• May 25th, 2015 10:01 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 24, 2005
622 posts
239 upvotes

Where can I buy the locking screw

Hi I have this GARDENA Cordless Hand Reel Mower for several years and it has been great.
[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... TYLE_7.jpg[/IMG]
But the lock screw is now broken so I need to replace it. It is the red screw as shown in above picture.

I chatted with home depot CS but they do not have it, and sent me to Gardena website (http://www.gardena.com/ca/en/support/pr ... are-parts/) where I could not find it.

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9231 posts
2902 upvotes
London
Perhaps you should describe what exactly the lock screw does...
[OP]
Oct 24, 2005
622 posts
239 upvotes
Thanks.

It is for adjusting the cutting height:

1. Slacken the two locking screws H and set to the height required on the scale I.

2. Tighten the two locking screws H on both sides to the same height.

The locking screws H must always be set to the same height on both sides.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3185 posts
2850 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
cn008 wrote: Hi I have this
But the lock screw is now broken so I need to replace it. It is the red screw as shown in above picture.

I chatted with home depot CS but they do not have it, and sent me to Gardena website where I could not find it.
Contact Gardena through their web site. Problem solved.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4239 posts
3074 upvotes
Montreal
Gardena are overpriced plastic crap in my experience, after you fix this something else will break again because all the plastic has aged to their designed failure time.

But if you insist on fixing and don't mind non-original look, get a coupling nut that fits, you should be able to find them in home depot. Or just a regular nut/washer and adjust with deep socket.
Sep 17, 2010
19 posts
6 upvotes
washer and a wing nut, not that hard to figure out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9231 posts
2902 upvotes
London
OP, every street has a old guy with 20 jars of misc nuts&bolts in old jam jars in his garage. Make friends with him, he probably has what you need.
Might even give you a roll of duct tape and some vice grips too.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
645 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Weldbond glue or Gorilla glue. I use Weldbond blue for a lot of things and have NEVER had any issues with anything. It says it dries hard as steel and I believe it. Barring that, the wingnut idea would also work.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26775 posts
24227 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: Contact Gardena through their web site. Problem solved.
+1

When a plastic part on my Gardena shears broke and I called them to buy a replacement part they just sent me a new pair of shears. No questions asked. No need to return the broken pair. Now I doubt they'll replace the whole mower but I'm sure they'll try to help the OP.

Others have suggested that the OP use some imagination in finding a solution, e.g. a washer and wing nut. I'd use the phone call to Gardena to ask what thread size is used on this stud bolt. It's bound to be metric so using parts from a typical handyman's junk box is likely to strip the thread.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4239 posts
3074 upvotes
Montreal
Lol, there's no way in hell they would know what size the thread size is. Take the other one to the store and test it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26775 posts
24227 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jzmtl wrote: Lol, there's no way in hell they would know what size the thread size is.
And you know this for a fact because... ???

Manufacturers' distributors often have documentation that's unavailable to the general public. In particular with stuff like lawn mowers this would include shop manuals that include parts lists with specifications. I know this because I've gotten this sort of information from other manufacturers in the past. No guarantees that Gardena will be able to help, but they're only a phone call away.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
196 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
jzmtl wrote: Gardena are overpriced plastic crap in my experience, after you fix this something else will break again because all the plastic has aged to their designed failure time.

But if you insist on fixing and don't mind non-original look, get a coupling nut that fits, you should be able to find them in home depot. Or just a regular nut/washer and adjust with deep socket.
^ A+ , Perfect solution
[OP]
Oct 24, 2005
622 posts
239 upvotes
Called and they do have it as spare.
$4.5 each.
problem solved!
Thanks everyone!