Real Estate

Where can I find a reasonably priced small apartment $600 and under?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2016 8:50 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Mar 8, 2016
325 posts
48 upvotes

Where can I find a reasonably priced small apartment $600 and under?

I have been looking and can't seem to find any. You guys have any sources?
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
3052 posts
1070 upvotes
North York
Where are you looking? Regardless, good luck finding your own place for anywhere close to that
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14079 posts
9293 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Jane and Finch.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46344 posts
9359 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
You really gotta post your location... $600 is very difficult. Occassionally...bachelors will pop up in the parkdale area for that amount. They are very small. Some even have a stoveinkerator. Stove, sink, and fridge all in one... With a single bed near by and a shower stall. I've seen some where theres only one sink for toiletry use and kitchen use... But there really isn't a kitchen. Just a table for your microwave. They discourage the use of hot plates, but people probably use them anyways.
Theresa few buildings in the annex area that are like this. Mainly for u of t students.

These bachelor apartments are fully self contained, but ultra small.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
Youll have to live with roommates or possibly find a really shitty bachelor around the york university area. Maybe you could find a basement apartment in these same shitty areas for that too.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3316 posts
429 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
Not in North Vancouver maybe in Saskatoon lol
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4948 upvotes
Here 'n There
zerotwo wrote: I have been looking and can't seem to find any. You guys have any sources?
In 1980 pretty well anywhere. Rev up your time machine!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5089 posts
2271 upvotes
In Toronto/GTA ...

If you want your own bathroom and kitchen, it's probably not attainable for $600.

If you are willing to share, there are places close to Colleges and Universities that take a house and make it 10-room place and rent each room for $400-500

Bathroom and washrooms are shared.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19387 posts
2138 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
UrbanPoet wrote: You really gotta post your location... $600 is very difficult. Occassionally...bachelors will pop up in the parkdale area for that amount. They are very small. Some even have a stoveinkerator. Stove, sink, and fridge all in one... With a single bed near by and a shower stall. I've seen some where theres only one sink for toiletry use and kitchen use... But there really isn't a kitchen. Just a table for your microwave. They discourage the use of hot plates, but people probably use them anyways.
Theresa few buildings in the annex area that are like this. Mainly for u of t students.

These bachelor apartments are fully self contained, but ultra small.
These use to be on the corner of Dupont and landowners before they converted it to condos now. Ky brother had one and it barely fit a twin size bed and the kitchen was no more than an your arm span in length. Id say it's probably 250 sq feet.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19387 posts
2138 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Sharks316 wrote: Not in North Vancouver maybe in Saskatoon lol
I suspect there are quite a few provinces within this price range but certainly not Toronto or Vancouver.

Some.basemenr apartments are really well silent up but you are looking at North of 1k for that but somerhing like a makeshift apartment umm may be 500-600 would do.

I rented a basement apartment on gamble and pape? Anyways it was so bad. My head almost touches the ceiling and I'm not a tall guy. hardly any water pressure to speak of and when you are taking a shower it's more of a trickle than a shower. I was down and out at the time and it was all me and my dad could afford on welfare. Either that or I dropped out of school to work at mcdonalds.

If 600 is all you can afford make the best of it. If you can't move back home then yeah, try to find something that's in the range and make it work for you. I really feel for people who can't afford livable arrangements. I've been Kb some hell holes van in my life.
Aug 13, 2015
29 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
renoldman wrote: In Toronto/GTA ...

If you want your own bathroom and kitchen, it's probably not attainable for $600.

If you are willing to share, there are places close to Colleges and Universities that take a house and make it 10-room place and rent each room for $400-500

10-room place ? I have seen a 15-room place when I went to look for a room advertised for $600 in chinatown last year.
The house had three bedrooms. Each bedroom split into 3 units !!! The lounge split into 4 units.

The corridor (you read it right) was split into 2 units. When I asked where was the advertised bedroom, I was told I was standing in it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
renoldman wrote: In Toronto/GTA ...

JBeverley wrote: 10-room place ? I have seen a 15-room place when I went to look for a room advertised for $600 in chinatown last year.
The house had three bedrooms. Each bedroom split into 3 units !!! The lounge split into 4 units.

The corridor (you read it right) was split into 2 units. When I asked where was the advertised bedroom, I was told I was standing in it.
So these are legal until a fire or hell breaks lose?
Mar 1, 2014
663 posts
755 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: So these are legal until a fire or hell breaks lose?
Illegal of course, but people do illegal stuff all the time unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7488 posts
4784 upvotes
Victoria, BC
zerotwo wrote: I have been looking and can't seem to find any. You guys have any sources?
It would help if you included your city. There may be some towns with these kind of low rents, but in most places you wouldn't get a rental that cheap (or not the traditional type place with your own kitchen, etc). For $600 you will most likely be needing roommates, or in some kind of rooming house situation (unless you live in some really small town where $600 rental is normal).