Shopping Discussion

Where do we go to report suspicious RETAILER debit /credit card activity?

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6404 posts
326 upvotes
GT'eh

Where do we go to report suspicious RETAILER debit /credit card activity?

As the title states, who do you report suspected debit /credit card retail activity? While most people think they know some have no clue and I wanted to create this post this to see anyone else thoughts and if anyone else has experienced this?

Also if there are threads on here on this, please feel free to list them.

If you have have strong reason to believe a store or employee of a retail store is engaging in suspicious activity? Also once you experience or witness this, what steps do you take afterwards,

Here is what happened recently:
Earlier this week , a one of my associates was shopping in a retail store (I won't reveal the name just yet) in one of the more popular and larger malls in GTA. After purchasing the items with her debit card, she realized the cashier neglected to return her debit card. She politely asks for it back and the cashier refuses and tells her to check her purse and pockets. She proceeded to check here purse as her pants did not have pockets. She kindly asked again, and at that point the cashier refused to even look, and says "no I gave it back" and made no effort to look for it or even that she may have forgot to give it back.

My associate has a strong reason to belive the lady kept the card for purposes of skimming. She became infuriated and left the store and immediately calls her bank to cancel her debit card, she also reported this activity to her bank. What did she do wrong here?

While it may appear to be an easy question, the most obvious answers are not always the best.

She tried contacting the police in her city, but they left her with an uneasy feeling along the lines that won't investigate unless there was a crime comitted. Also since the employee and store can deny any wrong doing.

Who should she have contacted to report this?
- mall security?
- bank?
- Interac?
- BBB?
- authorities?
- retailers head office?

Questions:
- How would you have reacted?
- Is there a governing agency or body that looks into possible suspicious activity of retailers?
- How many acts have to occur at one particular store before its worth of being investigated?
- Can this store get fined, or lose its card priviledges, or be shut down?
- As a customer/ consumer what rights do we have?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Ne0's Bio: ??? not 4 Sale
??? G@mer & t3<hy [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 90's
??? Member of IPTV +Spotify +CarWash groupbuys ???
??? Feedback: ??? eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
22 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2015 upvotes
Nowhere
First of all, your associate should have checked her purse and pockets as this happens all the time. I have done this with my credit card. Also why would your associate hand over her debit card? After searching if she couldn't find her card, then she should have spoken to the store manager. She should not have left the store. Most cashiers have standard practices for handling cards so there were be no need to look. They don't tend to put them away. In most cases, the register doesn't even open with a cc/debit purchase. Why does everyone here think that everything is a conspiracy?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1946 posts
351 upvotes
Markham
cheap cat wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 11:55 am
after searching if she couldn't find her card, then she should have spoken to the store manager.
+1

Sorry, but if she had a strong suspicion or knew for a fact that a clerk took her card - your friend's an idiot for leaving.

a) Should have checked her person as well as bag carefully (sometimes clerks kind of 'wrap' the card in the receipt and some folks just throw the receipt in the bag)

b) If she absolutely didn't find it on her person, she should have asked for the supervisor/manager and not leave until the card was found.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Yeah, do you mean debit or credit card? Standard procedure for every store I've been to has been the customer swipes their own card for debit, the cashier is never supposed to handle a customer's debit card.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
First of all, your associate should have checked her purse and pockets as this happens all the time. I have done this with my credit card. Also why would your associate hand over her debit card? After searching if she couldn't find her card, then she should have spoken to the store manager. She should not have left the store. Most cashiers have standard practices for handling cards so there were be no need to look. They don't tend to put them away. In most cases, the register doesn't even open with a cc/debit purchase. Why does everyone here think that everything is a conspiracy?
+1. This story is full of holes.

First issue is most stores these days have you swipe your own debit card so I'm not sure why your friend even handed them their debit card.

Second issue is that if the store was in a large mall, I highly doubt they have skimming machines at the store, especially if it were at a large retail chain.

