Food & Drink

Where’s the best place to order a Bubble Tea home making kit from?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 9:26 am
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes

Where’s the best place to order a Bubble Tea home making kit from?

I’m sick of paying almost $5 an order, is there any online place to order a Bubble Tea making kit that includes different flavours, the tea, balls or whatever else you would place inside? These powders have to be cheap online, it’s just sugar right?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
Bump for anyone else that may have already researched and done this.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you might want to get a vendor's permit so you can shop where bubble tea places shop for the ingredients at the lowest possible price.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
It’s just for my family so I don’t need that much :)

I just need the experience from others on what to buy , where to buy, but I’m seeing high cost on powders where it is still coming to $3/cup which is crazy if I’m buying powder would should be cheaper considering what it is.
Dec 28, 2008
139 posts
160 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: It’s just for my family so I don’t need that much :)

I just need the experience from others on what to buy , where to buy, but I’m seeing high cost on powders where it is still coming to $3/cup which is crazy if I’m buying powder would should be cheaper considering what it is.
You don't need powders, the best bubble teas use fresh fruit, anyway. So, you can just by any old frozen fruit. The pearls are the one specialty item. I buy mine at T&T.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
Why do you need a kit?

Black tea
Large tapioca pearls from T&T
Condensed milk
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
SMurrayNB wrote: You don't need powders, the best bubble teas use fresh fruit, anyway. So, you can just by any old frozen fruit. The pearls are the one specialty item. I buy mine at T&T.
The thing is that I want to replicate the crap I get from the Bubble tea stores, it’s not about doing it more healthy.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: Why do you need a kit?

Black tea
Large tapioca pearls from T&T
Condensed milk
The thing is I don’t know what I need or how to prepare it, like any cheap black tea, or does it have to be loose leaves or an Asian kind? What’s the ratio of Milk to tea, how much flavouring powder (once I figure out where to buy powder), ice, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Tapioca balls are played out.
Its all about that grass jelly! My girl bought a milk tea with grass jelly the other day.
It made me jelly!
I like those exploding ones lol, I know it’s so ridiculous and junk but maybe if I make it at home I can tire the kids out and they can stop asking me to buy the $5 ones :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Rockstead wrote: The thing is that I want to replicate the crap I get from the Bubble tea stores, it’s not about doing it more healthy.
Exactly, but to do that, you might have to find a friend willing to do the same thing. That way, you can buy the same bulk sizes that those places use and share.
As I mentioned, a vendor's permit does help, but you are also correct that the sizes are too large.

Smaller businesses also do not want bulk sizes. Check with places where bubble tea is still good, but not their bread and butter.
Inside Eglinton subway station there is Bubble tea for sale in a very tiny convenience store with very little space for storage...surely they might be able to help you?
Ask them where they buy their supplies for bubble tea...
Last edited by playnicee1 on Oct 24th, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3771 posts
475 upvotes
SMurrayNB wrote: You don't need powders, the best bubble teas use fresh fruit, anyway. So, you can just by any old frozen fruit. The pearls are the one specialty item. I buy mine at T&T.
Does it take long to prepare them or do they already come in a liquid and you just put them in your bubble tea or is there a prepping process?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
You've gotta experiment with the strength of the tea and the amount of condensed milk.

Tapioca pearls usually come in dried form. You simmer them in some water, and let them cool. You may have to repeat the cooking and cooling one or more times to get them cooked through all the way.
Dec 28, 2008
139 posts
160 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: Does it take long to prepare them or do they already come in a liquid and you just put them in your bubble tea or is there a prepping process?
They need to be prepared on the spot. Generally, boil and steep for about 30 minutes. Then, they are only good to use for about 45 minutes and then they go hard. There are some good instructions here: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-b ... -tea-98067
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4549 posts
2623 upvotes
Date or befriend someone that works at a bubble tea shop for all their secrets.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
Rockstead wrote: The thing is that I want to replicate the crap I get from the Bubble tea stores, it’s not about doing it more healthy.
oh. They now like to blend fruits and make them kind of fancy actually!!!

Here is a trick... Get just whatever bottled/box/canned fruit juices from your local Asian grocery store.
All you have to do is add tapioca... lol

Sometimes at home I'll add grass jelly to the Kirin Milk Tea jugs. But the kirin milk tea is delicious... and is $3.99 for a big bottle when its on sale.. usually $5-$6. so it is somewhat pricy. But for sure beats the $5 cups outside.

https://www.londondrugs.com/kirin-milk- ... 40577.html

oh hey they have it at london drugs.... man these places really are getting into all the different international products.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3427 posts
196 upvotes
If OP is in the Toronto area, there is a bubble tea supply store at Finch and Kennedy. The will sell you small quantities. They will have everything you need for the bbteas, powders, tapioca, straws, jelly, cups and lids.

Last time I went, bags of powder was $10, tapioca $15.. etc but it should be a few more dollars now.

2774 Kennedy Rd,
Scarborough
The RFD Doctrine
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2006
3833 posts
69 upvotes
Blunt wrote: If OP is in the Toronto area, there is a bubble tea supply store at Finch and Kennedy. The will sell you small quantities. They will have everything you need for the bbteas, powders, tapioca, straws, jelly, cups and lids.

Last time I went, bags of powder was $10, tapioca $15.. etc but it should be a few more dollars now.

2774 Kennedy Rd,
Scarborough
2019 bump.

Does this place sell the flavoured powder mix in huge tubs? (that you would find behind the counter of any BBT shop)
You're not funny.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)