• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 4:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11918 posts
4687 upvotes

Where did the diet soft drinks go?

I have noticed that many diet soda flavors have suddenly disappeared in Ontario. I have visited a dozen stores looking. Many are #pepsicanada product.

Diet A&W
Diet Mountain Dew
Diet Cherry Pepsi
Diet Mug Root Beer
Diet Orange Crush
Diet Coke w Lime
Diet Dr. Pepper

Anyone know what's happened? Even through the worst of Covid-19 I was able to find all of these.
48 replies
Sep 20, 2015
43 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I love diet Dr. Pepper.

Why the heck did they stop selling in bottles also? If it's a can shortage, sell 710ml or 2L bottles.

#pepsicanadasucks
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Fresca is my favourite right now. Mmmmm grapefruit.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4877 posts
1336 upvotes
Regina
where do broken hearts go - whitney houston
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote: Fresca is my favourite right now. Mmmmm grapefruit.
How do you feel about Fresca adding new flavours, as well as rebranding to presumably compete with San Pelligrino?

Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
trane0 wrote: How do you feel about Fresca adding new flavours, as well as rebranding to presumably compete with San Pelligrino?

As long as they keep the original fresca I don't care what the can looks like. Those cans look like unsweetened flavoured tonic water ewww gross
Please respond
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1085 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto
Why was that stevia coca cola disontinued. Isn't that better than artificial sweetners?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5486 posts
3889 upvotes
LaLaLand
Thorkell wrote: Why was that stevia coca cola disontinued. Isn't that better than artificial sweetners?
Probably yes. There is a brand of sodas, Zevia that I like.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19338 posts
6317 upvotes
Toronto
Thorkell wrote: Why was that stevia coca cola disontinued. Isn't that better than artificial sweetners?
I think they went with 500 ml only for now. OR it may be old unsold (expired) bottles I recently saw.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
Wendy's drink machines have very good selection of flavoured diet softdrinks. I think they mix it in place from basic versions. Perhaps we could do the same ;)

And here is the answer to your question: https://www.eatthis.com/beverages-vanis ... this-year/

I love Coke Zero, add few drops of vanilla extract and voila, vanilla coke zero.
Oct 16, 2020
2 posts
Yeah, as someone that drinks a lot of soda, this has been a pain. The Aluminum can shortage is the main culprit, but the artificial sweetener shortage probably helped them decide which products to cut. Basically, almost all caffeine free diet sodas are gone from cans, and the other popular stuff that disappeared isn't completely gone but it comes & goes in waves (like the Stevia Coke). As a result, the 2L bottles (that are available) are being scooped up quickly. On top of that, a weird side effect is that Crystal Light single packets are scarce as well as people look for alternatives. I can live without Cherry Zero for a while, but finding caffeine free diet stuff has been tough... ALTHOUGH... 7up Zero showed up in cans for a while, so that's a thing.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
223 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
kool1 wrote: I have noticed that many diet soda flavors have suddenly disappeared in Ontario. I have visited a dozen stores looking. Many are #pepsicanada product.

Diet A&W
Diet Mountain Dew
Diet Cherry Pepsi
Diet Mug Root Beer
Diet Orange Crush
Diet Coke w Lime
Diet Dr. Pepper

Anyone know what's happened? Even through the worst of Covid-19 I was able to find all of these.
I would kill for my cranberry gingerale haven't been available since May, stupid Covid...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11918 posts
4687 upvotes
trane0 wrote: How do you feel about Fresca adding new flavours, as well as rebranding to presumably compete with San Pelligrino?

Aren't these just flavored waters?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11918 posts
4687 upvotes
BrianH40560 wrote: 7up Zero showed up in cans for a while, so that's a thing.
Definitely stock up if you see anything.

I found 2L Diet Dr. Pepper at Walmart. Grabbed 3 bottles.. Went back in the afternoon to get more and all gone. Never saw again.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Aren't these just flavored waters?
Fresca is a zero calorie soda, aka a diet soft drink.

San Pellegrino makes flavoured carbonated waters (e.g. no sugar/sweetener) but they also make flavoured soda:

Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19338 posts
6317 upvotes
Toronto
trane0 wrote: San Pellegrino makes flavoured carbonated waters (e.g. no sugar/sweetener) but they also make flavoured soda:
People ask me why I waste a dollar a can @ Dollarama when I can get a 6 pack for $3.99-$4.99 easily at the grocery store.
I tell them it's because I like picking and choosing 6 different cans freely (depending on variety) since they do not sell a "variety pack" with 2+2+2 = one 6 pack.
(Two of each kind)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1988 posts
679 upvotes
I don't think it was discontinued. I found some last week (12-pack cans) at several stores that had not had any for months. I believe they have limited the production runs for it so that their production lines can make the more popular, better-selling drinks. You just have to be lucky enough to visit a store when they receive the Coca-Cola Stevia because it goes very fast!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1085 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto
blakjak wrote: I don't think it was discontinued. I found some last week (12-pack cans) at several stores that had not had any for months. I believe they have limited the production runs for it so that their production lines can make the more popular, better-selling drinks. You just have to be lucky enough to visit a store when they receive the Coca-Cola Stevia because it goes very fast!
DANG, where?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)