Third issue is why is all the blame on the store? Is your friend 100% positive the store still had their card? And was contacting the police really necessary? I think your friend was over-reacting; not everyone in society is out to get the other. You can't just automacially assume that because you are missing your debit card, that it MUST be because the store is keeping the card for themself to skim, copy, etc. to use later.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6404 posts
326 upvotes
GT'eh
Cheap Cat wrote:

y2jversion1 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 11:59 am
+1

Sorry, but if she had a strong suspicion or knew for a fact that a clerk took her card - your friend's an idiot for leaving.

a) Should have checked her person as well as bag carefully (sometimes clerks kind of 'wrap' the card in the receipt and some folks just throw the receipt in the bag)

b) If she absolutely didn't find it on her person, she should have asked for the supervisor/manager and not leave until the card was found.

- I can't comment on why she had to leave, it could have been for a number of reasons (transportation, child care, etc...). She chose to leave rather cancelled her card than srtay and argue with a store staff.
- As stated in the post she did check her purse twice before leaving the store as well as the bag she was given, stil no card found.
- Not all retail stores have a manager on duty at all times. Most assign staff keys to other the store to open and close so the (managers do not have to work unfavourable hours). Some smaller retail stores do not have a manager on duty during off peak hours, as was the case with this store there were only 2 people working, neither of whom was a manager.

Winkle wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 12:05 pm
Yeah, do you mean debit or credit card? Standard procedure for every store I've been to has been the customer swipes their own card for debit, the cashier is never supposed to handle a customer's debit card.

- I should be standard for the customer to swipe their own card in the terminal, but some stores still have dated registers and swipe the card for you. So it still happens, I see it everyday.

babydru wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 12:06 pm
+1. This story is full of holes.

First issue is most stores these days have you swipe your own debit card so I'm not sure why your friend even handed them their debit card.

Second issue is that if the store was in a large mall, I highly doubt they have skimming machines at the store, especially if it were at a large retail chain.
Third issue is why is all the blame on the store? Is your friend 100% positive the store still had their card? And was contacting the police really necessary? I think your friend was over-reacting; not everyone in society is out to get the other. You can't just automacially assume that because you are missing your debit card, that it MUST be because the store is keeping the card for themself to skim, copy, etc. to use later.

Thanks fo ryour contribution,

This is exactly what I was referring to, some claim to be expert yet, make comments like yours? yourself included:
While I am not claiming to be an expert, I've had the luxury of attending skimming presentations, I've worked with anti-fraud units and loss prevention and security depts. I've also had my card skimmed in the past:
FYI: skimming devices can be installed in large and small stores and large chain stores and stores in malls are not immune.

Why not blame the store and employee? if my friend checked thoroughly and doens't have her card, who else is to blame, Chuck Norris?

Its hard to say who has the card all she knows is she entered the store with her card, used it to buy something, enetered her PIN and paid for the items, upon leaving the store realized she did not have her debit card.

Since we don't know yet, lets say in fact the store employee did keep her card, what other reason can you list for the employee retaining her card, not attempting to assist in looking for it? other than the store or the employee is part of some ruthless card skimming organized crime ring?
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Neovingian wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 12:39 pm

- I can't comment on why she had to leave, it could have been for a number of reasons (transportation, child care, etc...). She chose to leave rather cancelled her card than srtay and argue with a store staff.
- As stated in the post she did check her purse twice before leaving the store as well as the bag she was given, stil no card found.
- Most stores do not have a manager on duty, as was the case with this store there were 2 people working.

- I should be standard for the customer to swipe their own card in the terminal, but some stores still have dated registers and swipe the card for you. So it still happens, I see it everyday.

Thanks fo ryour contribution,

This is exactly what I was referring to, some claim to be expert yet, make comments like yours? yourself included:
While I am not claiming to be an expert, I've had the luxury of attending skimming presentations, I've worked with anti-fraud units and loss prevention and security depts. I've also had my card skimmed in the past:
FYI: skimming devices can be installed in large and small stores and large chain stores and stores in malls are not immune.

