Where can I use Bell visa gift card?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2021 4:19 pm
[OP]
Jan 25, 2019
169 posts
143 upvotes

Where can I use Bell visa gift card?

I received a $50 Bell visa gift card after switching over to their services. Card is loaded and activated but I'm unable to use it at Walmart or on Amazon.

Anyone know how or where this can be used?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20501 posts
5032 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Was the Walmart attempt an online purchase? You might have to register it online with a postal code or something, otherwise online purchases will fail.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Jan 25, 2019
169 posts
143 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Was the Walmart attempt an online purchase? You might have to register it online with a postal code or something, otherwise online purchases will fail.
It was in-store at Walmart. Amazon purchase failed too.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23881 posts
19705 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Kiraly wrote: Try paying your cell phone bill with it.
Or use it at The Source (which Bhell owns.)

If for some reason they won't accept their explanation should at least provide some free entertainment.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
5948 posts
3316 upvotes
desiredusername1989 wrote: I received a $50 Bell visa gift card after switching over to their services. Card is loaded and activated but I'm unable to use it at Walmart or on Amazon.

What kind of error did you get (i.e. declined due to insufficient fund)? If you look at the back of the card, does it say it is issued by Peoples Trust? If it is, then it is most likely a Vanilla prepaid card. Then you should be able to check the balance on the card online.
Are you trying to buy something more than the value on your card(I.e. $50)? If you are, then you have to tell the cashier, you only have $50 on the card so she has to enter $50 first to use your card, then pay the rest on a different payment method(I.e. credit card, debit or cash).
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3502 posts
3146 upvotes
Toronto
desiredusername1989 wrote: It was in-store at Walmart. Amazon purchase failed too.
Load the $50 into your amazon account by buying a gift card use your visa to pay for that transaction.

If you have a car prepay for your gas with an attendant.

Keep in mind these cards have a maintenance fee if you got it a while ago you might have less than the $50 you think which could be leading to the declines.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2019
169 posts
143 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: What kind of error did you get (i.e. declined due to insufficient fund)? If you look at the back of the card, does it say it is issued by Peoples Trust? If it is, then it is most likely a Vanilla prepaid card. Then you should be able to check the balance on the card online.
Are you trying to buy something more than the value on your card(I.e. $50)? If you are, then you have to tell the cashier, you only have $50 on the card so she has to enter $50 first to use your card, then pay the rest on a different payment method(I.e. credit card, debit or cash).
I've only tried using the card for purchases less than $50 and still declined due to insufficient funds even though account login shows full balance remains. Card is issued by Home Trust.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2019
169 posts
143 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Load the $50 into your amazon account by buying a gift card use your visa to pay for that transaction.

If you have a car prepay for your gas with an attendant.

Keep in mind these cards have a maintenance fee if you got it a while ago you might have less than the $50 you think which could be leading to the declines.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
May 17, 2020
43 posts
8 upvotes
I tried buying an Amazon gift card for my account but kept receiving the same error I received in many stores (no frills, shoppers etc) - declined. The card is registered 100%. Not sure where I can use it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6598 posts
2784 upvotes
Toronto
desiredusername1989 wrote: I received a $50 Bell visa gift card after switching over to their services. Card is loaded and activated but I'm unable to use it at Walmart or on Amazon.

Have you thought about contacting Bell and asking why their card doesn't work??
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12560 posts
15934 upvotes
Vancouver
KATAMAPAH wrote: I tried buying an Amazon gift card for my account but kept receiving the same error I received in many stores (no frills, shoppers etc) - declined. The card is registered 100%. Not sure where I can use it.
Did you try paying your cell phone bill with it? OP never said how that went.
May 17, 2020
43 posts
8 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Did you try paying your cell phone bill with it? OP never said how that went.
I have my wife's and my bills combined which is greater than the gift card balance ($50 CAD). It won't work 100%
[OP]
Jan 25, 2019
169 posts
143 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Did you try paying your cell phone bill with it? OP never said how that went.
Called customer service after numerous failed attempts and turned out that my card was actually blocked. Haven't used it yet since. Will post an update once I use it successfully.
Dec 11, 2006
14 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I tried to use my Bell issued VISA gift card and received a "usage limited" error on the POS Pin pad. :(
Nov 7, 2013
60 posts
11 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Has anyone had success in using their Bell prepaid Visa card yet? I have a $250 one arriving within a month or so. My first instinct is to immediately login to MyBell and make a payment and if there are any issues they will hear from me. Lol
Sep 9, 2007
229 posts
199 upvotes
Burlington
I got one from Virgin( same company) for $150.
The first card did not worked, got a new one now and activated it .
It is working now.
Call them and tell the card is not working.
It is normal for Bell gift cards, to have an issue.
Jun 13, 2009
919 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
I think only certain prepaid credit cards work with online transactions. From what I recall, the ones that work, require that you register your name/address/etc. It sounds like this one does not, so you will likely only be able to use it in store/in person. Use it to buy gas/groceries.