Computers & Electronics

Where to get High Quality Replacement Laptop Batteries?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2021 3:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15470 posts
3766 upvotes
Toronto

Where to get High Quality Replacement Laptop Batteries?

I have an Asus K53E Laptop purchased in Dec 2011 and the original battery is capacity is dropped from 59,400 mWh to 50,006 mWh on a full charge using a Win 10 Powershell command. I am looking to get a replacement battery from a reputable company. I see many sellers on Ebay and Amazon with varying levels of reviews. I was hoping someone could suggest a vendor that they have had a good experience with their battery replacements. I have attached the specs of the battery that I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

battery.jpg
Last edited by hightech on Apr 2nd, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
9 replies
Jan 10, 2005
449 posts
171 upvotes
With the stated capacity loss, you are way more likely to do WORSE with a replacement battery. I would leave it alone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5024 posts
1885 upvotes
Back to the manufacturer ...
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1327 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto
So it's dropped about 10% in nearly 10 years. There's nothing wrong with your battery, in fact it's performing better than most.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15470 posts
3766 upvotes
Toronto
The Canterbury Tail wrote: So it's dropped about 10% in nearly 10 years. There's nothing wrong with your battery, in fact it's performing better than most.
I updated the numbers based on the recent test and is more like a 16% loss. Still, that is not too bad given the age. That being said, the laptop runs on AC most of the time and only on battery occasionally as it is always plugged in.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5962 posts
2478 upvotes
Debtario
That's amazing battery life over a decade, most batteries would be running for minutes after that long.

It likely helped that it doesn't have many cycles on it, but leaving a battery plugged in and fully charged doesn't help it either. Unless you do what I did back when laptops had removable batteries: remove the battery when the laptop was left plugged in for an extended period.

In my experience, the best quality replacement batteries are the OEM ones, followed by DIY rebuilt batteries if you pick your own cells. Otherwise, there tends to always be a catch, either you get lower capacity than advertised and/or the batteries degrade rather quickly. Worst case you get dangerous cells that explode.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3878 posts
21651 upvotes
If you want OEM consistency, go an OEM battery from the manufacturer. The only downside is who knows how long the last time these were made and how good will they be after you get one in your hands.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15470 posts
3766 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: That's amazing battery life over a decade, most batteries would be running for minutes after that long.

It likely helped that it doesn't have many cycles on it, but leaving a battery plugged in and fully charged doesn't help it either. Unless you do what I did back when laptops had removable batteries: remove the battery when the laptop was left plugged in for an extended period.

In my experience, the best quality replacement batteries are the OEM ones, followed by DIY rebuilt batteries if you pick your own cells. Otherwise, there tends to always be a catch, either you get lower capacity than advertised and/or the batteries degrade rather quickly. Worst case you get dangerous cells that explode.
Thanks for the suggestions. The battery does not have many cycles as you mentioned, and the Asus charger/computer firmware does not overcharge the battery either. I think I may just keep using what I have now till the runtime is really poor. At that time, even a replacement battery will be better than a severely depleted one.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22099 posts
3318 upvotes
Toronto
you might want to consider a battery rebuild when the time is right? Might not be the cheapest

I haven't used them (yet) but other RFDers highly recommend the below folks in London, ONT:

CHANS Battery Rebuild
Our company - CHANS Battery Rebuild- has been repairing batteries since 2004 using the highest quality materials. As such, your rebuilt battery will outperform and outlast newly replacement batteries. We replace every cell in the battery, so it is as though we a placing a brand new battery into your current electronic.

CHANS Battery Rebuild is located in London Ontario Canada. We are committed to offering a high-quality service while maintaining great prices for our customers. For this reason, we operate a home-based business.

You can drop off a battery or send it by Canada Post or other courier companies. The back shipping is paid by a customer as well.

Attention the US and other international customers: filling in the customs declaration make sure the the value is zero to avoid Entry Clearence Fee. Should any duties and taxes arise, it is a customer's responsibility to pay them.
Tel: +1 226-977-0998
e-mail:
info@chansbattery.ca
chansbattery@gmail.com

http://www.chansbattery.ca/

I'm going to use CHANS for my Lenovo T430s battery and our Dyson vacuum battery - both batteries barely hold a charge now...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5962 posts
2478 upvotes
Debtario
ji2o0k wrote: you might want to consider a battery rebuild when the time is right? Might not be the cheapest

I haven't used them (yet) but other RFDers highly recommend the below folks in London, ONT:

CHANS Battery Rebuild

Tel: +1 226-977-0998
e-mail:
info@chansbattery.ca
chansbattery@gmail.com

http://www.chansbattery.ca/

I'm going to use CHANS for my Lenovo T430s battery and our Dyson vacuum battery - both batteries barely hold a charge now...
Oh! Forgot about them, heard good things as well. I was going to drop off my old battery one time, but settled on a cheap ebay replacement that worked okay and didn't explode.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"