Food & Drink

Where can I buy restaurant quality Brioche Burger buns?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2020 2:24 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1239 upvotes
Vancouver
Check the more expensive stores. Whole foods has some good brioche as well as mcewans.

A good bun really does make the difference
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4340 posts
3868 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I'd like to say the PC brand tastes better, but it needs sesame seeds.
That's like saying Tim Horton's coffee tastes better than Starbucks but it needs a lot of sugar and cream...

If it needs something else added, that disqualifies it from being "better".

When it comes to burger buns, here's the TL;DR version:
Martin's > La Fournee Doree >>>>>>>>>> ACE/PC/Weston garbage
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4340 posts
3868 upvotes
Worth a read:

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... st-article

TL;DR version: For a proper hamburger, forget brioche. The potato roll is the king.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16040 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: That's like saying Tim Horton's coffee tastes better than Starbucks but it needs a lot of sugar and cream...

If it needs something else added, that disqualifies it from being "better".

When it comes to burger buns, here's the TL;DR version:
Martin's > La Fournee Doree >>>>>>>>>> ACE/PC/Weston garbage
You didn't even eat the bun, did you?
The PC BUN DOES taste better PERIOD. Full stop.
Maybe that's their point. PC buns are so good that they don't even need sesame seeds.
Like saying that Starbucks coffee is so good that you can drink it black.

La Fournee Doree OTOH sells a bun WITH sesame seeds, & still doesn't taste as good.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4340 posts
3868 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: You didn't even eat the bun, did you?
Ace/Weston/PC products overall suck. And yes I've tried some and never bought them again.
Ace is to bread what Balderson is to cheese. Faux premium (read: overpriced) product made by the same cartel as the mainstream shit.

When it comes to burger buns, here's the TL;DR version:
Martin's > La Fournee Doree >>>>>>>>>> ACE/PC/Weston garbage
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16040 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Ace/Weston/PC products overall suck. And yes I've tried some and never bought them again.
Ace is to bread what Balderson is to cheese. Faux premium (read: overpriced) product made by the same cartel as the mainstream shit.
When it comes to burger buns, here's the TL;DR version:
Martin's > La Fournee Doree >>>>>>>>>> ACE/PC/Weston garbage
As I figured, you DID NOT try that exact PC bun, which happens to taste a lot better. (the bun by itself, without adding anything to it)
As you already said,
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If it needs something else added, that disqualifies it from being "better".
The PC brand does not add seeds, so they're better than La Fournee Doree.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4340 posts
3868 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: As I figured, you DID NOT try that exact PC bun, which happens to taste a lot better. (the bun by itself, without adding anything to it)
I've tried enough ACE/PC bakery products to know that they generally are garbage. Why would I expect their burger bun to be any different? You can give up on your sales pitch now.
Have a nice day, Ace salesman. No deal from me. Goodbye.

When it comes to burger buns, here's the TL;DR version:
Martin's > La Fournee Doree >>>>>>>>>> ACE/PC/Weston garbage
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1365 posts
836 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: As I figured, you DID NOT try that exact PC bun, which happens to taste a lot better. (the bun by itself, without adding anything to it)
As you already said,



The PC brand does not add seeds, so they're better than La Fournee Doree.
La Fournee Dore is too sweet to start. Brioche dough can be savory (butter, egg, salt) or sweet (butter, egg, sugar and salt for seasoning only). LFD just uses the sweet dough for everything they make.

I checked out the PC's brioche ingredients with the ACE ones, and they are pretty similar (ought to be as they are related). Got to say though, the lack of butter is troubling, even if the buns taste all right, it's not technically brioche if it doesn't have butter (or a simile) and eggs.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16040 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
my0gr81 wrote: Got to say though, the lack of butter is troubling, even if the buns taste all right, it's not technically brioche if it doesn't have butter (or a simile) and eggs.
The PC brand does have butter in the ingredient list, but it's sugar first, then butter.
I realize that, but it's the same for La Fournee anyways, & there's MORE butter in the PC brand. (than La Fournee)
Costco's Kirkland version isn't even using butter.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1365 posts
836 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: The PC brand does have butter in the ingredient list, but it's sugar first, then butter.
I realize that, but it's the same for La Fournee anyways, & there's MORE butter in the PC brand. (than La Fournee)
Costco's Kirkland version isn't even using butter.
I specifically checked for this while at the store. The shelf had LFD on one side, and PC Brioche on the other. The PC brand brioche burger bun did not have butter on the ingredients list. I know their websites mentions "rich butter, milk and eggs", but the ingredient list of the product on the shelf trumps whatever the website claims. Also, the packaging looked nothing like what is shown on their site.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4340 posts
3868 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: The PC brand brioche burger bun did not have butter on the ingredients list. I know their websites mentions "rich butter, milk and eggs", but the ingredient list of the product on the shelf trumps whatever the website claims. Also, the packaging looked nothing like what is shown on their site.
Truth in advertising, Ace/PC/Loblaws style. La Fournee Doree for the win, hands down. Thank you for setting the record straight.

ACE is to bakeries what Balderson is to cheese and what Kawartha is to ice cream. Phony "premium" products, overpriced garbage to avoid.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16040 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
my0gr81 wrote: I specifically checked for this while at the store. The shelf had LFD on one side, and PC Brioche on the other. The PC brand brioche burger bun did not have butter on the ingredients list. I know their websites mentions "rich butter, milk and eggs", but the ingredient list of the product on the shelf trumps whatever the website claims. Also, the packaging looked nothing like what is shown on their site.
Go back and look again: (pictures don't lie)

Image
Image

Image
Image[/img]

Image

Image

Image
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1365 posts
836 upvotes
Ok so, it's the LFD that didn't have butter, I knew one of them was a poseur when I checked them out at the store. This reinforces the point that LFD brioche are not good. They are too sweet and as you confirmed, they don't have butter, so technically they are not brioche, just sweet buns.

Which brings me to, did you actually go there to take those pictures? Relax, it's just the internet.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8345 posts
1239 upvotes
Vancouver
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Truth in advertising, Ace/PC/Loblaws style. La Fournee Doree for the win, hands down. Thank you for setting the record straight.

ACE is to bakeries what Balderson is to cheese and what Kawartha is to ice cream. Phony "premium" products, overpriced garbage to avoid.
Brilliant post
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: the ingredient list of the product on the shelf trumps whatever the website claims.
Exactly.
Apparently "Brioche" is a diluted term now so every garbage bread can be called brioche.
Real brioche is like 20% butter.

playnicee1 wrote: $IngredientLists
Holy hell every single one of those is horrifying.
How these are legally allowed to be called brioche is beyond me....

Top