Food & Drink

Where can I buy restaurant quality Brioche Burger buns?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2020 2:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: What I can say is the Metro near me carries both hamburger and hot dog buns.
Which Metro location are you referring to?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4357 posts
3883 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Which Metro location are you referring to?
1822 Whites Road in Pickering (at Strouds Lane). This is a regular neighborhood Metro store, nothing special about it. When I first moved to the area it was just a "Dominion".

When I first saw Martin's appear there they only had the hamburger buns (in two sizes, the "sandwich" and the "party"). I noticed the hot dog ones last few weeks. $6 for any of the bags. Haven't bought them yet...

Given Martin's reputation as a hamburger bun, at the minimum I expect any location on that map to have one or both burger buns. I've only ever seen the other varieties when I go to the USA (the sliced potato bread, hoagie rolls, etc).

Hope you don't have to search too far!
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: 1822 Whites Road in Pickering (at Strouds Lane). This is a regular neighborhood Metro store, nothing special about it. When I first moved to the area it was just a "Dominion".

When I first saw Martin's appear there they only had the hamburger buns (in two sizes, the "sandwich" and the "party"). I noticed the hot dog ones last few weeks. $6 for any of the bags. Haven't bought them yet...

Given Martin's reputation as a hamburger bun, at the minimum I expect any location on that map to have one or both burger buns. I've only ever seen the other varieties when I go to the USA (the sliced potato bread, hoagie rolls, etc).

Hope you don't have to search too far!
I found out today that ChefsPlate actually uses Ace Bakery as their supplier for Brioche burger buns so that's a good start. I can try my local Metro tomorrow and see what they have. The Fournee Doree buns are not bad if I'm eating a chicken sandwich but like someone else said it's a little on the chewy and sweet side. Costco sells them in a bigger quantity for a cheaper price. At least I have options now.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
Portofino brioche buns are the best ones I have came across. Very good.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
sandy_beach wrote: Portofino brioche buns are the best ones I have came across. Very good.

location?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
OrangeBerry wrote: location?
Most grocers sell it where I am in bc but YMMV depending where you are located.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1324 posts
418 upvotes
GTA
Farmboy, there is a 4 pack with a girls face on it. I forget the brand. I will butter a pan and toast. So delicious!
May 1, 2007
297 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
my0gr81 wrote: Absolutely, they are good. They are just too soft and too buttery for a hearty and juicy burger, which is what the OP was asking for. They fall apart, and if you toast them, they exude some of the butter, that makes it so they fall apart even more.
Don't toast them in the toaster. Use a fry pan with some butter to just toast the surface of the bun.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4357 posts
3883 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: Farmboy, there is a 4 pack with a girls face on it. I forget the brand. I will butter a pan and toast. So delicious!
Already recommended in post 3. Note that some are baked in France others are locally made. The fine print under the logo tells you... If it says "French recipe" that's local.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
I hate to say it... but local bakery (good luck) or DIY. I haven't found a real good brioche bun yet.
OrangeBerry wrote: Costco
Usually I like Costco products but this is 100% not one of them.
There was something wrong with them ingredient wise but I can't remember what it was. I'll take a look when I go today.
I want to say that they don't contain butter but I'm not certain.
playnicee1 wrote: So the PC version is not good enough? They want enough for them! $3.99 for 6 https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Bakery/Bagu ... 1094319_EA
100% no. When there's more sugar than butter you know there's something wrong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3343 posts
1414 upvotes
Scarborough
Picked these up today at Pusateri's. They also had a pack of 4 buns from "Freds Bread" which were remarkably amazing looking but I decided to go with these first. Then RCSS sells the same as the picture below but with sesame seeds. These are the ones ChefsPlate uses, much firmer and less yellowy than the Fournee Doree.

Feb 5, 2017
84 posts
64 upvotes
Definitely martins potato rolls

You can google where to buy in Toronto. They even have them in Markham which is not likely a place to find gourmet hamburger buns. The ones from PC and Whole Foods are pretty good too but a smash burger with Martins has been a weekly staple now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12961 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Usually I like Costco products but this is 100% not one of them.
There was something wrong with them ingredient wise but I can't remember what it was. I'll take a look when I go today.
I want to say that they don't contain butter but I'm not certain.
Speaking of something wrong for the first time in history a PC product is better than a Kirkland product.

I'm actually angry that they call this brioche without any butter in it especially when their croissants do have butter.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4357 posts
3883 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Been using Fournee Doree for years for us and anyone that comes over. Everyone loves the buns. When they are sold out (often) using other buns is a letdown.
Yes they are soft and buttery...that is what makes them so good. Stores keep selling out so someone must be liking them :)

Ace bakery buns are OK but they are often not fresh tasting.
And just as I expected Westonette is back to his usual tricks.
I first saw La Fournee Doree at Farm Boy and Longo's, then they started to appear at Metro. Loblaws was the last of the major chains to carry them. Surprised to see it there given it's not made by Weston Bakeries.
Of course we all know what Loblaws eventually does to non-house labels. Make a PC copycat and squeeze out the other brand. Just noticed this today, last time I was at the store this shelf was La Fournee Doree only:

https://ibb.co/sKt6cbb
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Sep 17th, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Of course we all know what Loblaws eventually does to non-house labels. Make a PC copycat and squeeze out the other brand. Just noticed this today, last time I was at the store this shelf was La Fournee Doree only:
I'd like to say the PC brand tastes better, but it needs sesame seeds.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!