[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
8182 posts
47170 upvotes
Ontario

Where can we buy face masks?

Edit: June 2nd 2020
Costco just reduced their price on face masks.

Was $39.99
Now $28.99

3 ply face mask and it’s thicker than the T&T’s mask

Where can I buy the cheapest n95 masks?

someone in the US already got the disease. 2 hours drive from Vancouver
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Jun 3rd, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1144 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4364 posts
5104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: Those are for dust. Great for carpentry work. They aren't effective against viruses.
You know better than the CDC?

https://www.cdc.gov/sars/clinical/respirators.html

Accordingly, CDC has recommended the use of N95 respirators, consistent with respiratory protection for airborne diseases, such as tuberculosis.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8115 posts
8994 upvotes
Vancouver
er34er34 wrote: You know better than the CDC?

https://www.cdc.gov/sars/clinical/respirators.html

Accordingly, CDC has recommended the use of N95 respirators, consistent with respiratory protection for airborne diseases, such as tuberculosis.
I know better than you. Tuberculosis is a bacterium. 3M (manufacturer) says that the N95 respirator "is designed for particles produced by applications such as grinding, sanding, sweeping, sawing, bagging, or other dusty operations. " While it "can also help reduce inhalation exposures to certain airborne biological particles (examples: mold, Bacillus anthraces, Mycobacterium tuberculosis)", none of those are viruses. No manufacturer nor the CDC makes any claim of efficacy of the N95 respirator against viruses.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4364 posts
5104 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: I know better than you. Tuberculosis is a bacterium. 3M (manufacturer) says that the N95 respirator "is designed for particles produced by applications such as grinding, sanding, sweeping, sawing, bagging, or other dusty operations. " While it "can also help reduce inhalation exposures to certain airborne biological particles (examples: mold, Bacillus anthraces, Mycobacterium tuberculosis)", none of those are viruses. No manufacturer nor the CDC makes any claim of efficacy of the N95 respirator against viruses.
Well, you think you know everything, but apparently you can't read.

It is true that viruses are smaller than the filtration capabilities of N95, but what you are missing is that the virus particle isn't necessarily just floating around by itself. More often than not, its carried within droplets produced by your fellow humans. In that case, the droplet could very well be captured by the N95. It's certainly better than no protection at all.

The article I linked was very clear that the N95 is recommended to prevent transmission of SARS, and better yet a full face eye/face shield, which nobody except healthcare workers are going to wear.

Do I trust a random RFD stranger who can't read or the CDC... tough decision...
Jan 11, 2020
109 posts
93 upvotes
I did research at a GTA hospital during the time as SARS as a student. In our training they said N-95 were sufficient for SARS. I've seen infectious disease staff wear them.
Getting these masks might be a bit overboard, it doesn't look like human-to-human transmission is that strong. Seems to suggest that transmission is via droplets at worse (similar to SARS). Even if it is, the mortality rate isn't really that high (so far). This of course, assumes China is telling the truth about any of this. Generally, the worst cases will be in Asia, viruses generally don't like to kill their host because it prevents their spread (dead person can no longer spread). The most virulent forms die out earlier on.
Get it if you feel comfortable but I wouldn't worry about it. My epidemiologist buddies aren't worried about it. After SARS, our hospitals are better equipped to handle this.

Of course this is RFD, so yeah...make of it what you will. I can totally be incorrect here.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9497 posts
5194 upvotes
N95 masks will do. If any of you / your friends have been protesting over the past 7 months or so, you / your friends would likely have some stock lying around.

Home Depot, N95, P100...etc. (e.g. https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=p100#!q=p100)

P95: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/3m-spr ... 1000501314

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/re ... rence.html

(I already have some N95 masks ... in case of earthquakes)
Jan 11, 2020
109 posts
93 upvotes
chatbox wrote: N95 masks will do. If any of you / your friends have been protesting over the past 7 months or so, you / your friends would likely have some stock lying around.

Home Depot, N95, P100...etc. (e.g. https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=p100#!q=p100)

P95: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/3m-spr ... 1000501314

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/re ... rence.html

(I already have some N95 masks ... in case of earthquakes)
Ohhh Hong Kong, they come prepared. Not like kids here...