Why not blame the store and employee? if my friend checked thoroughly and doens't have her card, who else is to blame, Chuck Norris?

Its hard to say who has the card all she knows is she entered the store with her card, used it to buy something, enetered her PIN and paid for the items, upon leaving the store realized she did not have her debit card.

Since we don't know yet, lets say in fact the store employee did keep her card, what other reason can you list for the employee retaining her card, not attempting to assist in looking for it? other than the store or the employee is part of some ruthless card skimming organized crime ring?
In no way am I claiming to be an expert. As far as I can see, your friend is claiming the store has the card, and the store is claiming your friend has the card. All I'm trying to say is why is it automatically an issue of skimming if your friend is missing their card? There could be so many other reasons why the card is missing, yet the first conclusion to be made is that it MUST have been a result of skimming.

As a side note, you shouldn't attack people who are trying to post constructive feedback.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
Neovingian wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 12:39 pm

OP, what you're seeing are credit card transactions because all debit card transactions are handled through an external cardswipe machine with a numpad on it for punching in your PIN to authorize the transaction. It's been this way since day one.

The first generation of debit machines were separate machines from the cash registers, the cashier had to enter the total amount to charge into the debit machine manually, same with credit cards. Newer cash registers have integrated credit/debit card support BUT it always includes a separate numpad-dongle with card swipe for debit.

I may be sounding picky but this is important, you never hand your debit card to the cashier and they are never supposed to take it. I've worked in fast food resturants before and this point is heavily stressed because debit cards are typically bank cards as well and the debit PIN is also usually the person's bank account PIN. In fact, if you go to your bank and use your card at the teller even the teller won't take your card, you have to swipe it yourself.

So if it really was debit then yes, something fishy is definitely going on because 1) your associate should have never handed her card over and 2) the cashier should've never taken it.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6404 posts
326 upvotes
GT'eh
babydru wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 12:48 pm
In no way am I claiming to be an expert. As far as I can see, your friend is claiming the store has the card, and the store is claiming your friend has the card. All I'm trying to say is why is it automatically an issue of skimming if your friend is missing their card? There could be so many other reasons why the card is missing, yet the first conclusion to be made is that it MUST have been a result of skimming.

As a side note, you shouldn't attack people who are trying to post constructive feedback.

By no means am I attacking, I am in a defensive stance as my friend was a victim here. How is one person calling my friend an idiot, and another alleging their are holes in her story, in anyway constructive feedback?

While there may be reasons to you to what happenend to the card. If in fact the store employee kept her card and acted in the manner she stated. Then yes one of my 1st conclusions would be she is part of a ruthless skimming group, what am I supposed to conclude?

I have no issue with constructive feedback when it is just that.
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Neovingian wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 1:55 pm

By no means am I attacking, I am in a defensive stance as my friend was a victim here. How is one person calling my friend an idiot, and another alleging their are holes in her story, in anyway constructive feedback?

While there may be reasons to you to what happenend to the card. If in fact the store employee kept her card and acted in the manner she stated. Then yes one of my 1st conclusions would be she is part of a ruthless skimming group, what am I supposed to conclude?

I have no issue with constructive feedback when it is just that.
So me saying that there are 'holes' in your story means I am attacking you, and not providing constructive feedback? I stated why I think there are holes; I have no idea why you would think of that as an attack. I never once insulted you or your friend.

