Home & Garden

Where can I buy Weiser blank Smart Keys?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2021 2:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound

Where can I buy Weiser blank Smart Keys?

They sell re-key kits but they only come with 4 keys.

I need at least 12. Where can I find keys that fit Weiser SmartKey locks?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
31 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
MayorOfToronto wrote: They sell re-key kits but they only come with 4 keys.

I need at least 12. Where can I find keys that fit Weiser SmartKey locks?
Call Weiser. They are awesome.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4608 posts
4041 upvotes
Toronto
You can have your keys replicated anywhere. Not sure what the challenge is. I have Weiser smartkeys and have had duplicate keys made at Home Depot, at the kiosks at Canadian Tire, other places.

Why would you want blanks unless you're trying to carve keys yourself?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound
torontotim wrote: You can have your keys replicated anywhere. Not sure what the challenge is. I have Weiser smartkeys and have had duplicate keys made at Home Depot, at the kiosks at Canadian Tire, other places.

Why would you want blanks unless you're trying to carve keys yourself?
Lol.

I've tried those places. None of their keys fit my Weiser smart key locks. They're either too thick or not the right shape.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1733 upvotes
GTA
MayorOfToronto wrote: Lol.

I've tried those places. None of their keys fit my Weiser smart key locks. They're either too thick or not the right shape.
That's odd, for mine I just bring them to any key cutting place and get new ones. The top of my key is a standard one.

What shape is the top of your key? Also, the thickness seems odd as well.
Sep 26, 2008
283 posts
113 upvotes
Longueuil
Rona in Quebec has the smart key blanks, just had one done, the regular KW1 blanks when cut won't work so maybe Lowe's in Ontario since they own Rona but seems you already tried hardware stores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound
avnebbie wrote: Rona in Quebec has the smart key blanks, just had one done, the regular KW1 blanks when cut won't work so maybe Lowe's in Ontario since they own Rona but seems you already tried hardware stores.
Your key says KW1 but a KW1 cut didn't work? Interesting.

My key says KW1 on it. I tried a WR5 but it was too thick. I haven't tried a KW1. Checked with Home Depot, CT, and a small key cutter at the mall and none of them had it in stock.

I'll give Lowes a try. Thanks.
Sep 26, 2008
283 posts
113 upvotes
Longueuil
MayorOfToronto wrote: Your key says KW1 but a KW1 cut didn't work? Interesting.

My key says KW1 on it. I tried a WR5 but it was too thick. I haven't tried a KW1. Checked with Home Depot, CT, and a small key cutter at the mall and none of them had it in stock.

I'll give Lowes a try. Thanks.
Ya I went in the first time and they grabbed a regular KW1 blank it didn't work, didn't go in all the way, and I guess they didn't notice they had smartkey blanks. They made another using proper blank and worked no problem. In pic key on the left is the original Weiser and the one on right is the Rona key. The area circled was were there was a slight difference between the regular KW1 blank and this one.
Images
  • IMG_20200713_173709~3.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound
avnebbie wrote: Ya I went in the first time and they grabbed a regular KW1 blank it didn't work, didn't go in all the way, and I guess they didn't notice they had smartkey blanks. They made another using proper blank and worked no problem. In pic key on the left is the original Weiser and the one on right is the Rona key. The area circled was were there was a slight difference between the regular KW1 blank and this one.
Very helpful info.. thanks!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7214 posts
2241 upvotes
0 downvotes
I LOST my retoolking key thingy, can i get a new one?
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4608 posts
4041 upvotes
Toronto
It's just a small slot shaped pin - if you're desperate you could buy another lockset, use the tool and then return the kit, but that would be only if you're desperate.

Calling Weiser might get you a tool mailed to you for free - large companies tend to do that sort of thing if you actually contact them and ask.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7547 posts
8123 upvotes
Vancouver
avnebbie wrote: Rona in Quebec has the smart key blanks, just had one done, the regular KW1 blanks when cut won't work so maybe Lowe's in Ontario since they own Rona but seems you already tried hardware stores.
You do realize that the "KW" in KW1 stands for Kwikset, a different company with its own unique key blanks?

For Weiser key blanks you are looking for keys that have a code beginning with WR.

There are many locksmith suppliers who sell the key blanks in bulk, not hard to find them with an online search.

The Smartkey system lets you re-key your own lock, as long as you have the original key and a compatible new key. You would use it for example when you buy a new lockset for your door and you want it to use your existing keys to match your other doors. The problem is that it's not a universal system - the keyway (shape of the key slot) has to match between the old key, the new key and the Smartkey lock. There are at least half a dozen common key types in use, and your old key is likely not going to be compatible with your new Smarkey lock unless you checked the code on your old keys and specifically bought the right type.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound
Scote64 wrote: You do realize that the "KW" in KW1 stands for Kwikset, a different company with its own unique key blanks?
Then why did every one of my Weiser locks come with two KW1 keys each?

Scote64 wrote: There are many locksmith suppliers who sell the key blanks in bulk, not hard to find them with an online search.
Sure. Tell me which key I need to search for. Better yet, provide a link to where I can buy some in bulk. It's not hard to find, apparently.

Why did the other user's KW1 cut not fit when his original key was KW1?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4608 posts
4041 upvotes
Toronto
I learned something in this thread, which explains why some of the keys I've had cut are a little challenging to use.

