Food & Drink

Where to find one handed salt shaker and pepper mill ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2020 2:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
518 posts
349 upvotes

Where to find one handed salt shaker and pepper mill ?

We had something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Hall-Perry-Grinde ... B0769CGJ7J

Not exactly same, but very similar with "Chef'n" lettering. Lasted for at least 10yrs, cannot remember because it seems like we had it forever. Still have it, but pepper coming out in uneven chunks now.

Then we had one of the battery powered units, they frequently come on sale in CanadianTire for $6-7, they work well, the problem is these last about 6-12months then motor dies.

I would prefer the first type so looking if anyone seen them recently. If I cannot find it anywhere, will just get the motorized one, but seems like a waste to keep buying a new one every year.

81JfEyGiftL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
15 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4184 posts
2081 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Canadian Tire has the electric ones if thats what you are looking for. Other wise, take the above advice.
May 21, 2015
988 posts
542 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I have one similar to the one you seek.. It was made by Star-Frit... looks almost the same but it's white and not see-thru. Had it for years and years.. Doesn't look like it's available on their website now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6807 posts
3099 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Forget CT. You want one from here and/or here .
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6807 posts
3099 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Pete_Coach wrote: Did you see what the OP wanted???
Your links are not what he wants.
If you can't read (that there a good assortment of electric mills - some as low as €20 a pair), too bad for you.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10428 upvotes
Ottawa
thriftshopper wrote: If you can't read (that there a good assortment of electric mills - some as low as €20 a pair), too bad for you.
Yes I can read.....can you? LOL
OP asked for "one handed salt shaker and pepper mill ". Seems you are the one that missed that part...he didn't want a battery operated one.....and you even missed the picture he provided LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6807 posts
3099 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Only because the OP doesn't want to buy (cheap probably made-in-China) motorized units that die within a year, but will if he/she has to. The motorized designed (and remotely possibly made) in France/Germany but could equally be made in China) units may last a few months longer. The Peugeot and WMF units are single hand operated.

Anything one handed, light and plastic - even manual - will break, just a matter of time. Those squeeze-handled ones look particularly fragile; used to see them n the market and I suspect they disappeared for a reason. I have manual WMF mills that have lasted me since I bought the first ones c. 2002. Haven't even worn out the ceramic grinder (which WMF sells replacements).
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10428 upvotes
Ottawa
thriftshopper wrote: Only because the OP doesn't want to buy (cheap probably made-in-China) motorized units that die within a year, but will if he/she has to. The motorized designed (and remotely possibly made) in France/Germany but could equally be made in China) units may last a few months longer. The Peugeot and WMF units are single hand operated.

Anything one handed, light and plastic - even manual - will break, just a matter of time. Those squeeze-handled ones look particularly fragile; used to see them n the market and I suspect they disappeared for a reason. I have manual WMF mills that have lasted me since I bought the first ones c. 2002. Haven't even worn out the ceramic grinder (which WMF sells replacements).
:facepalm: :facepalm:
Stay with the program dude LOL
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
7777 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
Oh gosh I remember having one of these back in the 90's...not sure I've seen them anywhere now but will keep an eye out for ya.
Heat 43-0-0
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
518 posts
349 upvotes
Ogata wrote: Oh gosh I remember having one of these back in the 90's...not sure I've seen them anywhere now but will keep an eye out for ya.
Thank you :)

I wonder why they stopped making these, the rabbit ear one Chef'n sells these days is IMO an inferior design. It may seem more elegant but has less utility and feels flimsy.

If someone improved on this 90's design and made dual side manual grinder, that would be even better. Grinding the salt into fine powder makes people use less of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6807 posts
3099 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ramon2 wrote: Thank you :)

I wonder why they stopped making these, the rabbit ear one Chef'n sells these days is IMO an inferior design.

If someone improved on this and made dual side manual grinder, that would be even better. Grinding the salt into fine powder makes people use less of it.
I don't think one can get an easy-to-use design that can exert the force required to grind pepper (salt is softer) with components that are durable enough to do such in a small package, other than with the rotary mill. The ceramic grinder is certainly more wear-resistant than the traditional steel ones.
[OP]
Nov 14, 2012
518 posts
349 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I don't think one can get an easy-to-use design that can exert the force required to grind pepper (salt is softer) with components that are durable enough to do such in a small package, other than with the rotary mill. The ceramic grinder is certainly more wear-resistant than the traditional steel ones.
I agree, the rotary mechanism has probably the highest force, especially since user uses the force of arm or whole wrist to turn it rather than force of a finger.

But notice on the picture, there is a lever mechanism that triples to quadruples the force of multiple fingers, where index finger has the highest mechanical advantage. In comparison with other designs, like the top button, which uses straight force and only single finger/thumb, this grinder feels quite easy to use.

This same design could be made dual-side with two lever mechanism and two spring-ed grinding panels.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6807 posts
3099 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
ramon2 wrote: But notice on the picture, there is a lever mechanism that triples to quadruples the force of multiple fingers, where index finger has the highest mechanical advantage. In comparison with other designs, like the top button, which uses straight force and only single finger/thumb, this grinder feels quite easy to use.

This same design could be made dual-side with two lever mechanism and two spring-ed grinding panels.
Trouble is, its complicated and unless the components are of (or even if) high-quality, prone to breakage and failure, probably sooner rather than later if price/cost to manufacture) is low..