Cell Phones

Where can I find a SIM card that works internationally?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2022 9:35 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes

Where can I find a SIM card that works internationally?

Thanks
17 replies
Nov 24, 2010
243 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
berrytree wrote: Thanks
I think you are going to have to be more specific as to what you are asking. Wouldn't most SIM cards work internationally but there would be roaming fees.
Aug 18, 2019
442 posts
420 upvotes
I have Public mobile SIM card and want to travel to Poland too but public mobile only supports USA roaming. Any advise folks? Sorry for hijacking your thread op Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
~teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals~
Aug 30, 2012
184 posts
96 upvotes
"to clueless dude"
Get a Polish sim card (make sure your phone is unlocked ...don't use Roam like home...the cost of one day of roaming will equal what you will pay for your entire visit using local sim for data )at the convenience store on arrival hall at airport..We used "PLAY" If you check incoming texts the company gives reward offers which stretches out the value of your plans
https://www.play.pl/
https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Poland
https://www.play.pl/en/

don't bother getting any zloty in Canada..can do ATM on arrival at Airport .... then do Kantor(cash places) or ATMs

one suggestion is to book tours of palaces ,castles and museums online if possible to beat the lineups...... very efficient.

Train travel was so efficient and on time ...a few days before you want to go to next place hit the train station to book tickets or do it online(there are several apps with train schedules you can use such as BILKOM ) ..first class is cheap.

Booking.com worked great for booking places to stay ...we only booked our arrival place in advance of our trip ..then booked a few days in advance of whatever place we were going to .

Note all of the above is before covid and the war in Ukraine...but the Polish sim cards will no doubt be available

Answering the original post :if your phone is unlocked just do a bit of research for the country where you are going an get a local sim card upon arrival.
Let us know which country or area you want to go to?
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
A post-paid account on the major networks (Bell, Rogers, Telus, not including their sub-brands) should have international roaming. Probably expensive, though, so best to get a local number if you plan on using it regularly.

My old Fido per-minute prepaid (got it around 2002, when it was Microcell) was able to receive SMSes when I was in Germany in 2018. I wouldn't expect recent Fido prepaid accounts to work, though.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Just pick up a local pre-paid sim card at the airport. Almost all airports has these.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
Thanks everyone, I should have been more specific.

@Cheapo-Findo probably has it right.

I'm actually planning a round the world so I'll be on different continents. Was thinking of getting one SIM to rule them all - and receive messages no matter where I am.

I am with PM in Canada and as @clueless dude (no problem about intervening here :) ) PM doesn't support any international roaming.

Based on what I'm hearing you guys say, I may need to just pick one up per country.

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
May 31, 2006
6365 posts
776 upvotes
Toronto
I used AirSim when I travelled in Asia. It supports multiple countries. You just have to buy packages that meet your needs. The one sim can be used on different networks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7848 posts
9211 upvotes
Vancouver
The cheapest way is to buy prepaid SIMs from your visiting country on eBay.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
Thanks guys - I will take a look. Cheers.
Dec 29, 2021
72 posts
80 upvotes
If you only need data and you have eSim supported device, I'd suggest to look at Dent Wireless. Their plan is available in 61 countries and they do have marketplace where you can buy 1GB for 4-5$.. If you buy from them, then it is a bit more expensive but also it is valid for 365 days and you can sell if not needed..
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2020
2720 posts
1994 upvotes
idfrro wrote: If you only need data and you have eSim supported device, I'd suggest to look at Dent Wireless. Their plan is available in 61 countries and they do have marketplace where you can buy 1GB for 4-5$.. If you buy from them, then it is a bit more expensive but also it is valid for 365 days and you can sell if not needed..
Wow ! Thank you - this might work indeed. Now I need a phone that accepts eSims.

Where's the marketplace to buy 1GB for $4-5 please?

Thanks again @idfrro
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2522 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
berrytree wrote: Wow ! Thank you - this might work indeed. Now I need a phone that accepts eSims.

Thanks again @idfrro
Offers from Dent marketplace come and go and can vary depending on seller. Usually, the shorter the validity, the cheaper it will be than something you can use for a month or more. Regular price for 1GB is US$9.99 valid 365 days but you can earn more fairly quickly by watching daily ads. I recently spun the wheel for a free 1GB !
Last edited by wysiwyg on Mar 28th, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Celebrating 21+ years on RFD!
Dec 29, 2021
72 posts
80 upvotes
berrytree wrote: Wow ! Thank you - this might work indeed. Now I need a phone that accepts eSims.

Thanks again @idfrro
Marketplace is like any other market place, it all depends on the current offer, but I have never had hard time to find 'short' term data for 4-5$ .. Dent has much better pricing and time expiring than other providers. eSim any iphone that is in the last 4 years (iPhone XR and up) has and some of Androids. There are many other 'Data Only' providers using only eSim and that is probably the best way to go. I'm sure even some local providers have it and it makes it easier as you can purchase earlier and you don't have to go to the store.. Couple other providers are Airalo and Nomad but for sure, just do research.

As for Dent, you will have to install an app to see the marketplace, but that's free anyway. Also, you can make some 'coins' watching adds and spin a wheel to get some data that you can try even home. I'm using Dent as my backup here in Canada, once i'm out of my data and it works fine. Beauty of Dent, is you install only one eSim and it works in 61 country (you can check the list in the app), so if you have some data leftover (not used and you are moving to another supported country, you can use it there. If eSim doesn't work, you can always go with local cards.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
berrytree wrote: Where's the marketplace to buy 1GB for $4-5 please?
This is a good read, lots of info especially in the first post
roaming-sims-travelers-2183565/
This maybe an answer for phones which lack eSIM.
esim-me-stores-all-esims-single-physica ... 9-2500975/

However, I've commented on the caveats and things you should know. If you travel and cross multiple borders, this eSIM.me card maybe useful for you, especially if you want the convenience of using eSIM. Check out that thread to see if this product maybe useful for your around-the-world travel
Sep 22, 2005
957 posts
310 upvotes
BC
Freedom mobile prepaid plan has free incoming txts even if you are roaming.
Jun 16, 2017
146 posts
53 upvotes
for travel in SEA, always go with local SIM card and never a roaming package. Currently in Thailand and have local SIM, unlimited data at decent speed for $35 CAD total for 90 days. Similar prices in neighbouring countries.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)