 & over in GCs etc..

The reason you can't buy Amazon.com GCs in Canada is to prevent frauds and stolen cards and there's no ** physical retail Amazon stores" as it is online re-seller. The company needs to update IT Dept on GCs being able to convert itself, it doesn't make sense on their website states "Amazon.ca is not affiliated w/Amazon.com" if you check bank/credit card statements it shows Prime payment debit from Amazon.com LLC!!! Totally stupid

Did you know Starbucks GC purchased in Canada in CAD funds, you can use this card any Starbucks in the world - it converts automatically when you pay with card. I've used it in non-corporate Starbucks USA, franchised locations in Vegas strip and South Beach, Japan and Hong Kong. I re-load online and use it while travelling
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21000 posts
14911 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
FrostyBytes wrote: You can't buy Amazon.com GCs online, I tried back in Spring.
I'm pretty sure I've done that using a TD/CT US$ CC with a US address of an Amerifriend to email myself a GC. But that was a couple of years ago so things may have changed.(*)
The reason you can't buy Amazon.com GCs in Canada is to prevent frauds and stolen cards and there's no ** physical retail Amazon stores" as it is online re-seller. The company needs to update IT Dept on GCs being able to convert itself, it doesn't make sense on their website states "Amazon.ca is not affiliated w/Amazon.com" if you check bank/credit card statements it shows Prime payment debit from Amazon.com LLC!!! Totally stupid
Agreed. Even more stupid since the same Amazon account works at Amazon sites worldwide. I've bought stuff from .com, .uk, .de etc. for shipment to Canada or to their "native" country all using my one Amazon account. It's always worked smoothly. Doing that is also subject to fraud. The solution is to beef up Amazon accounts to require stronger passwords, 2FA, etc. rather than to discourage legitimate users from doing legitimate business with Amazon. Then again Jeff has 100+ billion reasons not to care.
Did you know Starbucks GC purchased in Canada in CAD funds, you can use this card any Starbucks in the world - it converts automatically when you pay with card. I've used it in non-corporate Starbucks USA, franchised locations in Vegas strip and South Beach, Japan and Hong Kong. I re-load online and use it while travelling
Tell that to the Starbucks stores in Zürich et all who refused to accept my card. In any case, a more general answer: Can Starbucks Gift Cards Be Used Internationally?(**)

Added:
(*) This from 2017: Which U.S. Gift Cards Can Be Used in Canada?
The Amazon.com gift card works a little bit differently than the others I reviewed in that the cards appear to be country-specific. According to the Amazon.com gift card terms and conditions, an Amazon.com gift card is only redeemable toward the purchase of products on Amazon.com. Similarly, an Amazon.co.uk gift card is only redeemable on the Amazon.co.uk website. The same is true for Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.de and so forth. So you cannot use an Amazon.com gift card on one of their international websites.

However, you can purchase an Amazon.com gift card with a non-U.S. credit card, and vice versa. So while the gift card itself is only redeemable in one country, Amazon will accept payment from another.
To make purchases and redemption easier, Amazon has a currency conversion tool that can be used at checkout to calculate the value of a gift card. And, of course, you’ll want to check the website’s shipping policies to ensure the gift card (or any products the recipient purchases with the gift card) can be shipped to the desired address before placing an order.
(**) and this from Starbucks: Where can I use my Starbucks Card?
Starbucks Cards are accepted at most Starbucks locations in North America, including airport and grocery locations. Starbucks Cards can also be used interchangeably at most stores in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and Mexico.

Starbucks Cards issued in Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey may only be used in the market from which they are issued.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15000 posts
12115 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FrostyBytes wrote: You can't buy Amazon.com GCs online, I tried back in Spring. If you want to buy something on US website, you can get a CIBC Visa Prepaid for $6.95 - 1 time activation fee, cheaper than Canada Post pre-paid.

CBSA Custom rules - you only need to declared if you're over the "allowed with-in", unless you're planning to bring back $10,000 & over in GCs etc..

Incorrect.

The rules are:

You have to DECLARE ANY & ALL ITEMS ACQUIRED WHILE OUT OF CANADA

Then CBSA Determines if any Duties or Taxes is owed ... in a 2 step process
As a printed document
And secondly as a financial item

Source: CBSA whom I used to work for

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 3-eng.html
[OP]
Jun 16, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Tynehead, BC
is it possible to buy the Amazon.com gift cards online using a Amazon.ca gift card?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19718 posts
4316 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Kakkela wrote: is it possible to buy the Amazon.com gift cards online using a Amazon.ca gift card?
No.

I recently bought an electronic Amazon.com USD GC recently (using Brim MC) and sent to an Amerifriend as a gift.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?