Food & Drink

Where can I buy restaurant quality Brioche Burger buns?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2020 2:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3353 posts
1418 upvotes
Scarborough

Where can I buy restaurant quality Brioche Burger buns?

I've always said the bun is the 2nd most important if not the most important ingredient in a hamburger. I know there are countless YouTube recipes that make extraordinary buns but I just want to have a go-to place where I can buy some fresh (or frozen) Brioche style burger buns. Costco sells mini-sized Brioche buns and they are pretty good for sliders but I'm leaning more towards a firmer texture. You know those asian bakeries that sell the bun with a filling inside (custard, coconut, hotdog, etc). Well that's pretty much spot on but without any filling. I guess I could ask them to bake me some but I don't know how I feel about it.
45 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16085 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
So the PC version is not good enough? They want enough for them! $3.99 for 6 https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Bakery/Bagu ... 1094319_EA

*Edited: Never mind. Order of ingredients is sugar first, then butter. They get credit for using actual butter and not some simulated replacement. Clearly though, sugar is helping to cut corners with less butter use.
Last edited by playnicee1 on Jun 12th, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5635 posts
2813 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve seen brioche burger buns at Longo’s.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1394 posts
851 upvotes
Brioche from Fournee Doree, are not good for burger, but good on their own, too soft, too sweet. We found the ACE bakeries brioche buns to be good for burgers. Also, for sliders, the Costco ones are good, but they came in 36 pack, and they don't freeze well somehow.

http://www.acebakery.com/home/products/ ... urmet-bun/

Loblaws carries them, and they freeze well too. Same price as La Fournee Doree ones
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3353 posts
1418 upvotes
Scarborough
my0gr81 wrote: Brioche from Fournee Doree, are not good for burger, but good on their own, too soft, too sweet. We found the ACE bakeries brioche buns to be good for burgers. Also, for sliders, the Costco ones are good, but they came in 36 pack, and they don't freeze well somehow.

Loblaws carries them, and they freeze well too. Same price as La Fournee Doree ones
These look like the one ChefsPlate ships out for their burgers. I'll post a pic later and see if they are the same.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4382 posts
3910 upvotes
Just go to Metro and buy Martin's Potato Rolls, imported from Pennsylvania. If they're good enough for Shake Shack...

https://www.eater.com/2017/3/1/14751564 ... burger-bun
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35494 posts
9518 upvotes
Ottawa
my0gr81 wrote: Brioche from Fournee Doree, are not good for burger, but good on their own, too soft, too sweet. We found the ACE bakeries brioche buns to be good for burgers. Also, for sliders, the Costco ones are good, but they came in 36 pack, and they don't freeze well somehow.

Been using Fournee Doree for years for us and anyone that comes over. Everyone loves the buns. When they are sold out (often) using other buns is a letdown.
Yes they are soft and buttery...that is what makes them so good. Stores keep selling out so someone must be liking them :)

Ace bakery buns are OK but they are often not fresh tasting.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43447 posts
6698 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Ace bakery is great! I love these guys. And loblaws carrys it including the brioche buns
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1394 posts
851 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Been using Fournee Doree for years for us and anyone that comes over. Everyone loves the buns. When they are sold out (often) using other buns is a letdown.
Yes they are soft and buttery...that is what makes them so good. Stores keep selling out so someone must be liking them :)

Ace bakery buns are OK but they are often not fresh tasting.
Absolutely, they are good. They are just too soft and too buttery for a hearty and juicy burger, which is what the OP was asking for. They fall apart, and if you toast them, they exude some of the butter, that makes it so they fall apart even more.
Oct 8, 2005
157 posts
69 upvotes
Montréal
UrbanPoet wrote: Ace bakery is great! I love these guys. And loblaws carrys it including the brioche buns
They better carry it, they have the same owner.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
10883 posts
5993 upvotes
Markham
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Just go to Metro and buy Martin's Potato Rolls, imported from Pennsylvania. If they're good enough for Shake Shack...

https://www.eater.com/2017/3/1/14751564 ... burger-bun
Does Metro now sell Martin's potato rolls?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4382 posts
3910 upvotes
Most of them do now. Go to the Martin's website to verify if the location near you carries it.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3353 posts
1418 upvotes
Scarborough
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Most of them do now. Go to the Martin's website to verify if the location near you carries it.
Well, their website lists about 13+ products and while they do have a location finder, I find it hard to believe each location would carry every item on their website. Do you concur?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4382 posts
3910 upvotes
What I can say is the Metro near me carries both hamburger and hot dog buns.