• Jun 25th, 2018 8:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 21, 2017
96 posts
32 upvotes
L3h2w8

Where can I learn hobbyist welding?

I want to learn how to weld in order to make my own bbq grills/smokers. Is there a place in the GTA/North York/Vaughan that has classes. I'm not looking to get full certification or anything.
7 replies
Mar 1, 2016
356 posts
295 upvotes
Look at your nearby colleges to see which ones have trade schools. Some of these offer continuing education classes on evenings and weekends. I've done several in Ottawa at Algonquin College (small engine repair, etc.) and I recall they offer welding as well. Classes are 3hrs a week for 10-12 weeks and cost me around $300-$400.
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
215 upvotes
ledhendrix wrote: I want to learn how to weld in order to make my own bbq grills/smokers. Is there a place in the GTA/North York/Vaughan that has classes. I'm not looking to get full certification or anything.
Try youtube.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
ledhendrix wrote: I want to learn how to weld in order to make my own bbq grills/smokers. Is there a place in the GTA/North York/Vaughan that has classes. I'm not looking to get full certification or anything.
If you are not going to do any structural welding or trailers etc, just buy a quality 240V mig welder. If you can run a bead of silicone, you can mig weld, its really that easy.
I started welding when I was 17 and worked in factories for 7 years before I decided to change careers. Do your health a favor and buy a high quality 3M respirator and welding filters.
Don't buy a 120V mig welder. Buy a 240V model and get an argon gas bottle to get that smooth weld you will be looking for. Also if you are going to mig stainless steel, you will need to buy stainless steel wire.
Welding ease of use by type:
Mig = easiest (240V machine will weld 3/8" steel no problem)
Stick = small learning curve (strongest welds)
Tig = hardest to learn (best looking welds)

You can accomplish what you are wanting to do with a 120V mig but if you really get into welding, I can guarantee that you will want to use it for other things. 240V is the way to go.
Dont forget the respirator!
Jan 15, 2018
187 posts
173 upvotes
You can also look into oxy/acetylene welding. I bought myself a torch and two tanks and by looking at YouTube tutorials and practicing on scrap pieces I can do some pretty decent welds now. It's also one of the most economical set ups, I got mine for $200 cash from Kijiji.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18929 posts
6120 upvotes
London
I think Toronto district school board used to have a continuing ed night course called something like “art metal working” where they teach welding to make things like plant stands, etc
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7264 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
I know a guy that's moving who is giving up his 220v miller stick. Older machine but runs well, might be a good fit for your needs.

Agree if you get mig it needs to be 220, not as easy to set up in your garage but building good sized bbq's and frames isn't going to be lightweight work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)