Home & Garden

where can I get the building plan drawings?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2021 11:10 am
[OP]
Nov 15, 2009
118 posts
17 upvotes
Saskatoon

where can I get the building plan drawings?

I would like to renovate my house(built in 1963,4 level split house), I have submitted a request to the city for a building plan drawings, but they could not find it, I am wondering where else I could get it from? Thanks
13 replies
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4733 posts
1697 upvotes
The Municipal office.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5103 posts
1392 upvotes
amybear wrote: I would like to renovate my house(built in 1963,4 level split house), I have submitted a request to the city for a building plan drawings, but they could not find it, I am wondering where else I could get it from? Thanks
If you're planning structural work your structural engineer will prepare a drawing. We were only taking down 1 main floor wall and our engineer prepared a drawing for all 3 floors of the house. In our municipality they only keep the drawings for ~5years.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2818 posts
1055 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: If you're planning structural work your structural engineer will prepare a drawing. We were only taking down 1 main floor wall and our engineer prepared a drawing for all 3 floors of the house. In our municipality they only keep the drawings for ~5years.
Could you share your approximate cost for the drawings?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1150 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
amybear wrote: I would like to renovate my house(built in 1963,4 level split house), I have submitted a request to the city for a building plan drawings, but they could not find it, I am wondering where else I could get it from? Thanks
1964? Those drawings are long gone. You will need to have new ones created.
Jun 26, 2019
981 posts
735 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Could you share your approximate cost for the drawings?
You could probably ball park between $2 and 3k depending on the scope of the work. This would probably be for one or two alterations and a drawing set.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5103 posts
1392 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: You could probably ball park between $2 and 3k depending on the scope of the work. This would probably be for one or two alterations and a drawing set.
We paid $2k. Full floor plans as well as elevation drawings, 16 pages. Very quick turnaround for us too, ~10 days.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jun 1, 2017
462 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
Toukolou wrote: We paid $2k. Full floor plans as well as elevation drawings, 16 pages. Very quick turnaround for us too, ~10 days.
How many hours did they spend on-site taking measurements?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5103 posts
1392 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: You could probably ball park between $2 and 3k depending on the scope of the work. This would probably be for one or two alterations and a drawing set.
projectman44 wrote: How many hours did they spend on-site taking measurements?
Couple/three hours? Give or take.

Measured, opened up sections of wall, etc...
Lucky
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
smitty9999 wrote: 1964? Those drawings are long gone. You will need to have new ones created.
or they are stored in a central filing room and no municipal employee is going to sift through hundreds to thousands of improperly stored rolls of paper.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2818 posts
1055 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: We paid $2k. Full floor plans as well as elevation drawings, 16 pages. Very quick turnaround for us too, ~10 days.
Wow, that's super reasonable. Thanks for the info. It seems like the price can vary quite a bit. Some firms want almost $1K just to take measurements.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9987 posts
5259 upvotes
Paris
I tried to get my 2000 built house plans in 2007 and the County of Brant laughed at me. We bought in 2007 and were the second owners.
Nov 30, 2005
332 posts
163 upvotes
North York
Not a true compatible but got drawings done for my pool permit done for $500
Jun 26, 2019
981 posts
735 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Wow, that's super reasonable. Thanks for the info. It seems like the price can vary quite a bit. Some firms want almost $1K just to take measurements.
You're probably going to want a smaller firm to get a better price on it. To cover their costs at a min of $125-150 an hour for an Engineer, the site visits can get expensive fast.

Most of the time for a simple wall removal for the site visit and drawing set its usually around $2k or a bit more. Just in terms of liability to stamp something you're only billing $2k for is a pretty good deal for the homeowner.