Food & Drink

Where to get dried onions like inside Indomie noodles?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2020 3:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5091 posts
476 upvotes

Where to get dried onions like inside Indomie noodles?

Does anyone know where I get the dried fried onions that come in the indomie noodles?
12 replies
May 29, 2008
761 posts
289 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm pretty sure he's talking about bawang goreng (fried onions) and not dried onions. You can get them from pretty much any chinese supermarket. I've also seen them at some western grocery stores that have international departments. I believe I've seen it at some No Frills and Freshcos.

Edit: Also, the poster above me is correct that they are supposed to be fried shallots, even if the packaging says fried onions.
Jan 22, 2017
310 posts
200 upvotes
GTA
Heartburn city. Wish I could est these without side effects.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4590 posts
1999 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Strafe1 wrote: The Divya brand Fried Onions are often found for $2 at 454g a pack at many stores like Food Basics, much cheaper than the Suraj ones showing at RCSS/Loblaws for $3.78 at 400g.
That's assuming you don't live in a white bread area where RCSS is pretty much your only choice for many genuine ethnic foods.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
Any indian store has them
Even freshco walmart etc
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1367 posts
837 upvotes
The Indian fried onions are meant for cooking purposes, not toppings. Most of them are coated in a starch/floor too. There are some that use them for topping, but it doesn't look like what the OP is asking for, which seem to be fried shallots, that are used as toppings / garnish like these:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/05/how ... llots.html

Nothing wrong with the Indian fried onions, and some are better than others, specially to cut down the time it takes to make biryanis and such.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3293 upvotes
The fried shallots are golden and light tasting. The Indian ones tend to be toastier. I don't find them to be the same.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4590 posts
1999 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've had fried shallots before but they were private imports from SE Asia. Cant say I've noticed them in shops (east asian a.k.a. chinese or vietnamese, and south asian a.k.a. Indian (specificaly Punjabi or Gujarati) in Vancouver
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9319 posts
3597 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve tried the crispy fried onion toppers from Dollarama which are pretty good and cheap of course
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.