where can I get my old iMac repaired?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 5:33 pm
[OP]
Aug 8, 2016
10 posts

where can I get my old iMac repaired?

Hey everyone,

I've got an old iMac. It's probably ten years old. This morning it refused to power up and I need to get it repaired ASAP. Unfortunately, the authorized Mac repair people I've called said it will never be done by Wednesday because the parts are obsolete and they recommend going through a third party. I'm having trouble finding a third party. I'm located at Queen and Dufferin. (Since I have no car and would have to carry this thing on the TTC, shops outside of the GTA are going to be difficult.)

I have a work deadline to get a project done this Wednesday. Even though I have never had any indication it was going to die, I literally just purchased a new replacement for it and, after I finished this project, I was going to start working on the new computer.

Any suggestions?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3059 posts
668 upvotes
Sounds like you need some files on the broken Mac? Can you obtain an external enclosure for the old hard drive and access it that way while using your new comp?
[OP]
Aug 8, 2016
10 posts
edited. gibberish.
Last edited by jbeeeee on Jun 1st, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2016
10 posts
coilz wrote: Sounds like you need some files on the broken Mac? Can you obtain an external enclosure for the old hard drive and access it that way while using your new comp?
No, I actually need to get this repaired to finish the project. My new computer is a PC. I was going to start using a whole new program, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5748 posts
1305 upvotes
Markham
jbeeeee wrote: No, I actually need to get this repaired to finish the project. My new computer is a PC. I was going to start using a whole new program, etc.
Can you just go to Toronto public library and use their computer
[OP]
Aug 8, 2016
10 posts
smartie wrote: Can you just go to Toronto public library and use their computer
No, the project I'm trying to finish is trapped on this computer. Even if I got all the files off of this computer, I'd still need to find a Mac with Final Cut Pro to finish on. And probably an old version of Final Cut Pro, since I doubt the old files are compatible with the newest versions of FCP.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15522 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
It will take time for a repair shop to determine the source of the problem and, regardless of where you go, the required parts may not be readily available or carried by that particular Mac repair shop.

It may be easier to get it diagnosed and then call around to see if you can find the part.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3059 posts
668 upvotes
jbeeeee wrote: No, I actually need to get this repaired to finish the project. My new computer is a PC. I was going to start using a whole new program, etc.
Since you're on a deadline might have to suck it up and start with the raw files again and just get it done on the new computer? Hope it ain't a huge multi week/month project. :( Or maybe try to source a used imac/macbook/ any mac of the same era and get the program and finish it that way. I sense getting it repaired by your deadline is going to be super tight if not impossible. Sorry can't be more helpful with ideas :(

edit: Just looked at the local kijiji (I am in edmonton) you can get a 2008 imac for $230 2010/2011 $450-550ish . Any repair with parts/labor is probably gonna cost you a bit already so maybe used is ok?. Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14207 posts
3243 upvotes
Markham
Which year of iMac ?
Some Older ones are easy to open and get access to the hard drive inside. The screen is held by magnets.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Oct 26, 2016
227 posts
182 upvotes
Ottawa
A bit lame but I guess you could possibly buy a computer from the Apple store and use their return policy afterwards
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3059 posts
668 upvotes
So wednesday came and went... what did you end up doing OP?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15522 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
OP needs to use an old version of final cut and a new Mac will probably come with Mojave and downgrading to anything older than high Sierra is probably not possible.