I do in fact think there could be other reasons OTHER than skimming. Perhaps another customer paying for an item noticed your friend's card on the table and quickly grabbed with anybody looking? Perhaps your friend really did have their card and without realizing it, lost it somewhere outside the store? I really have no idea as to what happened. I'm just trying to make the point that you can't automatically assuming it was because of skimming.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2563 posts
136 upvotes
I don't feel like reading this useless drivel, but why don't you just post what store and which mall this was. who cares? people throw out illegitimate slander all the time on RFD, don't be polite about it now.

and why can't your friend be to blame for all of this? how did she lose sight of her card to begin with? did the employee use some secret Moneris machine that is secretly tucked away from the eyes of the customers. all Moneris machines are located right beside their respective cashier terminals.

also, go check the security cameras for said store, usually always have one pointing at the register anyway. if you've already gone ahead and contacted the police, asking to see security footage shouldn't be that big a deal to you or said friend of yours.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6404 posts
326 upvotes
GT'eh
babydru wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 2:08 pm
So me saying that there are 'holes' in your story means I am attacking you, and not providing constructive feedback? I stated why I think there are holes; I have no idea why you would think of that as an attack. I never once insulted you or your friend.

I do in fact think there could be other reasons OTHER than skimming. Perhaps another customer paying for an item noticed your friend's card on the table and quickly grabbed with anybody looking? Perhaps your friend really did have their card and without realizing it, lost it somewhere outside the store? I really have no idea as to what happened. I'm just trying to make the point that you can't automatically assuming it was because of skimming.

Point taken, only thing is there were no customers that were in the store with my friend. She was the only one udring the transaction. As of 24 hrs her card still has yet to turn up.

Insider wrote:
Jun 4th, 2010 3:56 pm
I don't feel like reading this useless drivel, but why don't you just post what store and which mall this was. who cares? people throw out illegitimate slander all the time on RFD, don't be polite about it now.

and why can't your friend be to blame for all of this? how did she lose sight of her card to begin with? did the employee use some secret Moneris machine that is secretly tucked away from the eyes of the customers. all Moneris machines are located right beside their respective cashier terminals.

also, go check the security cameras for said store, usually always have one pointing at the register anyway. if you've already gone ahead and contacted the police, asking to see security footage shouldn't be that big a deal to you or said friend of yours.

WOW insider, what an impressive wealth of knowledge you have.
- even if my friend may have lost sight of her card for a few seconds, or if that the store employee saw her card and kept it, does not make her the customer to blame. If the store employee saw it and had it she should have returned it or make an effort. She did neither.

So in the world you live in, the following apply:
- Its acceptible to throw out illegitimate slander because others do it on RFD
- ALL retail stores only use moneris terminals and no others. They also ALWAYS have a Moneris terminal next to their registers.
- Customers are ALWAYS the ones to blame for problems that occur in store and are never right.
- ALL retail stores have security cameras, and they ALWAYS have at least 1 pointed at the register.
- if ANYONE walks into a retail store, says they contacted the police the store will ALWAYS allow them to view security footage.

WOW Insider!...Thank you for your useful contribution.
you have such a wealth of knowledge you should run for office or better yet PM, or apply to take over the world.
Jul 5, 2009
456 posts
4 upvotes
The Police handle this kind of stuff. If you are so certain that there is fraudulent activity then report it to them.
Caveat emptor.
May 31, 2008
77 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
It could be possible that the person had her debit card stolen.

Here is what I would do.

1st cancel the card right away and inform your bank. They will know if anyone tried to use it.

Some stores have a loss prevention manager. Inform them when available. They will do an investigation. If the person is indeed stealing
cards they will get the police involved. If there is no LP talk to the store manager.

Here are some corections:

- At my bank they take my debit ATF and swipe it. I have never had to give my pin.

- There are machines that require the merchant to swipe the card. The TD ones come to my.

- The person most likely stole it when she was entering the pin.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2668 posts
583 upvotes
Ottawa
Just throwing this out there.

Cashiers generally do NOT swipe your debit card.

However, if you hold it out, as if offering to them, they will swipe it FOR you. They immediately hand you the card afterwards as you are entering the PIN.

Most likely, it was placed on the counter and it fell off as the bag was being handed over counter.