Food & Drink

Where can I buy prime grade beef in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2021 8:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
303 posts
138 upvotes
GTA

Where can I buy prime grade beef in the GTA?

Anyone know where I can buy a whole cut (6-7kg) of prime grade striploin or ribeye online or in GTA? What would be the $/kg for such grade beef? Thanks!
Images
  • strip.jpg
13 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1746 posts
748 upvotes
Costco, St Lawrence Market, Probably other butcher shops...
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
Any real butcher shop will cut you a chunk as big as you want.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
303 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
never seen one at Costco and mostly AAAs. Do I have to ask the workers inside?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
nioero wrote: never seen one at Costco and mostly AAAs. Do I have to ask the workers inside?
I would go to a butcher shop and ask for Prime or get them to order it for you. , I suspect Costco does not carry it because of the high price point. I am not sure is Costco special orders.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12475 posts
7252 upvotes
Markham
Try calling Butcher Shoppe in Etobicoke. It may or may not be a special order for them. They can pretty much get anything you want.

https://butchershoppedirect.com/

Address: 121 Shorncliffe Rd, Etobicoke, ON M8Z 5K7

Hours:
Thursday 7a.m.–4p.m.
Friday 7a.m.–4p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Monday 7a.m.–4p.m.
Tuesday 7a.m.–4p.m.
Wednesday 7a.m.–4p.m.

Phone: (416) 234-2290
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 20, 2008
786 posts
342 upvotes
lecale wrote: Prime grade is reserved for the restaurant industry so no supermarket will have it. As mentioned, Costco or a butcher.
Ladies and gentlemen, that is what we call conjecture, or in colloquial terms, BS.
Nov 20, 2008
786 posts
342 upvotes
lecale wrote: No, it's largely true. You may see the occasional prime grade steak at a top tier supermarket, but you sure as heck are not going to find a whole cut there. Provide a link to a whole prime striploin at a supermarket as the OP requested instead of spouting your own BS & I will concede. Supermarkets generally only carry up to AAA.
Generally only carry up to AAA? Walk into a Whole Foods and you can buy the primal. Is Costco not a supermarket as well? Any store is able to order in primals (you seriously think a grocery chain has no buying power from their supplier, plus not only that but most go straight to the source instead of thru a middleman meat distributor/packing house). Highland Farms does that, that's how I picked up my prime brisket. If you think Loblaws/Weston/Metro are all the grocery stores out there, damn. Must suck shopping with you.

Oh and those aforementioned grocers? They do carry prime regularly. Even Longo's. I don't have to give you a link do I? If the store carries prime steak, they cut them and package in store - hence they are able to sell the entire cryovac. RCSS allowed people to buy cryovac'd whole ribeyes during each of their annual sales. Have you tried asking? When's the last time you actually paid attention to what they have for sale?

Prime grade reserved for the restaurant industry? Don't know how to break this to you, but most eateries don't serve prime lol. Again, conjecture.
Nov 20, 2008
786 posts
342 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I would go to a butcher shop and ask for Prime or get them to order it for you. , I suspect Costco does not carry it because of the high price point. I am not sure is Costco special orders.
Costco regularly has prime. And will sell you the whole primal if they still have it available instead of cutting and blade tenderizing. Most of the time however, you may need to speak to an associate a day or two in advance.
Jul 7, 2005
984 posts
150 upvotes
Can't remember where I read this, someone can fact check but supposedly Canadian prime beef accounts for a small fraction (under 3%) of all graded beef in Canada and a majority of which is exported. A local butcher is the best place to ask and if they don't have it on hand the can always try and source it from their suppliers.

@cyberspider actually your link to the charts shows this. Around 3% in 2019.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2597 posts
41 upvotes
cyberspyder wrote: Costco regularly has prime. And will sell you the whole primal if they still have it available instead of cutting and blade tenderizing. Most of the time however, you may need to speak to an associate a day or two in advance.
I haven't seen Prime at my local costco, only the triple A

https://www.costco.ca/canada-beef-guide.html
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Nov 20, 2008
786 posts
342 upvotes
linsook wrote: Can't remember where I read this, someone can fact check but supposedly Canadian prime beef accounts for a small fraction (under 3%) of all graded beef in Canada and a majority of which is exported. A local butcher is the best place to ask and if they don't have it on hand the can always try and source it from their suppliers.

@cyberspider actually your link to the charts shows this. Around 3% in 2019.
I am aware it shows this, but my post also had something about perceived rarity and customer demand. Even though roughly 3% of Canadian beef production is Prime graded, you also have to take into account the percentage of consumers that ask for Prime, can pay for Prime let alone know what Prime is. Again, most supermarket meat departments act the same way as a butcher and are able to order in meat, I would start asking every store I've seen Prime at. And again, if they normally sell cut Prime steaks, they usually have the full subprimal in the back.
Bskll wrote: I haven't seen Prime at my local costco, only the triple A

https://www.costco.ca/canada-beef-guide.html
In the GTA, I've seen it often, especially during the summer time. During the winter it's mostly brisket, or AAA because the demand for grilling is low, but it picks up later in the year.