Computers & Electronics

Where can I get drivers/software for the HP SSD EX 920/950 M.2 PCIe?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2019 5:51 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto

Where can I get drivers/software for the HP SSD EX 920/950 M.2 PCIe?

I just purchased the HP SSD EX950 M.2 PCIe and am not able to find any drivers/software for this device. Could someone please point me to where I can find this info?

To those who bought the EX920, where did you get the drivers and the most recent firmware update from? I called HP to get info about the HP950 and even HP920 and they could not point me to any updates.

Thanks
Last edited by hightech on Apr 2nd, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5437 upvotes
you don't need drivers for it, if ou need driver then it's most likely your motherboard's chipset
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Yes I think it will be detected fine, but is there not any software that comes with it for things like firmware updates? My Samsung SSD's all come with software to manage the SSD as well as to update the firmware as needed
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
In Windows --> Device Manager, right click on the nvme disk controller, select update driver.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: In Windows --> Device Manager, right click on the nvme disk controller, select update driver.
Ok but what about firmware updates? How do people who have the EX920 gone about getting firmware updates?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13938 posts
5437 upvotes
did you check teh hp page or google?

seems like you are just waiting for spoonfed answers
The sweetest gyal
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
sexyj wrote: did you check teh hp page or google?

seems like you are just waiting for spoonfed answers
I checked the HP site and didn't find anything. Google took me to a link on reddit about firmware and pointed me to a North American reseller who has since taken the site down due to increased traffic: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/co ... sfirmware/

I figure that if there is going to be a challenge getting this info from HP now, I am not sure how things will go in the future. I might just get a Samsung (and pay the premium) and be done with it.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: For all that Googling...and you didn't get to this page? https://www.multipointe.com/downloads/

Your Google-Fu needs some work. :-) j/k
That was the site that I saw the other day but stopped working earlier today. I guess it is back up. Thanks. I see that they have drivers but no software to manage the SSD. The Adata version seems to have software for firmware updates, drive management, etc. : http://www.xpg.com/us/download/583
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
hightech wrote: That was the site that I saw the other day but stopped working earlier today. I guess it is back up. Thanks. I see that they have drivers but no software to manage the SSD. The Adata version seems to have software for firmware updates, drive management, etc. : http://www.xpg.com/us/download/583
What aspect(s) of the SSD are you looking to 'manage'?
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
OP,
Why worry about firmware for the SSD drive? Does W10 handle the driver?
Not sure about Samsung, my Crucial SSD drives manage by Cricial Storage Executive, it tells me if there is a new firmware. I can update or ignore it. I guess you need something like that for your Samsung.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: What aspect(s) of the SSD are you looking to 'manage'?
Similar to what I can do with my Samsung Magic Software:

- Performance Optimization (besides running TRIM)
- Over Provisioning
- Secure Erase
- Encryption (if needed)
- Firmware Updates
- Software Updates
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote: OP,
Why worry about firmware for the SSD drive? Does W10 handle the driver?
Not sure about Samsung, my Crucial SSD drives manage by Cricial Storage Executive, it tells me if there is a new firmware. I can update or ignore it. I guess you need something like that for your Samsung.
Windows has the driver but the HP SSD does not have any software like your Crucial or Samsung.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
hightech wrote: Similar to what I can do with my Samsung Magic Software:

- Performance Optimization (besides running TRIM)
- Over Provisioning
- Secure Erase
- Encryption (if needed)
- Firmware Updates
- Software Updates
- Performance Optimization (besides running TRIM) --> Assuming GC needs to run in foreground?
- Over Provisioning --> Use less space instead...or partition it.
- Secure Erase --> Free tools can do this
- Encryption (if needed) --> N/A for all HP EX series.
- Firmware Updates --> I hope there's less firmware updates...Firmware updates means something wasn't done right / to the best possible of their abilities.
- Software Updates --> Less is more in my book.

If having the software makes you feel better, then this isn't for you. Look elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
chatbox wrote: - Performance Optimization (besides running TRIM) --> Assuming GC needs to run in foreground?
I have to wonder how much of this is snake oil.
What other performance can software do that the drive itself isn't already doing?
- Over Provisioning --> Use less space instead...or partition it.
Is technically useful, but not really outside of enterprise where 100% speed is more important than a few more GB.
Even then... if speed is the ultimate goal, it's better to suit the thing to the task rather than the task to the thing.
- Secure Erase --> Free tools can do this
I'm more curious why this is even needed in your regular OS?
For me I have bootable tools that will handle this because I'm pretty sure secure erasing a live system isn't a good idea.
Even if you're wiping a secondary drive, why have software installed 24/7? There's no reason for it.
- Encryption (if needed) --> N/A for all HP EX series.
Not that I'd trust anything that isn't open source anyway....
- Firmware Updates --> I hope there's less firmware updates...Firmware updates means something wasn't done right / to the best possible of their abilities.
I mean... it's nice having firmware updates because things do go wrong. Without a way to do it you could be left exposed to stuff that does go wrong.
It's impossible to have 100% working stuff forever.
- Software Updates --> Less is more in my book.
I'm totally in agreement with this, especially if it's something the OS could manage.
Look at ASUS and their recent malware thing.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)