Where do you search for FLIGHT TICKETS?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2018 8:15 am
Jan 10, 2018
51 posts
48 upvotes

Where do you search for FLIGHT TICKETS?

Hello

I need to go to the UK for a couple of days for a wedding. I usually book through an agent but have been told that it is cheaper to do it myself through comparison websites.

Which websites do you recommend? As I am going for 3-4 days, I don't want to be spending too much so hoping to get a deal

14 replies
Jan 1, 2018
136 posts
26 upvotes
I used google flights but I also check out the websites of the airline I am interested in flying with. Cheapoair just to compare cost...dont book with them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Check Google flights and then check against the airline. Book the one that's cheapest.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2779 posts
1134 upvotes
Winnipeg
cheapoair.ca - Last 2-3 trips were booked here, as it got me the best rate.
expedia.ca
kayak.com
travelocity
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1568 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
Google flights (or their elder brother, ITA matrix) to price shop; airlines' own websites to buy, or go to a bricks and mortar agent if it's more complicated (even if there is a fee to them issuing the ticket).

I rarely find the big online travel agents like Expedia offer anything markedly better, and they get in the way rather than help if anything goes wrong (there is a travel snafu that day, or you need to change your plans).
And I avoid like the plague the smaller, discount travel aggregators like cheapoair for simple plane tickets. For a full-fledged vacation package, maybe, but for a simple flight to/from Europe, in my experience most of the time they offer the same as the airlines direct, with a bit more convenience at booking, but with no after-sales service to speak of if you need it. And for every story I've heard about someone genuinely getting a better fare on them, I've heard another story of bait'n'switch or real problems during snafus that could have been avoided by booking direct.

Simple airfares have become a commodity product. It's not unheard of to get a really good fare only offered through some specific consolidator, but it's pretty darn rare. So might as well buy in a way that minimizes your risk.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
ITA Matrix/Google Flights (same thing different interface)
Hipmunk
Expedia
Kayak

Always book directly with the airline once you found the routing and price you want. Use the above ONLY to find prices and routings.
Make sure you're not comparing apples to oranges - makes no sense comparing a LCC/no frills/basic economy fare (WOW Air, Primera, trashcan, joke air, etc - you know the suspects) vs full service like Air Canada or British Airways.
I'd say if you're going to a wedding and don't wan't to risk delays or other issues, suck it up and fly full service nonstop. Why add more points of failure to save a measly $50?

(edited to add) If you aren't splurging/points-upgrading for business/premium economy, seek out airlines that fly Boeing 777's at 9-across (so the 3-3-3 layout) in economy. Some airlines have been cramming 777's 10-across (so 3-4-3) which make for uncomfortably narrower seats (and aisles). Similarly too many airlines flying the 787 have those 9-across; note that the 787 is a narrower plane than the 777, so those are also bad seats.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Apr 23rd, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I always book through the actual airline website, but I research through Google Flights and Kayak.

Just make sure you book directly with the airline, as it's much easier to fix any problem or mix-up without a middleman travel agency.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4522 posts
3685 upvotes
Ottawa
Jucius Maximus wrote: I always book through the actual airline website, but I research through Google Flights and Kayak.

Just make sure you book directly with the airline, as it's much easier to fix any problem or mix-up without a middleman travel agency.
This generally true and airlines usually match the expedia fare. There are often cheaper fares available on Skyscanner or Kayak who will link to sites like , Kiwi.com, travel2be, my trip etc that use hacker fares, self transfers and rebates to get even lower fares. Sometimes the fares are not live and therefore not really available. Their customer service is probably even worse than Expedia so buyer beware.
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
212 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Google flights is your best option.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
inda6ix wrote: Google flights is your best option.
Arguably ITA Matrix is superior (more powerful/flexible) -- remember Google Flights is just a more user-friendly interface of ITA (which Google also owns).
If you just like to hunt for itineraries Kayak/Expedia style, use Google, but if you need customizations use ITA.
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
212 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Arguably ITA Matrix is superior (more powerful/flexible) -- remember Google Flights is just a more user-friendly interface of ITA (which Google also owns).
If you just like to hunt for itineraries Kayak/Expedia style, use Google, but if you need customizations use ITA.
Cool thanks for info
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Momomdo

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!