Home & Garden

Where can I get threaded metal pipe for cheap?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2019 10:38 pm
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9646 posts
5037 upvotes
Paris
Restore maybe. I looked in the summer and the answer I found was no where. I bought pipe at depot and elbows at lowes.
May 13, 2007
169 posts
76 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
it's cast iron pipe & fittings - google it
- getting it cut & threaded will be the big deal. Princess Auto, Amazon, and probably other suppliest have VERY cheap units that might get the job done (if used carefully and properly - see Bombero1411's review on Princess Auto's site).
- the professional tools are made by Ridgid. The hand tool and die can be purchased at many industrial supply companies ... and Amazon ...
- gripping the pipe while cutting the threads can be extremely difficult. Cutting oil is a MUST.
- look at rental shops where they have the electric machines, clamping vice, and pipe cutters.
- the Etsy price will start to look pretty attractive ...
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3917 posts
1899 upvotes
Home Hardware has black malleable iron pipe precut and threaded along with the fittings. Other big box stores may have the same. Plumbers or HVAC co's may have used pipe and fittings cheaper. They used 1/2" in the picture ... may want to go to at least 3/4" as would be sturdier.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/search?q ... black+pipe
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4809 posts
1339 upvotes
Home Depot has tons of them in the plumbing section.

I use them for pipe clamps. They're about $2-3/ft off the top of my head.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3166 posts
2136 upvotes
Toronto
These projects are never cheap - the pipe and fittings are expensive. That clothing rack would likely cost $100 to build or so I'd guess. And without something locking the two sets of wheels together across the bottom, the 'legs' are going to pivot if you're moving it along the floor and one of them gets hung up on something.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1344 posts
475 upvotes
Ontario
I bought a bunch from rustydesigns.ca
Apr 8, 2010
779 posts
430 upvotes
toronto
some home depots has a die that will thread it so you can get it cut to size/ threaded there.

I did a similar project with pipes and after the pipes, jointes and such, it wasn't as cheap as i had thought. maybe home depot was more $$ but liked the idea of them cutting the threading it to my size
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1344 posts
475 upvotes
Ontario
Rustydesigns allows you to buy lengths by the inch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
denti72 wrote: some home depots has a die that will thread it so you can get it cut to size/ threaded there.

I did a similar project with pipes and after the pipes, jointes and such, it wasn't as cheap as i had thought. maybe home depot was more $$ but liked the idea of them cutting the threading it to my size
How long ago and where was this? Most Home Depot’s if not all in the GTA don’t thread pipe anymore
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Jul 20, 2012
685 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
You can rent a threader from Home Depot. That would be the best. They sell lengths of pipe as well. They should stock most of the fittings.
Apr 8, 2010
779 posts
430 upvotes
toronto
Red_Army wrote: How long ago and where was this? Most Home Depot’s if not all in the GTA don’t thread pipe anymore
wasn't too long ago, maybe an year or so? It was at the home depot by sherway
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
221 upvotes
Lowes usually does free cutting and threading of black iron pipes so you can save some money over Home Depot.