Computers & Electronics

Where does everyone buy their printer ink?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 9:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1567 posts
745 upvotes

Where does everyone buy their printer ink?

Ive been spoiled in my 30+yrs of my life and Ive decided to finally put my big boy pants on and bought my first printer.

Now I just had this realization on how ridic these ink prices are. I peeped some Amazon reviews and some non-OEM ones are pretty discouraging tbh.

Does anyone go for OEM or is there a good alternatives out there?

Inkjet if that matters

TIA
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Dec 15th, 2020 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Oct 15, 2020
62 posts
20 upvotes
Richmond HIll
Are you using inkjet or laser? I have two brother printers and once the toners run out, I just go on Amazon and buy the cheapest ones I can find. Usually they are around $20 for 2 or 3 cartridges, and each one lasts about the same amount as the legit ones. Quality is a little bit worse though, but I'm just printing text so it doesn't matter to me. If you're using inkjet and printing photos or detail-heavy prints, then I would probably suggest going with the manufacturer cartridges for better reliability.
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8066 posts
2736 upvotes
Maple
Just bought my after market (Moustache) black ink for my Brother colour laser printer from 123ink.
Dec 6, 2020
380 posts
356 upvotes
I saw the effective price of ink (including the need to replace full ink cartridges because they've 'expired') and bought a laser printer instead. It's probably paid for itself several times over.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4741 posts
1405 upvotes
0 downvotes
I have a ink jet, i get my ink at costco
Hi
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4732 posts
1697 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Ive been spoiled in my 30+yrs of my life and Ive decided to finally put my big boy pants on and bought my first printer.

Now I just had this realization on how ridic these ink prices are. I peeped some Amazon reviews and some non-OEM ones are pretty discouraging tbh.

Does anyone go for OEM or is there a good alternatives out there?

TIA
Amazon or Costco or Walmart
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1567 posts
745 upvotes
blademagic wrote: Are you using inkjet or laser? I have two brother printers and once the toners run out, I just go on Amazon and buy the cheapest ones I can find. Usually they are around $20 for 2 or 3 cartridges, and each one lasts about the same amount as the legit ones. Quality is a little bit worse though, but I'm just printing text so it doesn't matter to me. If you're using inkjet and printing photos or detail-heavy prints, then I would probably suggest going with the manufacturer cartridges for better reliability.
Inkjet

I guess Ill just bite the bullet on Amazon
Mar 26, 2008
453 posts
175 upvotes
for printing mostly text i have a few older hp laserjets that i got off kijiji for 20$ and the toner comes to a bit over 10$ each on ebay if you buy 2 or 3 of them.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12289 posts
3437 upvotes
buy b&w laser, toner cost like $20 and last forever

if you are going to print colours... then just dont

unlike no circumstances that you should be a inkjet
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3507 posts
3742 upvotes
GTA
I used to buy from 123ink but recently decided to stop. I bought a 4-pack of toner from them a few years back and just had to change toner on a black and one of the colours. The black didn't work but the colour was fine. I've emailed their support a few times but they insist it is old toner, not an incompatible cartridge, despite the fact that the colour toner from that same "old" order works fine, and the black toner cartridge looks different and doesn't fit as well. So I ordered from Amazon using Prime and had the printer running in less than a day. Too bad for 123ink, as I would like to support them since they're Canadian but Amazon is cheaper, faster, free delivery with Prime, and most importantly the toner fit perfectly and worked. Not worth arguing further with 123ink, so I'll take my business elsewhere.

Personally I prefer colour laser over inkjet. I had been using inkjets for a few decades, from about 3-4 different manufacturers, and they're not worth it IMO. Cheap up front purchase but the ink is too expensive. I even did refilling myself but found the quality lacking and it is more time, effort and mess than I want to deal with. Laser, even a cheap B&W, is better than inkjet any day.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1508 upvotes
WFH
Most of us who've had our big boy pants on for years found out the hard way that inkjets are for suckers.
Print a lot, it costs a fortune to run
Don't print enough, the cartridges dry and clog and it ends up costing you just as much

Once you get sick of paying for cartridges consider this:
If you want to print photos get them printed commercially.
A B&W multi-function laser (Canon or Brother) is the sweet spot.
If you need to do a lot of colour printing a colour laser may be the best option but they can be quite expensive to run but still not as expensive as an inkjet.
Your local library may be an option for occasional colour prints
Last edited by dirtmover on Dec 15th, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3507 posts
3742 upvotes
GTA
dirtmover wrote: Print a lot, it costs a fortune to run
Don't print enough, the cartridges dry and clog and it ends up costing you just as much
Oh geez this
With a laser printer, you can use them sporadically and they generally work. Inkjets are a money pit once you buy one.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2092 posts
2034 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Oh geez this
With a laser printer, you can use them sporadically and they generally work. Inkjets are a money pit once you buy one.
I don't know when was the last time you guys had inkject printers but for past 10 years or more, this has never happened to me.
I don't print often.
It had happened to me before, maybe early days of inkject printers but not any more. maybe they have improved.

to OP, never buy OEM inks. buy non-oem, save money, incase non-oem breaks your printer, you would have saved enough money to buy new printer.
my rule when it comes to inkject is, buy cheap printer, buy non-oem ink.
Oct 14, 2009
710 posts
257 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
sexyj wrote: buy b&w laser, toner cost like $20 and last forever
Yeah, inkjets are the worst.

Unfortunately I learned that lesson at the end of university and now that I have a laser, I rarely print anything anymore.

But I had many late, panicked nights in university because I was at a deadline, or the night before exams and my ink ran dry.

Friends don't let friends use ink.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1216 posts
295 upvotes
For my older HP Laserjet multifunction I used toner from 123ink but they tended to leave black streaks in the margin. I love my new Brother 2750 and just ordered toner from them. If you go on chat and tell them you will likely go generic because it’s cheaper they will give you 25% off.
Aug 13, 2009
99 posts
6 upvotes
Got a Samsung MF2885FW (and another samsung before that, model escapes me) and have always bought from 123ink. Never had any issues, the toners last a long time.