[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11520 posts
1488 upvotes
GVR

Where to find a shorter M6 bolt?

I have a M6 bolt like so:

and it is 25mm long. I'm in need of one that is 20mm long. I'll be heading out to Home Depot+Canadian tire soon, although I wasn't able to find an option on either of their sites.

Is there any sort of store that might specialize in bolts or have more of an assortment to choose from?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Bolts Plus, Fastenal, brafasco (HD Supply)... Home depot should have it though. Or you can cut it to length with a grinder + cut off wheel or a hacksaw
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1724 posts
1196 upvotes
Barrie ON
For the sake of convenience, I would also suggest cutting off the excess with a hacksaw or preferably a cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool.

Just thread on a nut before making the cut. When you remove the nut afterwards, it will clean out any damaged threads caused by the cutting.
Nov 30, 2015
440 posts
229 upvotes
GTA, ON
I have gotten machine bolts from Brafasco a number of times that are not available at HD. In fact the HD helper sent me there. If you do go there I'd suggest you take the M6 bolt you have with you and they will try to find the right one for you.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11520 posts
1488 upvotes
GVR
lazybummer wrote: I have gotten machine bolts from Brafasco a number of times that are not available at HD. In fact the HD helper sent me there. If you do go there I'd suggest you take the M6 bolt you have with you and they will try to find the right one for you.
Thanks - Home Depot actually sent me to Fastenal but closed Sunday... I'll visit them tomorrow, otherwise Brafasco!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Kaitlyn wrote: Thanks - Home Depot actually sent me to Fastenal but closed Sunday... I'll visit them tomorrow, otherwise Brafasco!
fastenal might not sell you an individual bolt, they will want you to buy a box of 50-100. Brafasco or Bolts Plus would be a better choice
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11520 posts
1488 upvotes
GVR
schade wrote: fastenal might not sell you an individual bolt, they will want you to buy a box of 50-100. Brafasco or Bolts Plus would be a better choice
Ah, thanks. It seems they are very close to each other in Toronto, so here's hoping I have some success tomorrow!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2579 posts
877 upvotes
Yeah, Bolts + will the better bet for smaller quantities. It might cost a buck or two, but you won't have 49 left over at the end of the day.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7351 upvotes
Paris
Lowes has a LOT of weird stock in their bins but fastenal/brafasco a better bet