• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2020 4:51 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
634 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga

Where can we buy hand sanitizer now?

Seems like it’s sold out everywhere. Checked shoppers Walmart.

Should we make our own? How effective is that? Apparently it’s just 99% rubbing alcohol mixed with aloe Vera gel and some drops of an essential oil for the scent.
176 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14134 posts
14737 upvotes
Oakville
Just put rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray down your hands. Then put some moisturizer on if you need it.
Dec 15, 2013
977 posts
358 upvotes
North of Toronto
Just wash your hands with soap.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3207 posts
1844 upvotes
Vancouver
Dollar store has spray on alcohol.

$1.25 for 70% 100mL.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6105 posts
1776 upvotes
BC
Was just in Home Hardware here and they have plenty for impulse buyers according to the sign at the checkout.

And supermarkets are continuing to refill their complimentary hand wipes dispensers at the entrance.
Always a good idea to wipe down the handle of your cart or basket, pandemic or not.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
71 upvotes
I have 40 percent hydrogen peroxide. Is that strong enough? It bleaches hair so might be too strong.
Adding Aloe vera might dilute alcohol.
Last edited by Carcross on Mar 11th, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2012
634 posts
264 upvotes
Mississauga
GhostBusters wrote: Just wash your hands with soap.

Yeah that’s a great option. Thank god we have sinks equipped with soap by every public door in the city and pretty much everywhere you would have public contact.

Especially at gas stations. I love the fact that you can just wash your hands in the sink by the gas pump as soon as you finish filling up.
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
71 upvotes
kesleaf wrote: Yeah that’s a great option. Thank god we have sinks equipped with soap by every public door in the city and pretty much everywhere you would have public contact.

Especially at gas stations. I love the fact that you can just wash your hands in the sink by the gas pump as soon as you finish filling up.
Do you mean the windshield cleaner fluid? That's what I use but it is cold water. And if others do the same????
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3207 posts
1844 upvotes
Vancouver
Carcross wrote: Do you mean the windshield cleaner fluid? That's what I use but it is cold water. And if others do the same????
Not only is methanol in washer fluid ineffective as an antiseptic, it's toxic because it is absorbed through the skin.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19706 posts
4912 upvotes
Off the 404
Canadian Tire has a bunch right by the entrance, I assume all stores are stocking it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
7022 posts
2646 upvotes
Markham
Lesson learned: follow the sheep next time.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15072 posts
4354 upvotes
London
Spinner wrote: Not only is methanol in washer fluid ineffective as an antiseptic, it's toxic because it is absorbed through the skin.
+1
Just to repeat,

Do not use methanol , methyl hydrate, windshield washer fluid, etc as a hand sanitizer or even as a regular sanitizer.

It’s toxic and you can absorb thru your skin. Spraying it onto surfaces can result in vapour concentration in excess occupation health and safety limits

And on top of all that, it doesn’t even sanitize very well when compared to IPA