• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2018 9:12 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
120 posts
8 upvotes

Where do you get info on plans?

My father is buying his first mobile phone, although he is unsure of what he wants. [Probably needs 2-300 minutes + 2-4 GB month]

Given the confusing array of mobile phone plans, is there a website that lists and compares them? Or are you supposed to go to 3-4 providers and look at all their plans?
15 replies
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
120 posts
8 upvotes
I'd say he's willing to go up to $45/mo. Preferably less.

He's mainly going to be using it to check e-mail, social media, restaraunt web offers, and traffic directions. You know, suburban stuff. He's not using it professionally.

So he'll have data needs to communicate with his friends, and get websites, but nothing like heavy video streaming or anything like that.

And I guess this is not the greatest time to buy a phone. Will some of the (former) flagship prices come down in March? He probably only really needs a Moto G5 Plus, though.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12314 posts
1866 upvotes
Kanata
$45/month with a subsized phone, or he's going to bring his own phone that he will buy somewhere?

What province?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16047 posts
4551 upvotes
Markham
The_Guy222 wrote: My father is buying his first mobile phone, although he is unsure of what he wants. [Probably needs 2-300 minutes + 2-4 GB month]

Given the confusing array of mobile phone plans, is there a website that lists and compares them? Or are you supposed to go to 3-4 providers and look at all their plans?
http://bestbuy.comparecellular.com/comp ... egionID=61
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Nov 9, 2014
570 posts
253 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
The $40 plan from Chatr.

INCLUDES

Unlimited in-zone Canada-wide Talk
Unlimited in-zone Text to Canada,
US & International
1 GB at 3G speed. Continue using data at a reduced speed until your next Anniversary Date.
International Talk Saver
Voicemail
In-zone Data Management Policy
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Jan 17, 2013
687 posts
270 upvotes
The_Guy222 wrote: My father is buying his first mobile phone, although he is unsure of what he wants. [Probably needs 2-300 minutes + 2-4 GB month]

You asked "Where do you get info on plans?", there is this whistleout.ca site that provide info on plans from all carriers where you can do comparisons instead of visiting each site individually, if that is what you are looking for. If not, visit the providers' site individually to get the info you are looking for. I've seen the whistleout.ca site but have never used it to select a plan so I can't tell if the info from that site is accurate or otherwise.

https://www.whistleout.ca/
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1831 posts
987 upvotes

Gee wrote: Look at Zoomer.

They usually have a $40 plan with 2 gigs of data

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/zoomer- ... 0-2139556/
+1 for Zoomer.

$36/month for 2gb, 400 daytime minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends. Must take a 2 year contract and a subsidized phone for this promo price and it is not advertised on their website. After 6 months, if he finds 2gb isn't enough, he can switch to the 4gb $45 Loyalty Plan w/unlimited talk/text.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
120 posts
8 upvotes
Thanks, everyone, for the website and the plan information. I think the Zoomer one isn't half-bad.

He doesn't have a phone yet, so he could go with a subsidized plan as proposed here. We're in Ontario.

I had a crazy idea, though. He likes my Redmi Note 3 Pro.

What if we bought him a Redmi 4A? It's nearly the same, right? We could put dual SIMs in and get a tablet data plan and a voice-only data plan, and they could come cheaper than many combined plans, right?
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
120 posts
8 upvotes
PhonesGuy wrote: The $40 plan from Chatr.

Could you tell me what network Chatr is on? I am thinking of using an unlocked phone like a Redmi Note or a Motorola G5 Plus / E4 or something like that.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14230 posts
11980 upvotes
Not Leask
The_Guy222 wrote: Could you tell me what network Chatr is on? I am thinking of using an unlocked phone like a Redmi Note or a Motorola G5 Plus / E4 or something like that.
Chatr is on Rogers network.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1831 posts
987 upvotes
The_Guy222 wrote: Thanks, everyone, for the website and the plan information. I think the Zoomer one isn't half-bad.

He doesn't have a phone yet, so he could go with a subsidized plan as proposed here. We're in Ontario.

I had a crazy idea, though. He likes my Redmi Note 3 Pro.

What if we bought him a Redmi 4A? It's nearly the same, right? We could put dual SIMs in and get a tablet data plan and a voice-only data plan, and they could come cheaper than many combined plans, right?
Depends on how many gigs of data they need, how many daytime minutes, and if they require unlimited text. If they don't need much talk/text, the 3gb for $15 with Fido is a good option if you use an app for your talk/text. If you decide to get a separate SIM for talk/text, this can still work out to be cheaper if the plan is $20 a month or less.

If not and 2gb and 400 daytime minutes work, Zoomer at $36/month is still your best option.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Nov 16, 2014
192 posts
80 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
If the man has never had a cellphone, I seriously doubt that he would use 200 - 300 minutes and 2 - 4 GB. I would expect him to use about one tenth of those numbers. Maybe if he has no home phone and no access to WIFI. Otherwise he will be spending a lot to fill a need he never had until now.
[OP]
Sep 25, 2009
120 posts
8 upvotes
My father is a heavily user of the landline, uses countless minutes per month. I don't expect him to transfer all of his activity to mobile (and hope he doesn't), but his needs are greater than the average person in terms of voice calling.

But if the suggested plans are overkill, is there one that's about 120-200 minutes, with about 500 Mb - 1 Gb? Something that can be purchased on a monthly basis as a trial?