Food & Drink

Where can I buy a garlic presser that is not super pricey?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2016 3:17 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes

Where can I buy a garlic presser that is not super pricey?

I dont understand why a garlic presser is $15-$30 in every store i go to, all it is, is some cheap metal that presses something together. how come can openers can be bought for like $2-$6 and they are basically the exact same thing.

can someone tell me a place to buy one that is fair priced?
26 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
It's completely contradictory to what you want, but this is literally the best garlic press I've ever used:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000CD0HX/

I'm sure someone like the dollar store has some, but most of the garlic presses I've used are terrible.
Nov 4, 2006
780 posts
71 upvotes
Check out either Honest Ed's or Tap Phong.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5611 posts
969 upvotes
Toronto
I usually see them where grocery store utensils are for a price you're looking for....Loblaws, metro, etc.

If I still had one I'd probably give it to you, I got sick of cleaning it every time. When I'm chopping vegetables I find I easier to mince the garlic with everything else instead of pulling another utensil out.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6153 posts
3032 upvotes
Aurora
Is there a difference between a garlic press and chopped garlic? I've always just finely chopped mine with a sharp knife which takes half a minute or so per clove. Never tried a press before.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Is there a difference between a garlic press and chopped garlic? I've always just finely chopped mine with a sharp knife which takes half a minute or so per clove. Never tried a press before.
A press will produce minced garlic which has a stronger flavor.
Microplaning it will produce an even stronger flavor.
Chopping has a milder flavor.
Slicing has an even more milder flavor.

For me, I hate chopping garlic, especially in small quantities so I throw it in a mini food processor.
Toss in a little salt for preservative properties and some oil as a carrier.
It's even easier if you buy those meat trays of peeled garlic for a buck or two.
Fresh(ish) chopped garlic for little to no work.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6811 posts
1479 upvotes
HomeSense. They have a few brands, most $7.99 or so. I'm pretty happy with my Zyliss garlic press, had it for over ten years. Easy to clean with other dishes, no special treatment. Durable and does the trick,
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18619 posts
1918 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I bought a Betty crocker slap chop at dollar Rama. It'd not all uniformed but I put OT in a Mason jar with some olive oil. So easy.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15447 posts
3135 upvotes
Toronto
For $30 you can yell "GeT ThE HeLL OuT Of My KiTCHEN!!!" and throw the Garlic press across the room and have it slam against a wall, fall to the floor, then pick it up and carry on like nothing ever happened.
Try that with a $3 garlic press from Dollarama! lol

Yes, I know, the example is bit silly, but it makes a point that the $30 design is built to last no matter what you do to it. Most likely 100% metal too.
The cheaper ones are mostly plastic and do not last all that long.

I recommend Kitchen stuff plus, sticking with the $7.99 ones. They meet half way. Not all plastic, but not all metal. Still designed to last a while...maybe not forever, but indeed longer than the Dollarama ones.
(@ Taste of the Danforth they were handing out coupons for 20% almost everything in the store...they might have a few still laying around if you ask.)

***Whoops! looks like the $7.99 item is no longer available. $11.99 is now the starting price (sale, was $15) http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/catalog ... ?q=garlic+
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3232 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
Fully agree. Buy once, buy well and use for ever.
death_hawk wrote: It's completely contradictory to what you want, but this is literally the best garlic press I've ever used:

I'm sure someone like the dollar store has some, but most of the garlic presses I've used are terrible.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3232 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
Fully agree. Buy once, buy well and use for ever.
death_hawk wrote: It's completely contradictory to what you want, but this is literally the best garlic press I've ever used:

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3232 posts
1083 upvotes
Mississauga
Also, What I do is buy trays of peeled garlic, into food processor, into ice cube trays and freeze. Pop them out into a zip lock and use cubes as needed. Ditto for ginger.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6664 posts
2956 upvotes
Try a thrift store. It is amazing what you can find for very inexpensive.
May 28, 2012
10619 posts
2709 upvotes
Saskatoon
Mine is a Zyliss, but I bought it over 25 years ago...it's used almost every single day. I don't think the newer ones are made the same (saw the same style at Winners a while back).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)