Food & Drink

Where can I get the best mozzarella?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 9:38 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There

Where can I get the best mozzarella?

I am looking for something not commercially packaged brands but more artisinal. Any ideas?
21 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2011
1716 posts
727 upvotes
The Cheese Boutique
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
10186 posts
12176 upvotes
Vancouver
eonibm wrote: I am looking for something not commercially packaged brands but more artisinal. Any ideas?
Duso's on Granville Island is where I go for good mozza. You don't say where you are, but I'm pretty sure I can guess.
I'm going To go out On a limb heRe and guess that yOu're iN SaskaToOn?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
Your exacTly right I am in that gOdforsaken wRetched place tONighT SaskatOon.
Sr. Member
Feb 2, 2014
529 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Quality Cheese in Woodbridge makes fresh mozzarella every day. Their burratta has won awards (and so has their ricotta, but that's not what you asked for).
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
tjindersingh wrote: Quality Cheese in Woodbridge makes fresh mozzarella every day. Their burratta has won awards (and so has their ricotta, but that's not what you asked for).
Great thanks. That was the kind of info I was looking for. I am going to buy some from them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
Quality Cheese does indeed have great fresh mozzarella. A bit far to travel from the city though.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
When I purchased it they placed the mozzarella in a plastic container without any of the liquid. I found it odd that they omitted it yet they store it in liquid. Is the liquid necessary to help preserve it? They said it is good for 5 days. I note that when I buy pre-packaged Fior de Latte or Buffalo Mozzarella it is always in liquid so I was wondering. Does anyone know?
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
superfresh89 wrote: Make your own? I haven't tried making mozzarella, but I've made queso fresco, which is basically 1 step and 1 ingredient short of mozza.

All you need is:
- whole milk
- citric acid or vinegar
- liquid rennet
- water

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/ ... me-gallery
I like to do a lot of my things from scratch but I think I'll skip trying to make mozzarella. I watched a segment on CBS Sunday Morning (best and 2nd longest running show on TV btw, 9am Sundays) last Sunday on making mozzarella and it takes more than 6 months to be able to perfect it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5734 posts
5213 upvotes
eonibm wrote: I like to do a lot of my things from scratch but I think I'll skip trying to make mozzarella. I watched a segment on CBS Sunday Morning (best and 2nd longest running show on TV btw, 9am Sundays) last Sunday on making mozzarella and it takes more than 6 months to be able to perfect it.
I do highly recommend making queso fresco at home though. It was one of the easiest things I've DIY'd and was super delicious. Look up some mexican recipes for ideas on how to use it up.

You could also press it in cheese cloth to make paneer/halloumi
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
Quality Cheese's mozzarella is exquisite!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9293 posts
3615 upvotes
eonibm wrote: When I purchased it they placed the mozzarella in a plastic container without any of the liquid. I found it odd that they omitted it yet they store it in liquid. Is the liquid necessary to help preserve it? They said it is good for 5 days. I note that when I buy pre-packaged Fior de Latte or Buffalo Mozzarella it is always in liquid so I was wondering. Does anyone know?
If it's yellow it's whey (fancy) and if it's grey it's brine (usual). It just helps the cheese maintain its texture. Then again, refrigeration messes with texture too. I wouldn't replace it because if you go too salty or not salty enough you will mess with the intended salt levels in your cheese. Also you could add unwanted flavours like the iodine in table salt or minerals in fancy salt.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
lecale wrote: If it's yellow it's whey (fancy) and if it's grey it's brine (usual). It just helps the cheese maintain its texture. Then again, refrigeration messes with texture too. I wouldn't replace it because if you go too salty or not salty enough you will mess with the intended salt levels in your cheese. Also you could add unwanted flavours like the iodine in table salt or minerals in fancy salt.
I was just wondering if they should have put the liquid it was already in with it. The bucket the mozza was in was full to the brim so they easily could have so I was curious why they did not.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
OrangeBerry wrote: Isn't Bocconcini mozza also?
Yes. That's actually what I bought but next time I will buy larger balls as they are easier to cut into slices to place on pizza.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6912 posts
1614 upvotes
lecale wrote: Then again, refrigeration messes with texture too.
The best fresh mozzarella is made in the morning and eaten for lunch, never refrigerated. With lots of basil and ripe garden tomato slices.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1307 posts
942 upvotes
bonterra wrote: The best fresh mozzarella is made in the morning and eaten for lunch, never refrigerated. With lots of basil and ripe garden tomato slices.
I am salivating just thinking about it.

Top