Shopping Discussion

Where does Costco send their discontinued merchandise?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2011 11:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 23, 2008
78 posts
11 upvotes
BC

Where does Costco send their discontinued merchandise?

I saw a wooden bedframe for sale last Sunday at Costco in Burnaby, BC. They had a stack of at least 10 boxes on the floor.
Yesterday, I called another Costco with the item# to see if they were in stock at a closer location, and and they told me that the item is discontinued! So I called the Burnaby location where I had just seen them a week ago and they told me the same thing! I was shocked to hear that an item with a lot of stock on the floor was removed from their system. They obviously didn't sell 10 beds in one week, so where does the discontinued merchandise get sent to? Does MTF sell this stuff in BC?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1391 posts
71 upvotes
ultraslow wrote: I saw a wooden bedframe for sale last Sunday at Costco in Burnaby, BC. They had a stack of at least 10 boxes on the floor.
Yesterday, I called another Costco with the item# to see if they were in stock at a closer location, and and they told me that the item is discontinued! So I called the Burnaby location where I had just seen them a week ago and they told me the same thing! I was shocked to hear that an item with a lot of stock on the floor was removed from their system. They obviously didn't sell 10 beds in one week, so where does the discontinued merchandise get sent to? Does MTF sell this stuff in BC?

rotate to another store.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3444 posts
170 upvotes
GTA
When I worked retail, if an item was discontinued, depending on the arrangement with the supplier, we either returned unsold items to the supplier, or destroyed them by smashing them with a hammer and throwing the pieces in the trash compactor.

Now some "discarded" items may have accidentally found their way to the homes of some of the employees...
Dec 23, 2010
451 posts
29 upvotes
in the GTA, they send discont items to the Mississauga branch. (with additional mark downs!)
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19108 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
They'll mark it down severely and sell it off. If there's a problem that renders it unsaleable it goes back to the manufacturer. Look for the asterisk in the upper right hand corner of the price tag to know if it's discontinued, and look for any price ending in .97 (instead of the usual .99) to know if it's marked down.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2459 posts
1770 upvotes
Prince George
Yes there used to be a lot of stuff that looked like it came from Costco at MTF Liquidators. I haven't been in there in a couple of years though so I don't know if they still send anything there.

Edit: I have learned that lesson several times over now... if you see something you like at Costco, *buy it* right then. There are absolutely no guarantees you'll ever be able to find one again. If you change your mind you can return it.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4171 posts
3448 upvotes
Toronto
rtnew wrote: in the GTA, they send discont items to the Mississauga branch. (with additional mark downs!)

Actually, in the GTA at least, when on clearance xx.97 pricing, they consolidate them at one GTA location, but it varies. I think it depends on which one has more shelf space available or maybe that location was selling more of them previously, so there's more of a market for them in that area. I've noticed that hardware/construction clearance items seem to be more prevalent at Billy Bishop (Downsview), but other than that, it's anyone's guess. That's why I usually pop into any Costco I drive by to see what that location has on clearance, even if I already shopped at Costco that week.

Picked up a couple of clearance kitchen appliances at Warden/Ellesmere last week, for instance.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
ultraslow wrote: I saw a wooden bedframe for sale last Sunday at Costco in Burnaby, BC. They had a stack of at least 10 boxes on the floor.

How do you know? Costco is a high volume business. You'd be surprised at how fast stock moves. I've been surprised at the difference in stock from one day to the next. As someone else said, when you see something at Costco, grab it because it likely won't be there when you go back. You can always return it if need be. But better safe than sorry.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10816 posts
1348 upvotes
Edmonton
Cheap Cat wrote: How do you know? Costco is a high volume business. You'd be surprised at how fast stock moves. I've been surprised at the difference in stock from one day to the next. As someone else said, when you see something at Costco, grab it because it likely won't be there when you go back. You can always return it if need be. But better safe than sorry.

Yup, markdown stuff moves crazy fast, especially on the weekend. I remember when I was an HP rep when the had the Business Class inkjets on a huge discount. (something like $450 to $250) I sold something like 6 pallets worth, they had to keep bringing them down from the top stock.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19108 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
Even regular stuff goes quick. Ever tried to get one of those $35 tower fans? I finally got one this week after 4 years (2 of which I worked there) because I spotted a random pallet of them at the Downsview location. Those things usually sell out in a day or so once they're brought in in the summer.
Nov 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote

You could try GENCO
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11251 posts
1317 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Even regular stuff goes quick. Ever tried to get one of those $35 tower fans? I finally got one this week after 4 years (2 of which I worked there) because I spotted a random pallet of them at the Downsview location. Those things usually sell out in a day or so once they're brought in in the summer.

I've spotted these available many times this year...lots of availability IMO. Its a nice fan though, I have two of them. But I do agree, I think it is very very likely costco sold 10 beds in a week.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4100 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
Liquidation World in BC is claiming to carry costco goods as of March 17th, I haven't been in to see what they have yet tho.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2008
78 posts
11 upvotes
BC
Well, I was wrong, apparently the price was reduced during the week and all 10 beds flew out the door.
Oh well, not good enough reason for me to check into Costco more often...