• May 19th, 2020 9:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6737 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa

Where to get snowblower parts?

Hey all, I'm struggling to find parts for my snowblower here in CAD, specifically shear pins, spark plugs and belts. Do I have to call into those small engine shops and go that route? I thought I could find a rockauto equivalent for my SB.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
Shear pins = HD or lowes, plugs too
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6737 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: Shear pins = HD or lowes, plugs too
I can’t find any for my model online though?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9677 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
jeeva86 wrote: I can’t find any for my model online though?
Sadly online for both is lacking as being off seasonal stuff they probably removed it from the web. I assume they are trying to upgrade during Covid19.

TSC probably has all you need.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6737 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: Sadly online for both is lacking as being off seasonal stuff they probably removed it from the web. I assume they are trying to upgrade during Covid19.

TSC probably has all you need.
I searched during the winter too and they didn’t have the parts specific to my snowblower. Tsc = the shopping channel? No hits for shear/sheer pins on there. I’m gonna try calling up a few local places and see.
Jan 13, 2006
92 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
When my parents' snowblower had problems (cable for drive wheels broke), I went to https://markhammower.com/. They deal with snowblower and lawn mower parts.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1939 posts
914 upvotes
London
jeeva86 wrote:
I can’t find any for my model online though?
jeeva86 wrote: I searched during the winter too and they didn’t have the parts specific to my snowblower. Tsc = the shopping channel? No hits for shear/sheer pins on there. I’m gonna try calling up a few local places and see.
For spark plugs, look up your ENGINE specs. Not snow blower info.
Manuals should be online. I know I've downloaded mine, which cover several manufacturers.
Or, read the number off your existing plug.
They should be readily available.

Shear pins should be pretty generic, and you don't need to find one for your model.
That is inhibiting your search.
If stock is an issue currently, wait until fall.
You don't need them now, they can be installed quickly, and forgetting is harmless (unlike, for example: forgetting to add oil).

Belts usually are pretty generic too.
Once you know the specs, they are likely an off the shelf item at TSC.

TSC (aka Tractor Supply company) existed long before The Shopping Channel arrived and with some has apparently taken over the previous usage of "TSC".

Tool rental companies are a pretty good source, as they stock supplies for their engines/equipment, plus often are dealers for products such as Toro, Ariens, etc.
Dec 4, 2009
322 posts
201 upvotes
In Mississauga go to Luke’s Mower and Machine, a fantastic place for parts...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
arisk wrote: ..
Shear pins should be pretty generic, and you don't need to find one for your model.
+1, there only a handful of actual manufacturers - MTD, briggs, Toro, Ariens, Husqvarna, Honda
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1426 posts
243 upvotes
Grimsby
jeeva86 wrote: Tsc = the shopping channel? No hits for shear/sheer pins on there. I’m gonna try calling up a few local places and see.
No, I suspect Jerico is referring to the Tractor Supply Company
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Alpine in Scarb.

https://alpinelawn.com/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8600 posts
5500 upvotes
Kootenays
Shear pins can vary. For MTD, Troy Built, Yardworks, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, etc., 710-0890 fits 2004 and earlier, 738-04124 fits 2005 and later. The earlier ones are thicker than the latter. Last time, I got mine from Home Hardware.
May 13, 2007
169 posts
76 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
jeeva86 wrote: I thought shear/sheer pins had to be "OEM" due to breaking points specs etc. Is it all just a gimmick? My SB model is B&S 1024LD - 1696610-02 so I can't find exact shear pins for it from the site above(Cutter's Choice), do I just get https://www.cutterschoice.ca/en/57030-s ... 1687404(k)?
If you are replacing these with SAME diameter & style, I don't think it would be tooooo much of an issue. If you have shear bolts like these that could be more of an issue given how much different the two are.
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1505 upvotes
WFH
If you want to buy everything local Yarmand have what you need. Belts are a lot cheaper from rockauto but i believe princess auto stock a line of heavy duty kevlar belts now.