Off Topic

Where to find new content on internet? I've seem to have lost touch.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5117 posts
495 upvotes

Where to find new content on internet? I've seem to have lost touch.

I noticed I'm just cycling between here, reddit, youtube and facebook. I really want to get out of this loop. Where do you all find interesting things on the internet? It seems gone are the days in the late 90s where you would just look for things
14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8512 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Welp-Sir..............what do you like?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1116 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of international online news sources.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9033 posts
2893 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote: I noticed I'm just cycling between here, reddit, youtube and facebook. I really want to get out of this loop. Where do you all find interesting things on the internet? It seems gone are the days in the late 90s where you would just look for things
https://www.google.com/search?q=Where+d ... e&ie=UTF-8
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13548 posts
8512 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
and lots of fake news online as well..
lpin14 wrote: Lots of international online news sources.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8976 posts
2573 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9274 posts
10809 upvotes
Vancouver
Random Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
Keep clicking that until you get something interesting. Follow the wikilinks to more interesting stuff.

Also, log in to your local public library's site. They will have a ton of online subscriptions to things like Ancestry, Acorn TV, the NY Times, Pressreader, language learning, eBooks, streaming audio, etc. Your property taxes are already paying for all of this stuff, go use them!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3298 upvotes
I have some FREE 1-month passes for the Daily Beast (politics and pop culture, similar to New York magazine with shopping guides, entertainment, fashion) and the Washington Post (Jeff Bezos' unapologetically anti Trump organ) that I can share.

I have just started subscribing to sites that I hit frequently out of my Twitter feed. My buddy here keeps adding tv and streaming packages, why can't have something good to read? A lot of outlets offer subscriptions for $1/week for 6 months or a year so about $4.52/month with ON tax. I have the Toronto Star and New York Post and some other things on account of this. If I read just one article a day I am paying $0.15/article and I read far more than that. I think it is a good value.

You also get access to premium achives - the NYT has been around for 169 years so you can go back to read real-time news from the 1850's onwards. Gives you a different perspective on history. Toronto Star is 128 years old, Washington Post is 142 years old - there are a lot of papers that have very deep archives.

The media industry is collapsing and there are tremendous layoffs everywhere. I like to show my support.

Do you have Prime? Under Kindle-->Prime Reading on Amazon there are a number of titles you can read for free. A few that are on my list to read right now are:

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary Kindle Edition
https://www.amazon.ca/Professor-Madman- ... 000FCKM7E/

I always meant to read this one, bestseller. The complete Oxford English Dictionary is a 20-volume set. Starting from scratch on a dictionary is a mindbogglingly large task, especially when you are working before the age of computers, with with slips of paper and people's vibrant recall or dedicated review of literature. You have to be a little crazy to take something like this on. The OED project was initially driven forward by two characters, Scottish lexicographer James Murray (who wrote the snide definition "oats: (noun) a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.") and a literal madman, William Chester Minor, who had been confined to a lunatic asylum after murdering a guy in a paranoid fit, and had a lot of time in his hands. I spent one summer as a student working for a dictionary project where they had the complete OED set and it was a thrill to play with it because it wasn't every day I ran across one. Now it's dictionary.com? Read it just to wrap your mind around what they were able to achieve.

Betty Crocker Lost Recipes: Beloved Vintage Recipes for Today's Kitchen Kindle Edition
https://www.amazon.ca/Betty-Crocker-Los ... 073XCBR8R/

(Read) 120 years of classic American-origin recipes. It's got mayo. It's got pimientos. It's got a Lumberjack Macaroni that starts with 2 cups of elbows and 2 cups of processed cheese spread. Of note, the "seafood" classics: hot crab dip, Manhattan clam chowder, tuna noodle casserole, and the many things you can do with ground meat. Lots of great stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's using cheap, readily-available ingredients. Reading this made me feel like I was tail-gating in the parking lot of a Trump rally. A well-edited collection of white American classics.

From the Source - Japan (Lonely Planet) Kindle Edition
https://www.amazon.ca/Source-Japan-Lone ... 01JR8CXAU/

Japanese cookbook, bestseller, there is also one for Spain, Thailand, others. To read to recover from the above ^

They also have a lot of out of copyright classics, a comic book series on politics, economics, philosophy, economics, etc., the first Harry Potter, lots of True Crime trash, self help classics...I have mostly browsed the non-fiction. There has got to be something that catches your attention.

If you want well-researched thought you generally have to pay for it with some kind of subscription.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2089 posts
1553 upvotes
Canada
Like the sexy kinky stuff?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9322 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
I like youtube for music, how to videos and cooking/recipes.
Pinterest is good too.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1663 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA West
Oni-kun wrote: I noticed I'm just cycling between here, reddit, youtube and facebook. I really want to get out of this loop. Where do you all find interesting things on the internet? It seems gone are the days in the late 90s where you would just look for things
If you are a curious person you will find that researching any small interest, in a person, place, event, etc. will quickly lead to all kinds of unexpected directions. But then you have to be more intellectually pro-active than the pure content consumer that many people have become.

The sites you mention have done a very good of aggregating and corralling entertainment and information. The trouble with these platforms is that they identify your interests based on your searches and then they feed you more of the same. So you stay in that loop.

I suggest subscribing to two high quality newspaper with different points of view. I also like to change the country setting on Google news so that I see news from different countries. That will give you a very diverse content. It is really important to read good journalism in papers whose biases are known. With Youtube and Facebook content you really have to figure out the source and motivation of the posters and what they are trying to achieve. Your view if the world can become very distorted if you are not able to do that.
Aug 21, 2011
846 posts
229 upvotes
If you dont use one already I highly suggest using an rss reader, it lets you curate content from all sorts of sites easily and effectively. It wont help you find new sites but it does let you manage what you care about much more efficiently than actually browsing the sites. Theres web based ones, app ones, self hosted cloud ones, etc. Ive moved to a self hosted one but for more casual users, there’s things like owlrss or im sure dozens of mobile apps. Good ones let you filter put the nonsense you dont care about and others even support notifications. Its how i auto monitor RFD or certain stores for specific things I want to buy but can wait indefinitely until theres a deal for.

I just subscribe to lots of news sites, blogs, forums, the few subreddits and YouTube channels i care about, etc. Theres even sites and tools to make rss feeds for the few sites that don’t support it natively.

Honestly the best part is it stops me from going down rabbit holes on sites whose primary goal is to keep you on there for as long as possible (ie most ad/data driven sites). It stops me from lazily browsing since the things i care about are already curated and filtered down based off my rules, i see what i want not what the site thinks will keep me there longest .
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4533 posts
2487 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Tried scientific paper?

Find a subject that interest you and see what science has to say about it

Use Google Scholars for finding them and after that use https://sci-hub.tw/ to access them if they are behind a pay wall

There's many interesting subject from winter tires security to health promotion
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6146 posts
1416 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Imgur....random interesting news, memes, pics