Food & Drink

Where do you buy your wings in the GTA?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2021 10:17 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Where do you buy your wings in the GTA?

Excluding Costco or membership places. I don't want to get a Costco membership.

Saw a Chinese market selling just the wing not the drum part, for $3.99 a lbs. It works out to be about 10-12 winglets (is that what they're called)? for about $5.

Found this thread and may explore those locations.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/cheap-fr ... to-1063398

also, I don't know about anyone else but I prefer the small to medium size wings. I have an aversion to big gargantuan wings.
21 replies
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2007
580 posts
699 upvotes
We talkin raw or cooked?

I usually wait for t&t to have it on sale for $1.99 for raw.

There is a threat here for www.poppagswings.ca for precooked but I have yet to try them.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17835 upvotes
Toronto
yeah! $3.99 per lb is a good price and the lowest I have seen recently was $3.49 per lb at Lawrence & Black Creek which I bought at. Otherwise, the typical Asian supermarket price is at $4.99 per lb as regular price and $3.99 per lb as weekly special.

C&C supermarket at Don Mills & Eglinton tends to have this price fairly often at $3.99 per lb.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
4685 posts
2835 upvotes
Anyone know where the cheapest places to get good soya chicken wings at BBQ takeouts? My price went up to $9.50/lb from $8/lb earlier this year at Wok & Roast BBQ located at Broadview and Gerrard. Their next door BBQ takeout competitor admitted to me, they don't even sell soya chicken wings themselves because wings are so damn expensive.

https://wokandroastbbq.ca
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2005
1600 posts
346 upvotes
North York
$1.99 - $2.99 in my local Asian supermarket.
$3.99 is expensive.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31266 posts
17835 upvotes
Toronto
Magoo wrote: $1.99 - $2.99 in my local Asian supermarket.
$3.99 is expensive.
for the whole wing ? (tip & drumette) .... I have never seen $1.99 - 2.99 med size for just the wingette (at least for the last 2-3 yrs)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
16716 posts
11451 upvotes
Markham
Mr_Fanta wrote: Anyone know where the cheapest places to get good soya chicken wings at BBQ takeouts? My price went up to $9.50/lb from $8/lb earlier this year at Wok & Roast BBQ located at Broadview and Gerrard. Their next door BBQ takeout competitor admitted to me, they don't even sell soya chicken wings themselves because wings are so damn expensive.

https://wokandroastbbq.ca
Soya chicken wings are incredibly easy to make....it's wings boiled/steeped in soya liquid. At that price and for what it is, highly recommend you make your own.
Use that money towards the BBQ items which are more labour and time intensive like Roast pork or the roast duck.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2005
1600 posts
346 upvotes
North York
My mistake, OP is referring to wingettes
It's $3.99 at my local Asian supermarket as well.

I prefer the wingettes so if it was $1.99 that's all I would be buying.
booblehead wrote: for the whole wing ? (tip & drumette) .... I have never seen $1.99 - 2.99 med size for just the wingette (at least for the last 2-3 yrs)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 16, 2010
6929 posts
4199 upvotes
Between Countries
booblehead wrote: for the whole wing ? (tip & drumette) .... I have never seen $1.99 - 2.99 med size for just the wingette (at least for the last 2-3 yrs)
T&T did have sales on whole wings (drum, wingette, tip) last year for $1.99. I haven't seen those prices this year though. I wouldn't buy wings for the "sale" price of $3.99/lb; I think that's an insane price for mostly skin and bones. So regular price for wings is now reaching into breast prices. Insane.
.
T&T.jpg
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
343 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
DiceMan wrote: T&T did have sales on whole wings (drum, wingette, tip) last year for $1.99. I haven't seen those prices this year though. I wouldn't buy wings for the "sale" price of $3.99/lb; I think that's an insane price for mostly skin and bones. So regular price for wings is now reaching into breast prices. Insane.
.
T&T.jpg
Yah. I've been cooking way more drums due to this lately.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5957 posts
1290 upvotes
Toronto
I like buying the PC Free From split wings at Loblaw stores. No, it's not the most economical buy. However like OP I prefer small-medium wings. Those PCFF just seem to have good flavour when I make them crispy.

For drummetes or flats, I like them equally. I thought I like flats better but the last few batches I made the drummetes turned out better.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12246 posts
2018 upvotes
Mr_Fanta wrote: Anyone know where the cheapest places to get good soya chicken wings at BBQ takeouts? My price went up to $9.50/lb from $8/lb earlier this year at Wok & Roast BBQ located at Broadview and Gerrard. Their next door BBQ takeout competitor admitted to me, they don't even sell soya chicken wings themselves because wings are so damn expensive.

https://wokandroastbbq.ca
Anything you really recommend from this place? Just moved nearby and so far pretty happy with their food but haven't tried a lot just their BBQ.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 20, 2010
4685 posts
2835 upvotes
^ I really don't get anything from their menu other then the BBQ takeouts which you are already familiar with. To be honest, I really just buy their soya sauce chicken wings. The other BBQ takeout I usually buy from their next door competitor because they are cheaper. If they sold soya chicken wings themselves, I wouldn't have to set foot @Wok & Roast BBQ because $9.50/lb plus taxes is just ridiculous.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
48415 posts
11704 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Mr_Fanta wrote: ^ I really don't get anything from their menu other then the BBQ takeouts which you are already familiar with. To be honest, I really just buy their soya sauce chicken wings. The other BBQ takeout I usually buy from their next door competitor because they are cheaper. If they sold soya chicken wings themselves, I wouldn't have to set foot @Wok & Roast BBQ because $9.50/lb plus taxes is just ridiculous.
The cheaper dirtier looking place actually makes better bbq. Lol...
Its where my fam gets whole roasted pigs for big family get togethers and occasions. Like my graduation and whenever someone comes in from out of town.

Ugh . I miss those :’(
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
2925 posts
2204 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Magoo wrote: My mistake, OP is referring to wingettes
It's $3.99 at my local Asian supermarket as well.

I prefer the wingettes so if it was $1.99 that's all I would be buying.
You gotta make an awful lot of those wingettes to get full... you get what you pay for. If you want 70% bones, I'm sure it's on sale.

Wing places that I used to go to usually got their wings from the US, where they're twice the size. Actually having a lot of meat on them is better than a bag of bones.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12246 posts
2018 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: The cheaper dirtier looking place actually makes better bbq. Lol...
Its where my fam gets whole roasted pigs for big family get togethers and occasions. Like my graduation and whenever someone comes in from out of town.

Ugh . I miss those :’(
will give them a try!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5792 posts
2553 upvotes
Durham
Asian Supermarkets all the way!

Good price.

Split them up in portions and then marinade them ... vacuum seal it.

When you want them ... take them out of the freezer ... toss on grill or the air fryer!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Member
User avatar
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
220 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Was at Lone Thai Chinese supermarket yesterday, they have med wings for $1.99/lb. Boxes of atulfo mangos for $13.99 (they were $9.99 last year) prices have increased even at these places but still cheaper than mainstream.

Top