Home & Garden

Where can I get a small custom cut ledge made out of limestone in Toronto / GTA (pics)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2021 9:28 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote

Where can I get a small custom cut ledge made out of limestone in Toronto / GTA (pics)

I'd like to clean up this area by my window and place a ledge made out of limestone with exact measurements.

Does anyone know where I could order such a ledge made to measure? I'd then mortar it in with a few bricks to tie it in with my fireplace hearth. Bonus points if you can ballpark the cost :)

8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1733 upvotes
GTA
Getting something fabricated and custom made will probably be expensive.

Have you thought of going to a stone yard and just picking out a stone coping or step?

Lots of natural stones to chose from, and it will be $15/ft a most for 12" deep.

So you're looking at $60 and then just need to figure out how you cut it. If you had the dimesnions, you could likely get the stoneyard to cut it for you.... prices differ, but some charge like $5 a cut.
Jan 2, 2014
33 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
you can try masons masonry , or a custom kitchen counter . I personally wouldnt do the cut out and have it sit on the original hearth .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5784 posts
4929 upvotes
Oakville, ON
T00THPICKS wrote: I'd like to clean up this area by my window and place a ledge made out of limestone with exact measurements.

Does anyone know where I could order such a ledge made to measure? I'd then mortar it in with a few bricks to tie it in with my fireplace hearth. Bonus points if you can ballpark the cost :)
I’d try and get the new limestone cut square to Mae that part easier and cheaper, and instead remove that odd cut stone and get it re-cut to fit flush with the new piece. Anyone who does installation of custom pavers will have a concrete saw to cut that piece. Pretty sure you can also rent a saw for the day but might also have to pay for a new blade. Either way, should be a lot less than trying to get a new custom piece cut in an odd shape.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
CanadianLurker wrote: I’d try and get the new limestone cut square to Mae that part easier and cheaper, and instead remove that odd cut stone and get it re-cut to fit flush with the new piece. Anyone who does installation of custom pavers will have a concrete saw to cut that piece. Pretty sure you can also rent a saw for the day but might also have to pay for a new blade. Either way, should be a lot less than trying to get a new custom piece cut in an odd shape.
thats a really good point about cutting it flush to save the trouble of the custom piece.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7253 posts
2836 upvotes
GTA
You should consider using the fireplace white blocks instead of limestone. Right now there are the white blocks, bricks under, a different natural stone brick around fireplace-adding another material might be too much
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7388 posts
3113 upvotes
Why not look into removing it altogether? It looks as though the tile runs beneath it to the wall.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Aug 25, 2006
236 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly a diamond blade on jigsaw, diamond blade on an angle grinder, or a masonry blade on a sawzall reciprocating saw will make short work of limestone and you can shape it into anything you want for exact fit. Lucky for you limestone is actually one of the easiest stones to cut (way easier then concrete pavers) ... you can probably even do it with a hack saw + carbide grit blade , steady hand, and some patience.

Dunno your location but if in gta just drive up to someplace like 404 stone and buy the right sized coping slab cash-and-carry for your needs https://www.404stone.com/natural-stone/natural-coping/

Probably $100 for the slab and >$30 for the blade + whatever tool to mount the blade on assuming you don't have one. I'm sure one of these stone places can cut it for you for a few bucks cash tip on top if you give them a diagram or cardboard template of what you need exactly (so you can save the blade cost and reallocate to labor cost).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)