• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2021 11:56 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 29, 2017
150 posts
29 upvotes

Where to find gumbo file?

Do local stores in the GTA or west of GTA carry gumbo file or even sassafras leaves? I don't feel like going to a spice specialty store if I don't have to. I already checked NoFrills, Food Basics, Costco, Walmart and some other stores.
8 replies
Feb 19, 2004
237 posts
20 upvotes
burlington on
None to be found.. looked for a while.. ended up buying online at silk road spices
[OP]
May 29, 2017
150 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks, but you just confirm my fear. I was hoping bulkbarn has it, but not according to their website. Pasquale brothers has it but their hours are not good, for me. Amazon has it for $12.
Do you remember the shipping cost from Silk Road Spices?
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
Call the downstairs spice place at st. Lawrence market.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14233 posts
9014 upvotes
Markham
Where are you located...fix your profile. I have a bottle at home that I bought when I was in New Orleans, it's open and 4 yrs old but probably still OK.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9705 posts
3996 upvotes
Toronto
I would try house of spice on Kensington
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
May 29, 2017
150 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks for your kind offer, gr8dlr, but I'll have to decline it, I'm on the other side of GTA, Markham is too far away. I used to go there once in a while before the pandemic but not anymore. What brand is yours from New Orleans, just curious? I think I may have to order from amazon if I can't find it in local. Don't want to go to downtown.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14233 posts
9014 upvotes
Markham
sharkhead wrote: Thanks for your kind offer, gr8dlr, but I'll have to decline it, I'm on the other side of GTA, Markham is too far away. I used to go there once in a while before the pandemic but not anymore. What brand is yours from New Orleans, just curious? I think I may have to order from amazon if I can't find it in local. Don't want to go to downtown.
Funny thing is if you buy this in a store it wherever, they could be just as old IMO
IMG_20210508_101632.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3093 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Funny thing is if you buy this in a store it wherever, they could be just as old IMO

IMG_20210508_101632.jpg
100%, there's no "best before" date on these products. What is in gumbo file tho? Some spices and a thickening agent (ground dried okra?)?

This place sells it for $6, of course will probably need to pad the order for shipping.

https://gourmetwarehouse.ca/file-powder-40g/