Personally, I'd love it if masks were normalized. I just recently got sick because of people coughing on me in the TTC - this is how I always get sick. Surgical masks give people a false sense of security (only N-95 effective for droplet based RTIs), but at least it'll prevent their germs from spreading outward.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7714 posts
1584 upvotes
Their expert and investigator of the outbreak that said the coronavirus was under control just 10 days ago has been diagnosed with the virus himself, so...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/chinese-d ... -outbreak/
ADenariusSaved wrote: I did research at a GTA hospital during the time as SARS as a student. In our training they said N-95 were sufficient for SARS. I've seen infectious disease staff wear them.
Getting these masks might be a bit overboard, it doesn't look like human-to-human transmission is that strong. Seems to suggest that transmission is via droplets at worse (similar to SARS). Even if it is, the mortality rate isn't really that high (so far). This of course, assumes China is telling the truth about any of this. Generally, the worst cases will be in Asia, viruses generally don't like to kill their host because it prevents their spread (dead person can no longer spread). The most virulent forms die out earlier on.
Get it if you feel comfortable but I wouldn't worry about it. My epidemiologist buddies aren't worried about it. After SARS, our hospitals are better equipped to handle this.

Of course this is RFD, so yeah...make of it what you will. I can totally be incorrect here.
Last edited by hdom on Jan 22nd, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Jan 11, 2020
109 posts
93 upvotes
hdom wrote: Their expert and investigator of the outbreak that said the coronvirus was under control just 10 days ago has been diagnosed with the virus himself, so...

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/chinese-d ... -outbreak/
Ohhh China...at least this one isn't as lethal as SARS. The head ebola doc in Liberia? in 2014 caught the disease and sadly died. That virus has a 90%+ kill rate if untreated. I don't even think this new one is 10%, maybe not even 5% but we'll see given more time.
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
643 upvotes
Only people wear masks in Canada, I see on the street, are mainland china new immigrants and mainland china foreign visa students.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6217 posts
1133 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I know better than you. Tuberculosis is a bacterium. 3M (manufacturer) says that the N95 respirator "is designed for particles produced by applications such as grinding, sanding, sweeping, sawing, bagging, or other dusty operations. " While it "can also help reduce inhalation exposures to certain airborne biological particles (examples: mold, Bacillus anthraces, Mycobacterium tuberculosis)", none of those are viruses. No manufacturer nor the CDC makes any claim of efficacy of the N95 respirator against viruses.
It’s not like there is just one type of N95 mask. N95 masks are recommended for protection against agents that spread via the airborne route. Its not about the type of pathogen but the mode of transmission. Surgical masks protect against agents that spread via the droplet route. N95 masks ARE used globally for additional precautions when dealing with an agent that spreads via the airborne route.

If anyone is going to be buying N95 masks, you’d have to make sure that you get mask fit tested. There are several types of N95 masks and unless it’s a good fit, it’s useless.

Most people won’t even use an N95 masks properly; improper fit and misuse render them useless. Masks can only be used ONCE. So as soon as it comes off, you’ll need to don a new one next time. Also, if people don’t use proper hand hygiene along with masks, that’s also a problem.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4368 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
True, but you really don't want to be in that 5%...lol
ADenariusSaved wrote: Ohhh China...at least this one isn't as lethal as SARS. The head ebola doc in Liberia? in 2014 caught the disease and sadly died. That virus has a 90%+ kill rate if untreated. I don't even think this new one is 10%, maybe not even 5% but we'll see given more time.
Board games!!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4368 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, but people from China and HK typically come from crowded cities where it's easy to transmit germs. That's why they don't have an issue wearing them here. I grew up here and when SARS first happened it looked awkward to see people with face masks on the subway...felt like it must be them who are sick. But we have to look past that now and understand as a society that wearing face masks do stop the spread of germs overall...like the other poster said, sometimes just sitting in a subway car can get you sick from all the germs flying around.
Sgtalpowell wrote: Only people wear masks in Canada, I see on the street, are mainland china new immigrants and mainland china foreign visa students.
Board games!!!!
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
643 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Yes, but people from China and HK typically come from crowded cities where it's easy to transmit germs. That's why they don't have an issue wearing them here. I grew up here and when SARS first happened it looked awkward to see people with face masks on the subway...felt like it must be them who are sick. But we have to look past that now and understand as a society that wearing face masks do stop the spread of germs overall...like the other poster said, sometimes just sitting in a subway car can get you sick from all the germs flying around.
Still, this is North America. Local people don't wear masks.

Japanese people have worn masks LONG BEFORE china and hong kong began to wear masks after the year 2000.