• Sep 12th, 2021 8:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1250 posts
300 upvotes

Where Did Data Go?

Yesterday at 8:45am I received an email from Telus that I was over my 5gb of data and was now blocked with a $39 overage charge. My wife, who uses the iPhone 6s, received all 3 data management texts at the same time at 8:30 while in the grocery store. Telus usage records show 3gb at 7am. However, she was on WiFi at home while asleep, plus the phone is full—63.3gb used of 64 (waiting a week for 256gb XS to arrive from Koodo). There is no room for downloads or iOS upgrades. All that stuff including WiFi assist is off anyway. Telus reversed charges because we’ve never used more than 3gb of data a month in 10 years. Cellular usage records on phone show Facebook at top of list with 9gb since 2014. It would take 6 hrs to stream that much data so she should have received incremental notifications before 8:30. Any ideas where data went?
5 replies
Jan 25, 2009
862 posts
704 upvotes
Maybe iCloud backup while charging especially photos / videos?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22020 posts
8452 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Does it have data accounting in the settings like Android does which would state what apps used data and on what day?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1250 posts
300 upvotes
Talked to Apple and nothing was backed up to iCloud. In settings nothing appears out of order but I haven’t reset statistics in a long time. Telus tech thinks it was malware but I don’t see evidence of that other than the unusualness of the incident. I’ve updated the iOS, reset statistics, and checked all settings. Telus data cycle reset Friday and so far nothing strange.

What ticks me off most is that she received the data warnings all at once, including the overage charge.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22020 posts
8452 upvotes
Socially Distanced
So probably a bug on Telus' end.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1379 posts
1375 upvotes
Markham, ON
Go to Settings.> Cellular and scroll down.
It will tell you which apps used mobile data, and the amount.
If it's 63GB, it'll be at the top.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.