Home & Garden

Where can I dispose removed sod or better can I compost it?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2018 10:21 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON

Where can I dispose removed sod or better can I compost it?

Hi guys

I have and area like 25'x50' where I want to remove the lawn and seed grass.
What is the best way to deal with the soil+grass aka sod that will be removed?
Can I dispose it somewhere in the city ?
Can I compost it ?

The corresponding volume seems to be around 250 cft (8cbm =2mx2mx2m) (25x50x0.208) if I go to full depth with this guy
https://www.homedepot.ca/content/homede ... utter.html
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
11 replies
Banned
Mar 4, 2018
40 posts
52 upvotes
Markham
I took apart a section of 25'x30' last summer to put in patio stones.

Simple way to dispose of the sod, put them in the recyclable paper bags. Top off with grass clippings.

We could dispose 4 bags per week at maximum.

It takes forever to compost. Especially for such a large section.

The soil I reused for leveling and some was thrown into my garden.

The other option, you still need to bag and you need to ship to the place that takes in yard waste in your region. You may need to pay a fee depending on how much you are disposing. They will check. A pickup is advised as you will have lots to dump. If you put the sod in black garbage bags they may not even take it. Check with your region.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5318 posts
2457 upvotes
Sellonkijiji wrote: Simple way to dispose of the sod, put them in the recyclable paper bags. Top off with grass clippings.
aka break waste collection rules
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2619 posts
1594 upvotes
Alliston, ON
My local garbage dump takes sod and soil for free. An area that size cutting it at 2.5" thick will be very heavy. Rent a dump trailer from HD or get a small disposal bin dropped off
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
I just had like an Everyka moment. I am planning to have a sort of nursery area that consists in an area with cement slabs and big planters just along the side of my garage.
I am going to need soil for all those large planters I am wondering if this will smell especially if I turn the sod with the upside down, I add some black soil and then put the plants there.
I can eventually make something like this
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1123 posts
921 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote: I just had like an Everyka moment. I am planning to have a sort of nursery area that consists in an area with cement slabs and big planters just along the side of my garage.
I am going to need soil for all those large planters I am wondering if this will smell especially if I turn the sod with the upside down, I add some black soil and then put the plants there.
I can eventually make something like this
Yup I did that too.
Had a few raised garden beds built at same time I dug out a few areas for patio stones

Flip that sod upside down into the bottom of the raised garden and topped off with bagged soil and voila! Free infill at the bottom half of my raised garden that also broke down the sod during the summer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
BoredAtWork wrote: Yup I did that too.
Had a few raised garden beds built at same time I dug out a few areas for patio stones

Flip that sod upside down into the bottom of the raised garden and topped off with bagged soil and voila! Free infill at the bottom half of my raised garden that also broke down the sod during the summer
Any bad smell coming out of that during the warmer days?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1123 posts
921 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousC wrote: Any bad smell coming out of that during the warmer days?
No smell cause it’s just sod decomposing.
It’s not like a normal food compost bin where it would smell.

In fact the stuff I grew there during that summer gave me quicker harvest than the boxes I didn’t use the sod to infill, might be a coincidence but point is no smell and I saved some money, labour and bags
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
BoredAtWork wrote: No smell cause it’s just sod decomposing.
It’s not like a normal food compost bin where it would smell.

In fact the stuff I grew there during that summer gave me quicker harvest than the boxes I didn’t use the sod to infill, might be a coincidence but point is no smell and I saved some money, labour and bags
I was told that that type of compost or whatever it is named is one of the best!
Usually if you compost grass clippings only that smells bad... in this case it will be grass and soil ~ 2.5" layers
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
JWL wrote: If you get a sod cutter so the sod is usable, put it on your curb with a FREE sign and it will disappear!
I doubt someone will get that ugly lawn that I am trying to rebuild this way
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4974 upvotes
Here 'n There
Place an add on the freecycleto forum on freecycle.org and offer you clean fill that can be used to fill a hole or depression in the ground.

It's amazing the stuff I have given away on both those forums that someone wanted and would otherwise have ended up in garbage or cost me money to haul to the dump. The less garbage we all create the better it is for the world.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)