Probably 20% of the keys I've had made don't work very well. The other 80% have been perfect.

So not sure why that would be, if perhaps it matters how the person (or robot) mounts the blank when cutting it or what.

Now that I know the Weiser is a slightly different profile, I'll seek out proper blanks for the next set of keys I have cut.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7547 posts
8123 upvotes
Vancouver
MayorOfToronto wrote: Then why did every one of my Weiser locks come with two KW1 keys each?

... Tell me which key I need to search for. Better yet, provide a link to where I can buy some in bulk. It's not hard to find, apparently.

Why did the other user's KW1 cut not fit when his original key was KW1?
Keep in mind that a locksmith can replace the lock cylinder in an existing lock with a new one, and the new cylinder doesn't have to be from the same company or use the same keyway as the old cylinder. So you might have a Weiser lockset installed, but at some point somebody replaced what was likely a Weiser cylinder originally with a Kwikset cylinder using the KW1 keyway. Maybe they wanted it to use the same key as another lockset they already had using KW1 keys.

AFAIK, any KW1 key should fit the keyway of any KW1 lock cylinder. That's the purpose of the code stamped on the keys and the cylinders, to let you know what type of key is compatible. But you will notice that any experienced key-cutter always checks the appearance of the keyway side-by-side between the old key and the new blank before cutting, just to be sure that it's a match. So perhaps there are cases where the code isn't a guaranteed match - but more likely they are just double-checking to avoid errors in the code match.

As for finding a supplier, just Google "key blanks for sale". Every locksmith on every street in every town needs to buy key blanks, so it's not like they're hard to find. Your issue is that you need to find the right type of key blanks. Most locksmiths initially order a starter kit that comes with a variety of the most common key blanks, and then they re-order the ones they use most.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4700 posts
2257 upvotes
Parry Sound
Scote64 wrote: Keep in mind that a locksmith can replace the lock cylinder in an existing lock with a new one, and the new cylinder doesn't have to be from the same company or use the same keyway as the old cylinder. So you might have a Weiser lockset installed, but at some point somebody replaced what was likely a Weiser cylinder originally with a Kwikset cylinder using the KW1 keyway. Maybe they wanted it to use the same key as another lockset they already had using KW1 keys.
I bought every single lock brand new from Home Depot.

8 different Weiser locks. 16 KW1 keys (2 per lock).

Did Home Depot open every package and replace the cylinder then repackage it?

Bought 2 more from Amazon. Also came with KW1.

Try again.
Scote64 wrote: As for finding a supplier, just Google "key blanks for sale". Every locksmith on every street in every town needs to buy key blanks, so it's not like they're hard to find. Your issue is that you need to find the right type of key blanks.
No shit. That's the whole point of this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7547 posts
8123 upvotes
Vancouver
MayorOfToronto wrote: I bought every single lock brand new from Home Depot.

8 different Weiser locks. 16 KW1 keys (2 per lock).

Did Home Depot open every package and replace the cylinder then repackage it?

Bought 2 more from Amazon. Also came with KW1.

Try again.
Sorry, I can't help you any further. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2615 upvotes
BC
Aren't Weiser and Kwikset under the same umbrella now?

Kwikset is part of the Hardware and Home Improvement Group of Stanley Black & Decker, which also owns lockset manufacturers Weiser and Baldwin.

Kwikset locks have now evolved to include many Weiser features, and Weiser locks now use Kwikset's "SmartKey" self rekeyable lock technology and Kwikset keyways.

A Weiser entry set I bought recently came with keys stamped "Smartkey Compatible KW1".

The 5 Weiser deadbolts that builder installed all came with keys marked KW1 although I have one or two that say WR6/KW1.

Have never had to extras cut, so can't provide advice on that.

Always managed to rekey successfully (but sometimes needed a few tries).
Sep 26, 2008
283 posts
113 upvotes
Longueuil
Scote64 wrote: You do realize that the "KW" in KW1 stands for Kwikset, a different company with its own unique key blanks?

For Weiser key blanks you are looking for keys that have a code beginning with WR.
Weiser in Canada, Kwikset in the States both owned and manufactured by Black and Decker using the same parts. Weiser smart key locks where you can rekey yourself and maybe others I am not sure are built with a Kwikset cylinder.

As Op said all his Weiser locks have no "w" starting code just KW1 as do mine and I am original installer with 2 original keys and lock or cylinder has never been changed.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12914 posts
7672 upvotes
Brampton
macnut wrote: Aren't Weiser and Kwikset under the same umbrella now?

Kwikset is part of the Hardware and Home Improvement Group of Stanley Black & Decker, which also owns lockset manufacturers Weiser and Baldwin.

Kwikset locks have now evolved to include many Weiser features, and Weiser locks now use Kwikset's "SmartKey" self rekeyable lock technology and Kwikset keyways.

A Weiser entry set I bought recently came with keys stamped "Smartkey Compatible KW1".

The 5 Weiser deadbolts that builder installed all came with keys marked KW1 although I have one or two that say WR6/KW1.

Have never had to extras cut, so can't provide advice on that.

Always managed to rekey successfully (but sometimes needed a few tries).
Yes they both owned by Spectrum brands.
That's why I'm surprised when OP said KW1's don't work. Not all key cutters are the same. All it takes is a machine with a warn out cutting blade to not cut deep enough by 1mm (barely noticeable unless you overlay them under a magnifier) and it won't work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)